- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


So, sometimes the universe just kicks you in the ass.  I'm reading some of the new stories with music playing in the background and BAM... suddenly on comes "Home" by Chris Daughtry and the song is screaming at me... "write me a JAM story!!!"  It's been a really long time.  I kind of got discouraged by how things had been going here, but I'm really glad to see some of the changes that have been instituted.  Makes it easier to come back and write again.  It's going to be a looong summer.  Not as long as last summer, but hey... still long. 

Author's Chapter Notes:
Some chapters may be longer than others.  I really just started thinking about this about 10 minutes ago.  Unbeated so all mistakes are mine.  Constructive criticism only please.  No ones making you read!!

“So, where do you see yourself in 10 years?”

 

It was like David Wallace and corporate and New York had disappeared.  He fingered the gold yogurt lid and closed his eyes for a moment.  It all came rushing back to him, everything that he had been pushing to the back of his brain for a year.

 

Flonkerton and paper doves.  “I think we broke his brain.”  Her sitting on his bed, looking through his yearbook.  “I feel God in this Chili’s tonight.”  Jinx.  A black cat costume.  Threat Level: Midnight.  Palm reading.  “Dwight Schrute Privates.”  A brilliant CIA operative prank she had concocted just for him.  Legally Blonde.  The way her dress felt under his hands.  The way her lips felt on his.  The look of utter sadness at Phyllis’ wedding.  “I called off my wedding because of you, Jim.”

 

“Jim?”

 

His eyes flew open and he was back here, in a place he didn’t recognize.  A place that didn’t feel right and probably never would.

 

“I’m sorry, Mr. Wallace.  What was the question?”

 

“I asked you where you see yourself in 10 years.”

 

And it was out of his mouth before he could stop himself.  “With her.”

 

David Wallace shook his head.  “I’m sorry.  With who?”

 

Jim shoved her note and that priceless yogurt lid into his bag and stood up, shocking David Wallace.  Jim extended his hand across the desk.  “I appreciate the opportunity.  I really do.  But this… I can’t… this place isn’t me and I’d be fooling myself if I even thought that I could make it work here.  Hire Karen.  She’s corporate.  I’m Scranton.”

 

David nodded and shook his hand.  “You sure?”

 

 Jim just nodded.  “More than ever.”  David gave him a slight smile and nodded.  Jim grabbed his bag off the floor and bolted out of the office, heading toward the one place he had been avoiding for a year.
Chapter End Notes:
More to come... just as soon as I figure out what "more" is.  Based on Daughtry's "Home" and even though Idol is killing it, it still haunts me when it comes on.  All chapter titles are coming from the song!

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans