- Text Size +

He finds her waiting there at the bottom of the stairs that lead up to the office.

“You should put ice on that,” she says, looking at his lip.

He reaches up and touches it gently. His fingertips come back with blood of them. “Shit,” he says under his breath. “Yeah.”

They walk side by side up the stairs and she keeps looking at him like she’s afraid. When they get to the door, she says, “I’m really sorry that Roy-”

“Oh. No, it’s okay. It happens.”

She nods and follows him to the kitchen. She takes a plastic bag from one of the cabinets and fills it with ice. She turns to where he’s sitting at the table and shrugs, “Since Dwight broke our one cold pack this will have to do.”

She wraps it in a towel and pulls a chair up in front of him so she can place the ice on his lip.

He sits up a little and their knees bump into each other. “You don’t have to- I mean, I can hold a bag of ice.”

She laughs, blushing, “I know. I just feel partly responsible.”

He smiles, but immediately regrets it. He winces and says, “Oh. Okay. So I know this is going to be hard, but try not to make me smile for a while.”

She looks at him and reaches up to push some of his hair out of his face. It’s sweaty and clumps together, but still feels soft. He smiles and winces again.

“Sorry,” she says, ducking her head a little.

“You not making me smile is turning out to be impossible, huh?”

She lifts the ice from his lip and looks at it as concern floods her eyes.

“Is it bad, nurse?”

“Nurse? What, I can’t be a doctor because I’m a woman?”

“Obviously.”

She puts the bag of ice down on the table and touches his lip gently with her fingertips. He takes in a short breath and closes his eyes, saying, “Oh,” under his breath. Her fingers move slowly over the rest of his lip and find themselves resting on his chin as she looks at him.

His eyes are closed a little and she feels frozen there.

He opens his eyes and she jerks her fingers away from his face and says, “Yeah, that’s going to be really swollen come tomorrow morning.”


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans