- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Spoilers for BFV.  What if Pam had spoken up to the wrong person...?

Reminder: these chapters are their own stories... this one is two parts, but imagin the previous episodes have occured as normal.

warning: we see a different side of Dwight...

NBC owns the office--I do not.

"Who did this to you?"  Dwight asked.  "Where is he?"

Pam continued to cry.  "What?" she asked.  "No, it's not... it's nothing."  How could Dwight read her so easily?  How did he know it was a man who had hurt her?  She decided it must be another one of Dwight's assumptions about women.  Nothing more.

"It's hot in here," he said.

"Yeah," she replied absently.  What was she thinking?  She should have just stayed out of it.  She should have pleaded the fifth.  Of course she couldn't get involved with Jim and Karen without getting herself emotionally involved.  Even though neither one knew, she was still greatly affected.

"Yeah," he repeated.  Dwight took out a handkerchief from his pocket and handed it to her.

"Thanks," she said, wiping her eyes with the hankie.  "You don't need to stay here."

"I know," he told her, putting an arm around her. 

What the hell is he doing?  Is he making a pass at me or is he actually being nice?  It's almost like that day he got the concussion... and Jim took him and Michael to the hospital and--can't you think of anything other than Jim?!?  Just get over him!  It's obvious he's over you! 

"So you're PMSing pretty bad, huh?" Dwight asked, breaking her of her thoughts.

"No, Dwight!" she exclaimed, tired of his assumptions and stereotypes.  "You want ot know what's wrong?  Huh?"

"Well, if you want to--"

"I helped them!"  Pam covered her eyes with her hands, frustrated a tthe whole situation.  "I thought I could handle it--I thought, maybe this will give me closure, you know?  Maybe if I became their friend--both of them--I would be ok with it.  I thought, maybe if I got to know her, I would be ok with them.  But I'm NOT!  I'm still..."  Pam shook her head.  "God, I'm such a fool!  I'm still..."

"In love with him?" Dwight asked.

Pam looked at him, taken aback at the comment.

"You are talking about Jim and Karen, aren't you?"

Pam said nothing in response, but stared at Dwight, amazed at his alertness of the situation.

"I try not to pay attention to Jim when possible, but Schrutes are observationalists by nature.  We observe things.  That also means we notice things.  And Pam, I've noticed your attraction to him.  Just as I observe his attraction to you constantly.  It's pretty hard to miss.  Even a chimpanzee could see it."

Pam nodded.  "Well, that was last year, and things have changed, so--"

Dwight furrowed his brows.  "Last year?"  Dwight shook his head and laughed.  "Oh, Pamela--I forget how lacking everyone else's powers of observation are.  You haven't noticed that he is still attracted to you?"

"What?  No!  He's dating Karen, and--"

"And what?  You were engaged to Roy when you first started liking Jim."  All color drained from Pam's face as she looked at Dwight, her mouth slightly agape.  "Don't act so surprised.  I told you that we Schrutes have very acute observational abilities."

"Dwight, I--I was engaged!"

"But you did call of the wedding, did you not?"

"I did," she answered cautiously.

"And you do love Jim, do you not?"

Pam waited a moment before nodding, looking down at her hands in her lap.

"Hence, you called off the wedding for Jim."

Pam wrinkled her brows.  "There were a lot of reasons to break up with Roy," she told him.  "Jim wasn't..."

"You can't tell me Jim wasn't at least one of those reasons.  That would be a lie.  And I hate liars."

Pam sighed.  "No, you're right."  Dwight, of all people, is right about me and Jim...

Dwight sighed and stood up.  "Well, Pam, Michael needs me.  I hope my handkerchief and solace were useful to you."

"Yeah," Pam said, still staring at her hands. 

Dwight began to walk away.

"Hey, Dwight?"

He turned to face her.

"Thanks."

Dwight nodded and walked away, his head held high.

 

Chapter End Notes:
COMMENTS!!!

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans