- Text Size +

At Poor Richard’s, she drinks two Tequila Sunrises and starts giggling.

He has a beer and laughs when she almost falls off another bar stool.

She orders another and stares at it for a while, saying, “Look how pretty it is. I almost don’t want to drink it.” But she giggles again and sips at it anyway.

She’s still in her cat costume and he can’t handle the way her whiskers look when she smiles at him. Or the way her tail hangs off the stool and swings back and forth as she laughs.

Then she’s serious and leaning in towards his ear, really close so that her lips are almost brushing against his skin and she says, “I’m really sorry. I was so scared when Michael took you into his office.”

He pulls back because it’s not that loud in here and she doesn’t need to be that close. “It’s fine, Pam. Really.”

She places her hand on his forearm and he really isn’t sure if she’s that drunk. “No. No, you don’t- When you were in that office, I just tried to imagine work- No, life without you and it hurt. Do you understand that? That it really hurt to imagine not seeing you every day? Like part of me was being ripped out, that’s what it felt like for that whole time you were in there with him. I meant what I said about blowing my brains out. I really would if you left.”

She pauses and takes a few more sips from the drink in front of her. Then she hiccups and puts a hand to her mouth and she’s so adorable.

“I would miss you so, so, so, so much.” She leans her head on his shoulder and nuzzles him a little, her nose pressing into his shoulder. And he can’t help but touch her hair a little and wonder why Roy isn’t here. “You’re my best friend,” she says quietly and sounds a little sad.

He thinks about making her promises about never leaving.

She sits back up and almost falls again. He reaches out and grabs her arm to steady her. She looks down and just stares at his hand there for a while.

She finishes the rest of her drink, gulping it down really quickly and she winces a little from the burn of alcohol.

Then she’s leaning again and she says, “You make me feel this really strange feeling in my stomach sometimes, you know?”

He wishes he didn’t have to drive home as he finishes his beer and says, “Yeah. Yeah, I know.”


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans