- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Previously: Jim and Pam finally have their first date: a romantic night out in Manhattan. Pam plays tour guide for Jim at MoMA, they plot and scheme pranks on Dwight over dinner, and admire the view from the top of Rockefeller center.

Pam couldn't help but have a surreal feeling about tonight, it was a little like one of those silly romantic-comedies she used to watch with Kelly, only this was really happening. Here she was, on a date with the man she had had such a hopeless crush on for years, who she was convinced would never see her as more than a friend, who just three months ago was about to get someone else's gold band slipped onto his left ring finger. Now they're suddenly doing things like flirting in front of Van Gogh at MoMA, kissing at the top of a Manhattan skyscraper, holding hands while strolling down 5th Avenue.

After a few blocks of admiring the elaborate window decorations of the swanky department stores neither of them had any hope of shopping at, they reached an intersection and Jim glance down the road, "So, we're kind of nearing my hotel..."

"You already running out of steam, Halpert?" Pam teased.

He smiled, "No, but the Top of the Rock was kind of my big grand finale, I didn't really come up with a plan for after that."

"Well, I'm sure we can find some kind of bar with overpriced cocktails," Pam swiveled her head, "I couldn't tell you where, I'm not too familiar with this area."

"The bar at my hotel actually looked pretty nice, and will definitely fit the overpriced part of that order," Jim suggested.

Pam bit her lip, thinking back to Karen's "advice" about making sure Jim booked a nice hotel room, before pushing those remarks to the back of her mind and nodding. Still hand-in-hand, they turned, a bright "Hotel" marquee just ahead of them.

They stepped onto the elevator and Jim hit the 'Restaurant/Bar' button. "More elevator time," he said with a smirk.

Pam chuckled, then grimaced slightly when she blinked. "Hey, my contacts are kind of killing me, you think we can stop by your room real quick?" In between blinks she saw Jim reach over to press a new floor button.

"I didn't know you wore contacts," Jim said, the elevator coming to a stop at his floor.

"Yeah, I don't think the big city air does me any favors, they sometimes get really dry by the end of the day," Pam said, trying to resist rubbing her eyes as they walked down the hallway.

Jim swiped his key card and opened the door for Pam, who only caught a brief glance of the small but well-decorated room before rushing into the bathroom, quickly unloading her contact solutions out of her purse. Just as she was cleaning her second lens, she heard Jim outside the door.

"So I found a menu for the bar and overpriced is definitely the word," Jim called. "They want six bucks for sparkling water, can you believe that, Beesly?"

"Unfortunately I can," Pam called back. After screwing the caps onto her contacts case, she looked at herself in the mirror, her reflection now a bit fuzzy. The surreal, movie-like feeling returned, her standing in a nice Manhattan hotel room, Jim just on the other side of the door, a bed just ten feet from both of them...

"Believe it or not the beers in the mini-bar are cheaper," Jim said. "So, I mean, that's an option."

Pam glanced in the mirror once again before opening the door. Jim, or rather the collections of blurry shapes that formed Jim, turned towards her. It was only when she was a couple feet away that she could see his smile, "Hey, I thought-" She stood on her toes, placed her hands on his neck and his sentence was cut off by her lips on his. His arms wrapped around her middle and they kissed for what felt like minutes before Pam drew her head back, her fingers still in his hair.

"I knew you didn't actually need to take out your contacts." Jim said with a smirk. "I'm still not convinced you wear them."

Pam laughed, "No, I really did take them out, I just ... I've wanted to do that for a long time."

He knitted his brows, "Do what?"

"Just walk into a room and kiss you," Pam said, feeling her cheeks get hot.

Jim smiled, tilting his head and leaning down. "So..." he started when his lips left hers, "you still wanna go upstairs?"

Pam twisted her mouth to the side, "Well, the mini-bar is right here. Plus I'd have to put on my glasses and they are definitely not stylish Manhattanite glasses."

"I'm sure you look plenty cute in them," Jim said, grinning at her blushing cheeks. He gave her a peck on the lips before letting her go, leaning down to the mini-fridge and coming up with two bottles. He popped the caps off and handed a bottle to Pam. "What should we toast to?"

She pondered the question for a moment before lifting her bottle, "To Dunder Mifflin."

"What? No way," Jim said, shaking his head.

"Why not? We work there, the money for tonight technically came from there, and, you know, we met there and became friends there." Pam said, shrugging.

Jim looked off to the side for a moment, thinking about what Pam had just said. "I suppose you're right. Though if I hadn't been dragged to that meeting last week by Michael we wouldn't have seen each other, so maybe we should toast him."

"Let's not get carried away," Pam replied quickly, trying to not smile at Jim's impish grin.

Jim chuckled, "Okay, fine, to Dunder Mifflin."

"To Dunder Mifflin," Pam said, her bottle clanging with Jim's.


Pam woke to the sound of a faucet running and opened her eyes, needing a second to remember where she was. The mattress dipped a little behind her before she looked up and saw slightly blurry face. "Hey," Jim said, his voice a little husky.

"Hey," she replied, smiling as he kissed her shoulder. She squinted at the alarm clock, just making out '10:30' in big red letters. "Oh, wow, you probably have to check out soon," Pam said.

"Nope, booked the room for two nights," Jim said, pulling the covers over his legs.

"Why did you do that?" Pam said, flipping over to face him.

"I figured worst case scenario our date goes badly and I'd just explore the city on my own for a couple days," Jim said.

"And what was the best case scenario?"

Jim smiled broadly, "This, definitely."

Pam felt her cheeks warm and Jim put his arm around her shoulders and pulled her closer to him until her head was resting on his shoulder. Under the sheets her bare legs brushed his and she blushed even more, remembering last night. After two mini-bar beers each and an hour or so of conversation, they found themselves sitting on the bed, his fingers buried in her curls, holding her face close to his before then traveling down, over her shoulders, along her arms, and then on her waist. He tugged a little at the hem of her shirt, his lips finally breaking away, his eyes asking if they should continue. Even with two beers in her she was nervous, worrying she wasn't going to be very good at all this, boyfriends had been rather few and far between the last several years so she wasn't exactly well practiced. But she took a deep breath and crossed her arms, grabbing the hem of her shirt and pulling up, catching a smile on his face before he tugged the collar of his shirt over his head.

The shirts barely reached the floor before his lips were once again on hers, his long arms wrapping around her. He began to lean forward and she let out a soft hum as the bare skin of her back touched the cool cotton comforter, followed by a whimper as her head hit the headboard. His eyebrows shot up high on his forehead, and he alternated between "I'm so sorry!" and "Are you okay?" several times but she laughed and pulled his face back to hers. Somehow the bump she felt forming on the back of her head was just what she needed; the odd, movie-like feeling that had been lingering for the entire date finally fading away. He wasn't some impossibly handsome and perfect leading man, he was just Jim, lanky, sweet, goofy Jim. And this wasn't some glossy romantic movie, it was just two shy, silly people who have liked each other for a long time finally becoming more than friends. 

"So, please don't be mad," Jim started, pulling Pam out of her daydream, "but I might have just checked out your glasses. And I still think you probably look cute in them."

Pam scoffed, "Trust me, I don't, they're so outdated."

"They're retro," Jim said shrugging.

"'Retro' is just design-speak for 'outdated'," Pam said, "plus they give me big cartoon eyes."

"I did notice they were rather thick," Jim admitted. "How bad is your vision, exactly?"

"Um," Pam held up her hand about a foot from her face. "Here my hand is in focus." She drew it another couple inches away, "And here it's starting to get fuzzy."

"Wow, so I'm probably just a big blur huh?"

Pam smiled and looked up, "From here you're like one of those super soft-focus photographs."

Jim sat forward a couple inches, "How about now?"

"Less fuzzy but still fuzzy"

He leaned further until the tip of his nose touched hers, his hazel eyes smiling, "How about now?"

Pam giggled, "Perfectly clear." Jim closed his eyes and gave her a couple soft, long kisses before leaning back against the headboard, and Pam set her head down on his chest.

"So," he started in a low tone, "if Scranton closes, I'm gonna try to transfer to Stamford."

Pam smiled, feeling her cheeks warm.

"I mean, yeah, my folks are there but aside from that I don't really have a reason to stay in Scranton." She felt him playing with a lock of her hair, "Plus I'm seeing this girl in the city so I'll be closer to her."

Pam lifted her head to face him, "Oh are you? One date and we're seeing each other now?"

"Well, yeah, unless there's someone else?" Jim said, his smile not quite cancelling out the worry in his eyes.

"It just so happens there is, I have five boyfriends, one in each borough." Pam said with a smirk.

Jim chuckled, "Guess I gotta just settle for being number six."

"You'd be okay with that?"

"Absolutely." Jim said, his fingers in her curls, pulling her face to his for another kiss.

Pam rested her head back on his shoulder, her cheeks about ready to burst from smiling. But she felt her smile fade as she remembered Karen saying that if Scranton closes only a few people from the whole branch would be transferred. Jim wasn't the top salesman, some quarters he was even behind Phyllis and Stanley due to them having larger, more established clients. There was no guarantee Jim would get a transfer offer, especially with the way Karen said Josh was running things at Stamford.

"What if a transfer doesn't work out?" she said quietly after a moment.

"I'm going to look for a job here anyway," he replied without hesitation.

"What if we don't..." Pam cast her eyes down.

"Hey," Jim titled her chin up, "I have a pretty good feeling about us."

Pam lifted her eyebrows slightly. "Really?"

He smiled softly and nodded, "Yeah."

"Me too," she said, her lips curling as she watched his warm hazel eyes once again come into focus.

Chapter End Notes:
Had an unexpected snow day so figured I'd finally finish up this chapter! Also, the secondary plot with the branches possibly merging kind of snuck in here, if you need a refresher, it's also mentioned in chapters 9, 12, and 13.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans