- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Starting their first work week as a couple, Jim and Pam try to be respectful to Karen. Andy tries not to scare anyone.

It had been several months since he left anger management, but Andy Bernard couldn’t escape the fact that everyone still thought he was crazy. He always tried to diffuse any tension in his conversations by adding a joke at the end, but it always just seemed to make people think he was even crazier. A chance to be the new #2 in the office was his ticket to regaining respectability in the office. All that faded away when Michael came back.

 

However, Andy couldn’t be bothered with any of that now. He was currently in the kitchen and could tell something wasn’t right. Big Haircut and Karen were standing on either side of him, and there was clearly some tension in the air. Andy’s mind raced, wondering what could be wrong. Big Haircut better not have done something to hurt his Stamford comrade. If so, he would have to bust a cap in his butt!

 

“Totally kidding”, Andy blurted out, forgetting that the previous outburst had been all in his head. Both Jim and Karen looked at him, more annoyed than confused. “Sorry about that. I was just, you know, something in my head.” Jim thought about checking to make sure Andy wasn’t holding any sharp utensils. “You guys obviously have something to talk about. I’ll get out of your hair. Not that I would do anything to your hair…,” and Andy decided to stop himself there. He ventured out of the kitchen and back to his desk, trying not to accidentally threaten anyone’s life on the way.

 

Jim and Karen just stood there, no more barriers for what was bound to be an awkward conversation. Neither of them could think of what to say.

 

“What are you talking about? You left the interview?” Karen asked incredulously.

“He asked me where I saw myself in 10 years,” Jim replied. “And it wasn’t here. Not in New York. Not…”

“Not with me?” Karen asked. Emotion began to fill her heart, but she couldn’t yet tell whether it was anger or sadness. Maybe it was relief. Jim had nothing to say. He just dropped his head, which she took as an obvious answer to her question. “You should go then.”

“What do you mean? How will you get back?”

“Don’t worry about me. You have someone else to worry about now,” Karen said as she tried to remain calm. “You two are seriously pathetic.” This comment definitely took Jim by surprise. “If you care about each other, then just be honest and admit it. Quit dancing around it. Quit hurting other people. Roy didn’t deserve that. I don’t deserve that.”

“I’m sorry, Karen.”

She could tell that he genuinely was sorry, but she no longer cared. “Just go.”

It was Jim that finally broke the silence. “Do you want to talk?”

 

“Talk about what?” Karen sharply replied. She was not interested in where this was going.

 

“I don’t know. I just thought….”

 

“Thought what? We could be friends? Forget it, Halpert. I’ve seen how you treat your friends when you’re in a relationship.”

 

“Come on, Karen.”

 

“Look, Jim. Just let it go. It’s hard enough as it is. I promise I won’t get in your way.” With that Karen left him standing there and went back to her desk.

 

Pam’s day wasn’t going much better. She had received numerous calls from people having trouble getting through to customer service. Pam had been transferring them, but the same person would call back and say they just got voicemail. The frequent calls were starting to try on Pam’s nerves, so she decided to walk back to the annex to see why Kelly wasn’t answering the phone.

 

Kelly just sat there, staring at the phone. She wasn’t her usual giddy self, which was expected after her breakup with Ryan. What surprised Pam was Kelly’s completely blank face. She didn’t look sad or happy. She was just sitting there. “Kelly, are you alright?”

 

“Oh, hi Pam. Yeah, I’m fine. Why do you ask?” Kelly said in an even tone.

 

“You just don’t seem like your usual self. And you’re not answering the phones.”

 

“Oh yeah that. Well I just don’t feel like it today.”

 

“Look, you’re better off without him. He didn’t treat you the way you deserved to be treated.”

 

“Wait a second.” Kelly eyed Pam suspiciously. “You look different. What did you change?”

 

“Nothing,” Pam replied nervously.

 

“You got a boyfriend, didn’t you?” Kelly’s mood was suddenly starting to change back to her old ways. “Didn’t you? Didn’t you?! Didn’t you?!!”

 

“Shhh, I can’t talk about it here. Follow me to the break room.”

 

They walked to the break room, Kelly skipping behind Pam, barely able to contain her excitement. When they got there, Pam fixed Kelly with a serious stare. “Okay, you have to promise that you will not tell another soul.”

 

“How come? Is it a secret romance?” Kelly was now positively giddy.

 

“No, it’s not a secret. It could just be awkward…for other people if it’s advertised.”

 

“Oh my god, it’s someone here!!! It’s Jim, isn’t it?!!!”

 

Pam was now blushing. “Yes, but remember you promised to keep it quiet.

He just broke up with Karen and I don’t want her to feel uncomfortable.”

 

“Awwwww, he broke up with Karen for you. That is SO sweet! You guys are so perfect for each other. Like TomKat or Brangelina! You’re Jam!!”

Kelly fell into a fit of giggles.

 

“Didn’t you say the other day…Actually, don’t worry about it. So you’re okay now, right?”

 

“Of course. You were probably right. Ryan was a jerk. Maybe I should try girls for a while. Hey, you’re cute. Maybe we should go out?”

 

“Yeah, I’m with Jim. Remember?”

 

“Threesome?” Kelly asked hopefully.

 

With that, Pam stood straight up. “Uh, I should get back to work, but I’m glad you’re feeling better.”

 

“Totally.” Kelly actually was in a good mood, for the first time since Thursday.

 

Things eventually calmed down for Jim and Pam, and he was able to make his way over to her desk.  “Hey,” Jim said.

 

“Hi,” Pam replied.

 

There were huge smiles on both of their faces. They hadn’t much of a chance to talk today, but those two words made everything better. Karen looked over and saw them obviously having a good time. She got up from her desk and walked away, but neither of them noticed. Suddenly, Pam got a mischievous look on her face.

 

“Hey, I forgot to tell you. Kelly wanted to talk to you. Something about a service problem with one of your clients.”

 

“Oh, you’re putting me to work, Beesley?”

 

“Absolutely, now snap to it!” She lightly punched him in the shoulder.

 

“Oh, when I get back, you are so going to pay for that.”

 

“Can’t wait!”

 

Jim made his way over to Kelly’s desk. “Hey Kelly. Pam said you needed to talk to me about something?”

 

Kelly suddenly looked terrified. “Oh my god. What did you she tell you?” Jim tried to respond, but couldn’t get a word in edgewise. “Because you know, I was just kidding. I swear!”

 

“What are you talking about?” a bewildered Jim asked.

 

He never got an answer because Kelly got up and ran to the bathroom. On her way there, she ran into Andy. When she saw who it was, she screamed and hurried into the ladies room.

 

“What did I do now?!!” Andy exclaimed. “I was just standing here!”

 

Jim made his way back to Pam’s desk. “Are you happy?” Pam couldn’t respond because she was too busy laughing. The laughing eventually subsided when Pam saw something that concerned her. Jim noticed this and turned to look at what was bothering Pam. He saw Karen and Toby exiting the conference room. Jim and Pam shared a concerned glance and then went back to work. That was the end of fun for the day.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans