- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

REMINDER: Each chapter is its own entity unless otherwise noted.  Assume prior episodes have transpired as normal.

diclaimer: it belongs to nbc.

Pam had watched all day while Karen would go up to Jim and rub his back, fix his hair, or whisper something in his ear.  She was getting pretty tired of it, too.  All this affection between them made her silence over the summer utterly regrettable.  It was painful, really. 

And to top it all off, Jim had declined her Christmas present to him.  That had hurt the most.  In a way, it was like he was saying that the time they had before he moved to Stamford was childish and pointless, and that it was important as actually getting work done. He was telling her that she wasn't as important to him anymore.

Even after she knew about him and Karen, she thought that maybe there was still a chance.  He can't have changed so much already, could he?  And he couldn't have gotten over her so easily, right?  He did say "I'm in love with you."  Not "I like you," or "I'm attracted to you," or even, "You know that crush I used to have on you?  I sitll have it."  No, it was "I'm in love with you."

Pam wasn't sure what to think or to feel.  She wondered how true his feelings were that night if only a few months later, he's completely moved on and doesn't even want to be her friend any more.  She knew this was an exaggeration--she knew that he had never said those words.  But his actions were telling her that he didn't want to do the things they used to do for fun--that he didn't want to spend time with her. 

And if he has a girlfriend?  So what?  Pam had a fiance before and that never stopped her from pulling pranks, going to the store to pick up a present for Kevin (oh yeah... and Michael), or even sharing a coke and a bag of Sun Chips! 

After the Party Planning Committee meeting, Pam was fuming.  She had barely paid attention, because her mind was too busy reeling from all the anger she felt against Jim and Karen.  She knew that Karen was really an innocent bystander, but she couldn't help but feel a little twinge of jealousy and anger towards the woman who had so easily helped Jim to forget about her.

Pam saw Jim at his desk, working on some report.  Ignoring the fact that Karen was right beside her, Pam approached Jim's desk.  "Hey," she said firmly.  He barely glanced up.  "We need to talk."

Jim looked sideways slightly before letting out a sigh and following Pam towards the stairwell.  "What's up?" he asked when they were alone.

"Jim, this isn't fair," she said.

"What's not fair?"

Pam let out a heavy breath.  "You told me you were in love with me while I was still engaged.  And now, you have a new girlfriend and suddenly you can't even have fun with me like we used to?"

Jim tilted his head, not quite seeing the correlation.

Sensing his confusion, Pam continued.  "It was obviously going to take time for me to make a decision about Roy.  And when I did make that decision... you were gone.  You left before I even had a chance to think and consider the possiblitiy of... us.  And now you come back with this new girlfriend, pretending like what happened in May meant nothing!  You said you were in love with me, Jim.  In love!  Are you really over me so quickly?"  Pam felt tears beginning to sting the backs of her eyelids.  She blinked hard, hoping that no tears would escape.

Jim looked down at the floor with his arms crossed over his chest.

"I just needed some time," she nearly whispered.  "But I guess now it's too late.  And I guess... I just needed you to know... how I feel."

"How do you feel?" he asked in a cracked voice as he looked up at her with a pained expression.

Pam looked down at the ground, wondering how to respond.  She smiled to herself, deciding that the approach Jim himself had used would be best.  There would be no room for a poor interpretation. 

Pam took a step forward and brought her hands to his face, pulling him down gently as she went up on her tip-toes, bringing her lips to meet his.  The kiss began somewhat timidly, but after a moment it grew in its intensity.  Before long, Pam's hands were running through Jim's hair and his arms were around her waist, pulling her closer.

After some time, they pulled back, in need of air.  Jim took a hold of Pam's hands and ran his thumbs along the backs of her hands.  "Pam I never stopped loving you.  I only started dating Karen because... I thought... I mean, you said you were going to marry Roy, and then..."  He paused to shrug.  "I figured that when you didn't call about cancelling the wedding, and you were so... friendly... not..."  He shook his head, unable to form the words.  "I thought that you didn't want me.  So I started to date Karen to distract myself from you."

"Oh, Jim..."

"I'm sorry," he whispered.  "I should've given you more time."

"And I'm sorry I didn't call.  You're my best friend, Jim, and no matter what, I should've called you.  I'm sorry."

Jim shook his head, looking down at Pam's hands, still in his.  He took one to his lips and planted a firm kiss on her palm.  "Tonight after work," he said, taking the other hand and kissing it in the palm.  "I'm going to break up with Karen.  I don't want to do it at work."

Pam nodded in understanding.

"After that," he said.  He let go of one of her hands to lift her chin so that their eyes met.  "I'm all yours."

Pam smiled and couldn't help herself--she lifted her face once more and kissed him softly.  "Jim," she said.

"Yeah?"

"I love you."

Jim touched his forehead to hers.  "You have no idea how long I've wanted to hear you say that."

Pam smiled.  "Me too."

Chapter End Notes:

COMMENTS!!!

mini-commercial: COMING SOON: Mifflin Rouge!


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans