- Text Size +
He places two almost cold slices of pizza on her desk. She doesn’t look up, because she’s too busy staring down at the brochure with her index finger running along the crease. He nudges the pizza a little closer to her and then she slowly brings her head up.

He smiles, trying to get her eyes to lock in with his like they usually do.

“If I’ve learned anything today, it’s that pizza is the ultimate way to resolve any sort of conflict. So this is my peace offering,” he says, gesturing towards the pizza.

She laughs. “I see Michael’s been filling you up with so much wisdom down there.”

“You could say that.”

She starts to pick at the pizza crust and there’s still something vacant about her. He clears his throat and straightens his tie.

“So, listen, about what I said earlier…”

“You don’t have to apologize.”

“No, I do. I didn’t mean to be- It’s not my place to say anything.”

She looks up at him about to say something and then the phone rings. “Dunder Mifflin, this is Pam.” But when she says it, she almost winces and brings a hand to her forehead. “Hold, please.” She punches a few buttons on her phone and then hangs up and looks at him like he has the solution to this, whatever it is.

“It wasn’t Roy’s decision not to do the internship. I know you think that he told me not to do it, but he didn’t . He just told me that it was a risk and that I could take it if I wanted, but there were no guarantees. I decided not to do it.”

He nods, looking down at the surface of the desk. He says, “Okay,” and swallows and goes back to his desk.

She says, “Wait, Jim,” when he’s halfway there and he turns around to see her standing with the brochure clutched to her chest.

“Do you think I’d be any good?”

He grins, “I think you’d be great.”


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans