- Text Size +
On Monday morning everyone else beat Dwight into the office. It had taken a lot of pleading, but every single Dunder Mifflin office worker was wearing a clown costume. Jim and Pam were matching Raggedy Anne and Andy clowns; Toby and Karen were sad clowns with a single tear running down each of their faces; Stanley wore a red wig and nose; Phyllis dressed like Clarabelle from the Howdy Doody show; even Angela was wearing a red nose.

Dwight walked in, still anxious about how he had left on Friday. Seeing the assembled clowns, he knew who was responsible. "Jim," he muttered.

"That's Acting Regional Manager Halpert to you," Jim said, shaking his head in such a way that his fake red hair bounced back and forth.

"Why is everyone dressed like this?"

"What do you mean?" Jim asked, seemingly puzzled. "I was just going to ask you where your costume was. You know that the first Monday in every month has always been Clown day."

"No is hasn't," Dwight answered.

"Of course it has," Jim said. "If you don't believe me, look in your locked desk drawer. I remember you left your nose and wig from last month's outfit there because you had to leave for a client meeting and you didn't trust me enough to leave it on your desk.

Dwight slowly took out his key and opened the locked drawer. Sure enough, there by his throwing stars was a red nose and wig. Dwight stared at Jim as Pam, sitting at her desk, discreetly raised a key so the cameraman could see it.

"And here's a picture from last month," Jim continued, showing Dwight an image on his computer of the office staff in full clown regalia.

Dwight slowly nodded and sat down.

Jim and Pam interviewed. "Photoshop is a wonderful thing," Pam said.

"The real payoff to the joke," Jim explained, "will happen in a month."

Pam completed, "If Dwight wears a clown costume to work on the first Monday..." Both dissolve into giggles.

The camera zoomed to their hands, which were clasped together, then back to their faces. Both of them stopped laughing and they looked a little embarrassed. "Yes, we are FINALLY together," Jim admitted. "I'm still not sure she's making a really good choice, but I'll try my best to make her happy."

Pam looked over her shoulder to make sure nobody is approaching the conference room. "I'm in love with my best friend. How much better could it be?" She blushed and hid her head against Jim's chest.

Phyllis walked by the conference room and smiled.

-----------

Late in the afternoon, Michael showed up at the office. His tie was off and he looked shattered. He saw his, surprisingly costumed staff and was about to say something when Pam skipped up to him.

"Hi Michael, here are your messages."

"What the heck is...."

Pam had her explanation ready. "We know that we don't always get your jokes, so to honor the fact that you've always been able to be funny but still got your work done, we decided to have a Clown Monday. To help us learn to be more like you."

"You guys did this for me?" Michael asked, teary eyed. "I don't care what corporate said, I must be a great boss."

Jim had come up to Pam's desk and heard that last statement. "Of course you are, Michael."

Michael was openly crying. "You guys don't know how much that means to me today, I..." He ran into his office.

"You did good," Jim said to his girlfriend.

"I had a good teacher," Pam replied to her boyfriend.



malcolm lake is the author of 8 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 5 members. Members who liked Hi Ho, etc. also liked 2351 other stories.
This story is part of the series, Paintball, the Seven Dwarves, and Clowns. The previous story in the series is Team Building.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans