- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Day Two of the getaway.....

The cacophony of lights and sound filled Jim's senses. He turned to watch Pam's reaction, and as expected her smile was as brilliant as the neon lights flashing overhead. She looked at him and said something, but he couldn't hear her over the music.

What?” he asked, bending down so her lips might be closer to his ear.

This is amazing. We've seen both ends of the spectrum in a single day.”

Jim answered with a smile and a nod, and put his arm around her shoulder. She was correct, of course. They had started the day with a morning drive through Red Rock Canyon. It was like nothing either of them had ever seen, and they stopped several times along the way, with Jim taking photos and Pam making sketches she hoped to flesh out when they returned to Scranton. They even managed to catch a glimpse of the famous wild burros, a line of them making their way across a crest in the morning sun. Pam had been so delighted to see them that Jim had no choice but to buy her a plush stuffed burro at the visitors center gift shop on the way out. It was just one more special moment in the whole series they'd experienced in their trip, and Jim burned it in his memory. He knew he had never been happier.

Now they were in the midst of something that was the farthest thing possible from nature. They walked slowly down Fremont Street, one eye on the light show projected overhead and one eye on the growing crowd around them. They discovered it was quite easy to spend half your time running into other people if you weren't careful. The shops along Fremont Street were a steady stream of different souvenir stands, each claiming some outrageously large number of collectibles that a visitor to Las Vegas couldn't possibly live without. Pam pulled Jim into one of these shops, partly out of curiosity, and partly as a way to take a break from the noise.

Just how many different ceramic things can you buy with the words 'Las Vegas' on them?” Jim asked incredulously.

It boggles the mind, doesn't it?” Pam laughed.

You know, we should find the tackiest thing in here and bring it back for Michael.”

Pam grinned. “As long as we bring back an identical one for Dwight.”

So something along the lines of a black velvet Elvis playing poker with dogs?” Jim speculated, as he walked between the shoulder-high aisles of mugs and ashtrays and snow globes and toothpick holders.

Yes, preferably silkscreened onto a set of matching salt and pepper shakers,” she shot back, her expression making him smile.

I love you,” Jim replied without thinking.

Pam smiled back from across a row of tacky photo frames. “I know,” she said. “I love you, too.”

They continued to browse the store, eventually settling on black lucite clocks with dice glued to where the numbers should be. “Oh these are perfect,” Pam marveled. “Practical and hideous.”

I take it you want one for yourself, then?” Jim teased.

I think I'll keep looking for my souvenir,” Pam grimaced.

Jim watched as Pam took the job of choosing the ugliest dice colors very seriously. It was just one of the things he loved so much about her. Hell, what didn't he love about her, if he was being honest with himself?

So what souvenir do you want to bring back for yourself then?” he asked.

Pam shrugged. “I'm not sure. I guess I'll know it when I see it.”

I noticed the Marriage License Bureau is only the next block over,” Jim said. He was more than a little surprised at how easily that information had slipped out, but not nearly as much as Pam seemed to be.

W-what?” She comically held two dice clocks in mid-air as she stared at him.

I'm just saying,” Jim said softly. “I mean, if you are looking for a souvenir.”

Pam slowly set the clocks back down on the shelf, her eyes never once leaving his. “That would be quite the souvenir,” she replied slowly.

Jim could feel his heart pounding. He could see the unspoken question in her eyes. Was he really saying what it sounded like he was saying? This was not how he'd ever pictured this moment, but now that it was here, he wasn't about to back away. Because it didn't matter where they were or how it happened. He just knew he wanted to be with her. Always.

It's what I'd choose,” he finally said. Her silence started to worry him, until he noticed the shine of tears that appeared in her eyes.

Then let's do it,” she replied simply. “Let's just do it.”

Chapter End Notes:
Fremont Street Experience: http://www.vegasexperience.com/
Red Rock Canyon: http://www.redrockcanyonlv.org/
Dice Clock: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/mst3kgirl/dice_clock.jpg

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans