- Text Size +

Dancing. How in the world did he let Pam talking him into going dancing? Jim repeatedly asked himself that very question on his drive over to her apartment, but as he pulled into the open parking space next to her blue Yaris, he already knew the answer. Because she'd asked. Ever since their date two weeks ago to escape the heat of an air conditioner-less office, his whole world had shifted to revolve around her. Not that he minded in the least, of course. This was exactly what he'd always dreamed about, and truth be told, it was completely living up to this expectations.

The only part missing was sex, but given that they'd been making out like horny teenagers nearly every night, Jim was willing to be patient. She'd let him know when she was ready, and in the meantime he'd enjoy what he could get. He didn't want to rush it because he wanted them to do this right. They still were having long conversations about the past year, and it was funny to him that he actually enjoyed these talks, given how painful he found similar talks with Karen to be. The only thing hard about his relationship with Pam, he thought bemusedly, was him when he was touching her.

He was talking himself into the idea that going dancing would be fun when he knocked at her door. After all, they had a good time together no matter what they did. It wasn't like it was club dancing anyway. Pam said it was a quiet piano bar type of atmosphere and the most they would be doing would be slow dancing. And holding her in public was something he'd wanted to do for a long time. He was congratulating himself on actually looking forward to the evening when Pam opened the door and his brain stopped functioning.

She stood in the doorway, a blue and green striped towel wrapped around her, and a solid blue towel wrapped like a turban around her head. Her face and shoulders still looked dewy from a shower and she looked a little surprised to see him. For his part, all Jim could do was stare.

"Um, hi..." he finally managed to say. "Am I early?"

Pam smiled, "No, not really. I'm running late." She held the door open wider. "Please, come in and I'll go finished getting ready."

Jim felt his heart racing as he walked past her. "Are you sure?" He joked, trying to cover up the fact that all he could think about was what would happen if he pulled that towel away from her body. "Because I think that look works for you."

"Thanks," she grinned, shutting the door. She stepped closer to him and gave him a quick kiss. "But I think you'll agree what I have picked out is nicer. I'll be right back."

Jim watched her disappear into her bedroom, door shutting behind her. He continued to stand, his hands in his pockets. He shook his head, trying to get the image of Pam in a towel out of his mind. He hoped they wouldn't be dancing too closely tonight, because heaven knew he was only human.

Jim had been pacing around the living room for a little more than ten minutes when he heard her bedroom door open. He turned toward the sound, waiting her arrival.

"Jim," she called from her bedroom, "I've been thinking."

He walked toward the sound of her voice, stopping a respectable distance from the partially opened door, in case she wasn't finished dressing. "Do I want to know what about?" He replied.

"About going out tonight," she said.

"Are you feeling sick?" He asked, concern evident.

"No, I just know you weren't too happy with the idea of going out dancing when I first suggested it."

"I was surprised," he replied, "but I'm more than happy to go dancing if you want. Really."

"Are you sure? I don't want to be one of those girls who makes their boyfriend do all sorts of things they really don't want to do."

"Pam," Jim laughed, "when you start turning into Kelly I will be sure to tell you."

He heard her giggle from behind the door. "Promise?"

"Most definitely."

"Okay," she said, sounding hesitant, "but what if I've changed my mind?"

Jim leaned against the wall. "You've changed your mind about dancing?"

"No, just the going out part."

The bedroom door opened the rest of the way slowly, and Jim looked up. The lighting from the bedroom illuminated Pam's silhouette, but as she walked toward him he could see her clearly. And what he saw dropped his heart right into his shoes.

Pam stopped a few feet from him, looking like a vision. Her hair was hanging loose, her natural curls spiraling down her shoulders. She was wearing nothing but a silky pink chemise and matching short robe, the semi-sheer material floating around her like a cloud. The lights caught the shimmery polka dot pattern, and the pink marabou trim on the neckline and the sleeves matched the trim on her high heeled pink slippers.

Jim opened his mouth to speak, but he had nothing to say that wouldn't give himself away as a total idiot. He tried to stand up straight, but his legs were trembling too much to hold his weight. He was completely dumbfounded. He knew she was starting to smile at his reaction, and he knew he shouldn't just stand there staring, but he really had no idea what to do. This was not at all what he was expecting.

"Um, a, wow...." he choked out, knowing she would be teasing him mercilessly about his reaction later. "That's, um, quite an outfit, Pam."

She came closer. "Do you really like it?" She asked, her voice as rich as velvet to his ears.

He finally was able to pull himself up from the wall. "Yes. It's amazing," he replied, his eyes taking in every inch of her. "I can see why that might not be appropriate to go out dancing in though."

She moved until she was finally face-to-face with him. "It's good for dancing here though, don't you think?"

Jim nodded quickly. "Yeah," he said, finally looking into her eyes. "Yeah, that would be just fine."

Pam raised her palm up to show she was holding a iPod mini, and a pair of Swarovski crystal encrusted ear buds. "Care to dance?" She asked.

"Fancy ear buds," he replied, picking up one. "The pink crystals even match your outfit. You are turning into Kelly." Their laughter broke the original tension, and Jim started to let the situation sink in. This was going to be a much more important night than he had expected, but he was certainly ready for it.

Pam clipped the iPod to the belt of her robe, and with ear buds both in place she hit play. As the music started up she pulled him to the center of the living room and then rested both hands on his chest as he put his arms around her waist. Soon they heard the sounds of the band Travis, the song so sweetly familiar to both of them.

"Are you sure we aren't swaying?" Jim smiled.

"No, we are definitely dancing," she assured him, her eyes never leaving his. She slid her arms up around his neck, pulling herself closer. Her slippers made her stand just tall enough that she only had to lean up to place a gentle kiss against his lips. This simply heartfelt gesture was all Jim needed to find himself feeling like he was falling.

As he gently ran his hands over her back, he discovered that there was nothing but Pam underneath the robe and chemise - and even together those two clothing items were devastatingly thin. It didn't take much imagination for him to know what it would feel like to touch her naked skin. He pulled her flush against himself, deepening his kiss as they slowly moved to the music.

When Sing ended, Say Yes by Elliott Smith started up. Halfway through the song Jim pulled back to look at Pam, his hands moving to her shoulders, caressing them softly. Her eyes looked dark, and her lips were full and red from kissing. Her hands moved down from his neck to his tie, where she started to loosen it. She pulled it off and threw it onto the couch, still swaying in time to the music. When she began to undo his top button, Jim put his hand over hers.

"Are you sure?" He asked.

"More than anything," she replied. "Unless you aren't?"

Jim closed his eyes briefly. "No, I'm sure." He squeezed her shoulder slightly. "I just don't want you to feel rushed."

"Look at me, Jim," Pam said. He did and she continued. "I was sure a long, long time ago."

He pulled her back to him. "Then let's not keep you waiting any longer," he replied, a mischievous smile appearing briefly before his mouth covered hers once more.

Chapter End Notes:

robe/chemise: http://www.figleaves.com/us/product.asp?product_id=ORP-6847271

slippers: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/mst3kgirl/slippers.jpg

Crystal ipod earbuds: http://www.horchow.com/store/catalog/prod.jhtml?cmCat=search&itemId=cprod22320034


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans