- Text Size +

You made me happier than I'd been by far

 

Jim should be happy, he realized. He was with Karen, Pam and Roy were over...yet again. His life was somehow on track. But he wasn’t, didn’t know how to be. She apologized left and right for Roy trying to fist fight with him in the middle of office, but her words meant nothing anymore. She’d broken his spirit by walking out of the wedding with Roy and he hadn’t forgiven her for it.

It should matter that she wasn’t with Roy now, and that she obviously told her former fiancee something about the two of them to elicit such a response from Roy. But it didn’t. He only wanted it to all be over. He wanted to move forward, with his new, drama-free, easygoing girlfriend. He wanted to stop loving her and stop wanting her to love him back.

He tried to remember the last time he was happy, really, truly, unequivocally happy, and though he couldn’t pinpoint the exact moment, he knew Pam must have been there, beside him, smiling at him, laughing.

He was only happy with her. And he’d succumb to the fact that he’d never have her, and now he had to face that that meant that he’d never find that happiness again.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans