- Text Size +
It isn’t the best sex of her life. Though it might be the best sex of the last two years, but certainly not of her life. He does a few things for her and she manages to actually have an orgasm. If she’s being honest, she isn’t really thinking about him though. She’s thinking about Jim and his poker game tonight and how she’s seen him deal cards before and there’s something in the way he flicks his wrist that causes her to close her eyes and arch her body against Roy’s chest.

He’s quick to fall asleep afterwards and she finds herself in the kitchen a little before two with the phone in front of her. She knows who she’s thinking about calling, but she isn’t sure why. Before she can come to any sort of conclusion, she’s dialing the number and it’s ringing.

“Hello?”

He was asleep. She imagines him in bed, feels something tighten within her.

“Hi.”

“It’s late.”

She hears the rustling of his sheets as he sits up.

“I know. I’m sorry. I couldn’t sleep.”

This is a lie. She could sleep. In fact, she’s so tired these days that she sometimes feels like she could sleep forever. But she can’t very well tell him that she’s calling him right now because she feels like there was something very wrong about not spending Valentine’s Day with him.

“And I am the solution to this.”

“Yes.”

“Okay. Fair enough. How was your night?”

“It was okay.”

“You and Roy do anything special?”

She doesn’t say anything, because she wonders if she should lie and say that he took her out to this romantic dinner and then there was dancing and the bedroom was lit by dozens of candles. But there’s also something very wrong about lying to Jim.

“Uh, no. We’re sort of…past that romantic sort of stage in the relationship. After ten years, it just doesn’t…”

He makes a noise that makes her feel so lonely and sad and she wants to curl up with him.

“That’s too bad. I thought that with your wedding coming up so soon this Valentine’s Day would be a special one.”

“Yeah, me too.”

He yawns.

“I’m sorry. I should let you sleep.”

“No.”

The word comes out quickly and abruptly.

“Okay…”

“I mean, it’s fine. I can talk. I like talking to you.”

She finds herself smiling and turning her face into the phone like it will help her get closer to him.

He laughs then and she stops breathing. “Even if it is an ungodly hour of the night.”

“Thanks. And, hey, I found your card.”

She loves that she can hear the sound of his lips as he smiles against the receiver.

“Yeah?”

“Yeah.”

He’d somehow managed to hide it in her purse. She’d stuck the card to the refrigerator. A poorly drawn cupid Dwight, floating around in a garden. Inside, he’d written:

I know this hardly compares to the garden that Phyllis is currently having delivered to her right now, but she doesn’t have a diapered Dwight floating around. So, her loss.

Hope today’s a good day.

Love,
Jim

PS: Your hair looks good today.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans