- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
The end of a satisfying weekend. Thanks for reading!

The click of the seatbelt buckle was followed immediately by Pam's loud, annoyed sigh.

I can't believe you are making me go back.”

Don't blame me,” Jim laughed. “I'm not making you go back.”

Well you made it pretty clear you were getting on this plane with or without me.”

Pam, all I said is that we have nonrefundable tickets. And given that we've been technically homeless since noon, where did you think we'd stay - in the rental car?”

Not my problem. You're the one who's been the ideas man all weekend.”

Jim nodded. “True. But what else is there to stay for? I think we've done pretty much everything, haven't we?”

Almost,” she smiled slyly. “Chocolate?”

He took the small bag she was offering. “I thought you were going to put those in the luggage so we'd actually have some when we got home.”

I changed my mind.”

Wow, there's a shock.” He took a piece of dark chocolate from the small box inside and handed the bag back to her.

Ouch,” Pam pouted slightly. “That's not fair and you know it.”

He leaned over and kissed her cheek. “You're right. What I should have said was that I might have expected it from such a high maintenance woman.”

I am not high maintenance.”

No, not at all.”

Jim,” she gave him a look that suggested she was starting to move from teasing to exasperated. “I thought we both agreed.”

It was Jim's turn to sigh. He reached into the bag of chocolates she still held and this time took a milk chocolate and coconut combination. “I know. We did. I understand, I really do,” he replied. “And yes, the options we had after we got the license weren't exactly what I was looking for either.” He paused and glanced over at her. “But I'd be lying if I said I'm still not slightly disappointed we didn't follow through with it.”

It wasn't because I didn't want to marry you,” she replied. Pam reached for his hand and squeezed it tightly. “I so want to marry you.”

He nodded. “I know.”

I just want that moment to be better than...better than the choices we had. I've waited too long for you.”

Jim quirked his eyebrow. “You've been waiting?”

Shut up.”

I'm just saying.”

Besides, we still have the license,” she said encouragingly.

We do,” he agreed. “So it does serve its purpose as a souvenir of sorts.”

It's more than a souvenir, and you know it, ” she replied gently. “We have a year to use it, if you want.”

I would think it's pretty apparent that I want.”

The look he gave her caused a warmth to immediately spread through her. “I do too,” she said. She glanced down at their hands interlocked together. “When we were looking at chapels I noticed they do have weddings at Red Rock,” she added quietly.

Jim seemed to consider this. “That would be really nice, actually.”

And I wouldn't have to settle for silk rented flowers.”

Jim laughed and rewarded her with a warm smile. “No, we can go all out and get you real live flowers.”

We could have our parents come out,” she continued. “Maybe even some friends.”

Would we have to invite Michael?” Jim groaned.

No,” Pam replied. Jim gave her a look of disbelief.

You know we would,” he said.

Yeah, okay, so we would.” Pam nodded. “But we'd survive it.”

They sat in silence as the flight attendants walked through the flight safety procedures and prepared the cabin for departure. Jim continued to hold Pam's hand as the plane began its take off, and when they were airborne he lifted it to his lips to kiss.

“Maybe that will work better,” he said. “I mean, it gives us a chance to do some planning. And now we're already more than just engaged.”

More than engaged?”

Well, I know you don't have a ring yet, but we do have a marriage license. You never got that far before, did you?”

Pam paused, unwelcome memories of last spring and summer rushing back. Cancelled appointments, unclear coummunication, and Roy dragging his heels meant no one realized until nearly too late that the marriage license had to be processed at least three days before the wedding. Of course Roy had acted like it was all Pam's fault. And like the infamous camel's back, it was then that Pam knew she'd had enough.

No,” she murmurred, resting her head against his shoulder. “This is my first.”

Good.” Jim seemed so pleased by this fact that Pam had to laugh, her brief melancholy immediately dispersing. It was a talent he didn't even realize he had, this ability to snap her back to happiness. She opened up the box of chocolates and offered it to Jim.

Would you like another one?” She asked blithely, biting into a champagne truffle. “Mmmm.”

Jim chuckled. “That good, hmm?”

Pam nodded, her mouth full of the creamy chocolate. “We should have bought more,” she finally said.

I think a two pound box is a good start,” he replied. “And I'm pretty sure they do mail order if you get that desperate for more.”

Oh, I will.”

Get desperate or get more chocolate?”

Both.”

Good to know. I'll take it as a warning.”

You should take it more as the helpful hint it is. Keep me in champagne truffles and I promise you that you'll never regret it.”

Really?” Jim's amusement was evident. “That's quite the promise.”

Pam stuck her tongue out at him.

And that,” Jim said, his voicing falling deeper so only she could hear, “is a promise of a entirely different kind.”

Pam raised her eyebrows. “Maybe not so different if you play your cards right.”

"Okay then," he said. "Should I grab the attendant for more blankets now?"

"Depends."

"Depends on what?"

"Depends if I get the window seat this time."

Chapter End Notes:
The chocolates are from Ethel M's, who have a plant tour in Las Vegas: http://www.ethelschocolate.com/jump.jsp?itemID=117&itemType=CATEGORY


time4moxie is the author of 77 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 16 members. Members who liked The Essence of Pleasure also liked 2622 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans