- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Thanks to EmilyHalpert for taking a peek at this and fixing a few things....mucho gracias!

I love this song (for more reasons that I care to explain) but it's a good one. Very sweetly written....but, if you really know the song, you'll see that I've deleted the last verse because it talks about how "Lydia" left....(if you're a Mayer fan, who the heck it this girl Lydia he always talks about?) Because we're dealing with JAM here, I left out that part because Pam doesnt leave him (in my perfect Jam world...) Enjoy, my friends....

Oh by the way, I realize that these chapters are going to be out of order in the timeline, so I'll try to make it clear where these stories happen in the Office world. After this series is said and done, I'll go back and put them in order. Thanks...

August 2008- One year from now.

In these days with the world getting colder
She spends more time sleeping over
Than I’d planned

It wasn’t a bad thing. He loved when Pam stayed at his place and when they could relax and be normal, boring, everyday people together. It was the perfect life for Jim Halpert. He liked rainy days and staying inside when there was someone there to entertain him. And since they started dating almost a year ago, there was someone always at his place for entertainment.

For some reason, Jim had already expected to be living with Pam in a place of their own. It was a small dream he concocted the day after their first real date and he intended bringing that dream to reality very soon. But before he could muster up the words to bring the topic up in conversation, Pam had expressed that she still loved being a normal couple that commuted to and from each other’s homes and that she enjoyed their relationship the way it was. That made Jim put a hold on any plans he had at the forefront of his mind.


Tonight we're gonna order in
Drinkin’ wine and watchin’ CNN
It’s dark, I know
But then again, it's the brightest
thing I've got

It was a regular weekend night at Jim’s house; waiting for the takeout to arrive and channel surfing for something good on the television. It was the routine they’d created once they’d got passed the awkwardness and freshness of their relationship. It started at Pam’s house for the first few months and then they started ending up at Jim’s house after their dates. Pam always said she enjoyed being around his things because it gave her a better picture of who he was. He laughed off her statements and complied every time she begged to go to his place instead of hers. Heck, he was just happy they were deciding on who’s place they would be going to.

When I'm covered in rain, rain
When I'm covered in rain, rain, rain, rain

Jim looked forward to the candid moments they shared sitting on his living room couch or most importantly, his room. Everything these days was soothing, like rain falling on his face or on a window pane. It felt like he had a protection or a comfort wrapped around him but yet, he could feel every little drop of water on his skin. With the way his life had taken shape over the past few years, it brought joy to him to be able to have something so beautiful and bittersweet in his life. It wasn’t like Pam was his savior, it was like she had joined him in the crazy world he had created for himself.

From fireworks to fireplaces
Summer stole what fall replaces
And now we're people watching
All the people, people watching us, you and I

The sun had become darker in the passing weeks, making Jim’s home more cozy and welcoming to Pam’s presence. Their t-shirts had been put away and they pulled out the sweaters and heavy blankets. It was more of an excuse to get closer on the sofa and feel the warmth of each others arms. Jim wasn’t a complainer.

It was simple things in life that made them appreciate each other. Like the days they happened to take a walk through her neighborhood or go to the grocery store and the pharmacy down the road. The leaves crunched below their feet and she giggled sweetly at his jokes and witty comebacks as they clasped hand with hand. Life was simple at times and it was because they could bear the weight of the world on their shoulders; only if they did it together.

Standing by the missing signs
At the CVS, by the checkout line
She puts her quiet hands in mine,
Cause she's the brightest thing I've got

The days might of seemed stressful and tiring, but at the end of the day, all that mattered was sitting in his living room with Pam nestled up to his side. His life was humdrum and dreary at times, and those moments of closeness made it all worth the pain. His reward was Pam’s love and devotion. It wasn’t ‘nature’ or ‘heir doings’ that made this all worth while, it was divine intervention and they knew it. Something about the way it was so easy to be together was the key to their bliss. And, that’s when Jim realized that he couldn’t take the wait to be close any longer.

He rocked back and forth on his heels as they stood in the aisle of the small store. She placed her items into the basket she had hanging on her arm and turned towards him with a smile on her face.

"I hate buying a new toothbrush every time I leave it somewhere…" she mumbled to him, slipping the package into the basket.

Jim slipped his empty hands into his pockets and stopped his movements. He looked into her eyes as she glanced back at him and froze when she saw his expression.

"What?" she asked, a smile forming out of pure confusion.

"Why don’t you put that back?" he smiled, reaching to pull the toothbrush out of the basket.

Her hand stopped his with a look of wonderment. "I need it. Otherwise I’m going to wake up with some terrible morning breath…" she teased.

He continued to grasp the edge of the toothbrush and pull it away from her soft hand. "Why don’t we save a buck or two and just go by your place, grab yours-and a few other things- and go home," he said, sticking the package back on it’s holder. He flicked the toothbrush as it swung a few inches from her face.

"It would be easier to have two toothbrushes anyway…I always leave mine either at the house or back at my place…" she said, catching herself with her words.

Jim’s eyebrows lifted and a grin spread across his face. "You said ‘at the house’ like my place is home to you," he said, as she shook her head. "So, better reason to save the money and welcome your toothbrush home."

Pam stood still, looking at the swaying toothbrush in front of her face and then turned into Jim’s warm side. She looked up into his green eyes, hoping for clarity.

He spoke low and close to her ear. "Let’s move into together…" he whispered, hoping that it was a moment just shared between the two of them and not the rest of the shoppers.

It’s alright if you don’t wanna go home

It’s alright if you don’t wanna be alone

She smiled up and him and then looked back towards the lonely toothbrush on the shelf. "You’re right. I think I should save my money anyways…I’ll be moving soon," she said, turning and walking away happily. Jim smiled and dropped his head low as they paid and walked through the sliding doors and into the sprinkling rain.

When I’m covered in rain

 

Chapter End Notes:
Comments? Thoughts? Suggestions? Songs you want to see written into a fic? Give me a shout out and I'll see what I can do....yo. :)

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans