- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Another 'interlude.' There will be one more intelude (Jim's), before the next 'chapter' goes up. :)
Pam shifted in the passenger seat of her mom’s Volvo, staring at the picture in her hands. When she had packed her overnight bag for the weekend, she’d tucked the photo of Jim from all those years ago safely into a zippered pocket, but she couldn’t stop taking it out and studying it. Now, though, she was staring down a newer photo, even if this one was still a few years old – eleven, to be exact.

She flipped the picture over, looked at her mom’s neat handwriting on the back. ‘Pam and Roy, Lake Wallenpaupack, June 22nd, 1995.’ It was from the day after Roy had taken Pam to his senior prom (she was still a junior then). They had gone to Lake Wallenpaupack with a group of their friends to relax at the tiny summer cabin a friend’s family owned. It had red shutters. Pam had loved the place immediately.

The photo was of Pam and Roy, sitting side by side on the dock in their shorts and tee shirts, Pam’s hair held back by a bandana. Roy had his arm around Pam’s waist and she was leaning into him, smiling shyly as he leaned over and dropped a kiss on the top of her forehead, right at the edge of her bandana. Seventeen-year-old Pam was blushing, and you could just barely see the freckles on her nose that a day in the sun brought out.

She’d always loved this picture – it had a prominent place on her dresser, leaning against her mirror. She had grabbed it before she left with her mom – for some strange reason, she just felt the need to bring it with her. Now she knew why. This picture had always reminded her of how in love she and Roy had always been, how in love they would always be. Or at least thought they would be. A hot tear slid down her cheek at that thought and Pam wiped it away as they pulled into her parents’ driveway.


captainoats is the author of 5 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 9 members. Members who liked One Thousand Reasons also liked 644 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans