- Text Size +

A little more than a year later Pam is standing at the back of the church, dressed in white with her arm curled around her father’s. On her left hand, which is clutching a bouquet of summer flowers, she wears a different ring that catches the sunlight and casts a rainbow right near her feet. So much had happened in so short a time that she cannot believe the day has finally come.

Jim waits at the end of the aisle, staring expectantly at the doors. This is the moment he’s been waiting for his whole life.

The ceremony begins and he promises to love her forever, which is easy because he’s already been doing it for so long. A smile lights up her whole face as Pam agrees to do the same.

When he kisses her it’s unlike the first time, when there was nothing but doubt and uncertainty. This time he can see their whole future together.

They dance and double over with laughter at their reception as Kevin’s band plays. They had decided together that it wouldn’t hurt to have them for one set as long as they had a good DJ to make up for it.

He takes her to Paris for a honeymoon, and stares at her in wonder when she turns a full circle at the entrance of the Louvre, taking it all in. She’s so excited she fills two sketchbooks in two days and then one morning suddenly tells him she’s seen enough art for a while, today she’d rather see more of him.

Back home, still in a newlywed haze, they both go back to work. Pam now works at a small ad agency in New York and Jim works at a job that is far from stimulating but pays well enough for them to put a down payment on a house in Stamford.

One that has a terrace on the second floor.

They sit out there together after dinner staring up at the stars. Pam can’t imagine what else she could possibly wish for. As she curls her legs up on the bench and snuggles closer to him they both know without saying a word that they are fine with their choices

 



xoxoxo is the author of 67 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 12 members. Members who liked Choices also liked 2268 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans