- Text Size +

"So you finally did it. Congrats, man. I'm proud. By the way, your mom called."

Jim threw his keys in to a bowl near the door then laid down on the sofa. "What did she say?"

"She wants you to come over. Says she's redecorating and could use some help. It'll be a good time to let her know about you - know - what."

Jim mentally noted to call his mother back tomorrow to help her during the weekend. It was something he was used to and usually even enjoyed. His mother was getting older in age now and she tended to need aid in such things as her biggest hobby - redecorating. Since she's been living on her own for quite a few years now, it was up to Jim to lend a hand when she was out of a sweetheart. And Mark, who occassionally tagged along for a reunion of his childhood neighborhood.

"I think it might be too soon."

"Too soon for what? To tell her? That's stupid. Why would it be?"

Jim shrugged, though he knew Mark couldn't see him. "It just happened tonight. Isn't it bad luck to spread the news so soon?"

Mark laughed. "You proposed what, half hour ago? Pam's already called all her friends, family and everyone she ever knew from day one. In the next five minutes, she'll start looking up reverends. That's how all women are. And not every marriage is doomed because of it."

Grinning, Jim replayed the moments of the evening. Proposing to Pam. Her face lighting up. Her shaky voice saying yes as her eyes began to water. Slipping his ring on her slender finger. He'd never been so happy in his life.

Today had been the perfect day. Michael and Dwight had taken the day off to do out-of-the-office work. Angela kept her prying eyes behind her wall. Kelly's mouth jabbered far away from him. And he got a clear view to sit and stare at his beloved all day long, without the interruption of a single call to him all day.

He hadn't gotten a stitch of work done. This love stuff was really getting in the way of his daily office progress. But that was okay, he didn't mind and so far, he's been able to get away with it.

 

Today was a day filled with his happiness with the anticipation of that night. And the fact that it was a bully-free day hadn't hurt all that much either.

Yet it was starting to not bother him anymore. He was too distracted with Pam to care about Dwight trying to get under his skin or Michael failing to amuse him. Oh, he was plenty amused without his boss and there was nothing that could really bring him down from that.

Mark saw the smile creep on to Jim's face and knew what it was for. His roommate didn't tell him everything, but he had learned to tell what was going on when Jim was silent. The signs were there. And he knew the words going through his friend's head now. If Jim wanted to remain silent, that was okay. Didn't meant Mark couldn't say it.

Flipping on the tv, Mark sat down at the edge of the sofa, locking his fingers together before putting them at the back of his head to recline. "Life is good, Jim. Remember these times."

You could bet, Jim would surely remember this time of his life.

XxXxX



UnWritten007 is the author of 9 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 1 members. Members who liked Bullies also liked 1048 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans