- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Pam has an idea.  She just needs to let Jim know about it.  Oh and all publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.  For realsies.

Jim was lying on the couch, clad in blue boxers and a faded Scranton t-shirt, aimlessly flicking though channels.  He heard a knock at the door.

 

Pam.

 

He turned off the tv, got up quickly and let her in.  She stopped just inside the door, pulled him into her arms and gave him a hungry kiss.  She slowly backed him into the living room, while still kissing him.  He pulled away, breathless, and said, “Whoa!  What was that for?”

 

Pam smiled a nervous grin.  “What?  I can’t give my fiancé a kiss?”

 

“Oh, is that what we’re going to do?  Call each other fiancé all the time now?  Can I call you that at work?  Can I get you a nameplate that says ‘Jim Halpert’s fiancé’?”

 

With a deadpan face she said, “You’re hilarious.”

 

“Thank you.  So, what wedding details are so important that you had to come over here at—,” he checked his watch, “10:35?”

 

“Um…” Her eyes darted around the room.  “Do you have any beer left?  I would love a beer right now,” she said as she walked quickly into the kitchen and whipped open the fridge door.

 

“Beer?  Uh…yah, I think I have some in there somewhere."  He followed her towards the kitchen and leaned against the door frame.  "Are you okay, Beesly?  You’re acting a little…weird.”

 

She rifled through a drawer for a bottle opener, popped off the top of the beer bottle, took a swig and breathlessly answered, “Yah…I’m great.  You know what?  Let’s go sit down.”

 

“Oookay,” Jim said with a puzzled look on his face.  He followed her into the living room and they sat beside each other on the couch.

 

Pam took another big gulp of her beer and set it down on the coffee table.  She took a deep breath and looked at him with a furrowed brow.  “Well…I was just doing some thinking,”

 

“Okay, thinking is good.  I like thinking.  What were you thinking about?”

 

Pam sat silently, grabbed her beer and started to pick at the paper label on the bottle.

 

“Pam?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“Earth to Pam.”  She looked up at him, still fiddling with the label.

 

“Beesly, you’re starting to scare me here.  You rushed over here to tell me something and now you're drinking and peeling labels and…you’re not having…second thoughts, are you?”

 

“No!  No.”

 

Jim sighed.  “Good!”

 

“Yah…no, I mean definitely not second thoughts.”

 

“Okay, so you want to talk about the wedding.  Are you worried about all the planning?  ‘Cause if you are, don’t worry about it.  I want us to do this together.  I mean, we have months to do this and--,”

 

“No.”

 

Jim looked confused, “ 'No’ you don’t want me to help or ‘no’…I…I don’t know what ‘no’ you mean.  Pam, seriously, I feel like we’re playing charades here.”

 

“I’m sorry.”  She set down the bottle and the bits of label and looked at Jim hesitantly. “It’s just…okay.  I have this idea and it’s a really crazy idea and sitting in front of my mirror at home it seemed like an amazing idea, but now, I…I…don’t…I don’t want to freak you out.”

 

Jim took her face in his hands, “Beesly, we both know you are a freak, but you won’t freak me out.  Whatever you have to say, just say it.”

 

“Okay.”  She breathed in deeply and took his hands from her face so that she could hold them.  “Alright, so I was thinking about my other engagement tonight.”

 

Jim’s face fell and he stared at her.

 

“I was thinking about how I waited and waited to get married and then it never happened, but then everything I planned ended up happening at Phyllis’ Wedding and I just…I just don’t want to plan a big elaborate wedding and I don’t want to wait.”  She bit her bottom lip waiting for Jim’s response.

 

“Okay, so you don’t want a big wedding.  That’s fine with me.  It can be small, simple.  Whatever we want it to be.”

 

“There’s more.”

 

“Okay…lay it on me.”

 

“I was thinking that maybe we could…I mean I want to…I think we should elope.”

 

“Oh." 

 

“Yah.”

 

 "Elope?  Really?"

"Mmm hmm?" 

 “Huh.”

 

“Is that a good ‘huh’ or a bad ‘huh’?”

 

“It’s an ‘I’ve never really thought about it’ huh.”

 

“Well, what do you think?”

 

“Well, my first reaction is that it sounds exciting, but…”

 

“But?”

 

“Uh, well, what about our parents?  I mean, I know my mom would want to be at my wedding and what about your mom?  Do you really want to get married without your mom being there?”

 

“I know…that’s the one thing I’m stuck on.  But, I think she would understand.  She knows what I went through planning my other wedding and I know she wouldn’t want me to go through that again.  Maybe we could have a party with our families when we get back?  People elope all the time, you know and it’s just…I don’t know.”  Pam sighed and buried her face in her hands.

 

He pulled her hands away from her face.  “Pam.  Look at me.”  She raised her head and they locked eyes.  "Just tell me what you're thinking."

 

“I’m sorry.”  She paused for a minute and chewed on her thumb nail.  “Alright.  Well, the idea just hit me.  It was like a vision that just flashed in my head.  But, now that I think about it, maybe it’s just too crazy.  We only got engaged two days ago and now I want to run away and elope.  I just…I just want us to be married and…maybe I’m just afraid if we wait too long?…I don’t know.”

 

“C’mere.”  Jim pulled her into his arms and rubbed her back.  “Listen to me.  I'm not Roy.  This is not going to be a repeat of what happened to you before. So, just take a few deep breaths and tell me about your vision.  Then I’ll tell you about my weird dreams about Dwight and beet babies and we’ll be even.”

 

Pam giggled.  She loved how he could always do that.  He could make her laugh in any situation.  She took some breaths and moved away from his embrace.

 

“Okay, so, like I said, everything about planning my wedding to Roy was really crappy.  He never helped to do anything and, well, planning weddings just brings back bad memories for me.  So I tried to not think about that and I thought of our wedding and it just came to me.”

 

“What?”

 

The corners of Pam’s mouth turned up as she tried to hide a smile. 

 

“Okay, so this is what I’m thinking.  An island, somewhere tropical.  Just you and me and a minister.  Oh!  And there’s the ocean and a breeze and we are just standing together and looking at each other and we’ll say our vows and it will just be...”

 

“Wow,” he said as almost a whisper.

 

“Okay, can you see it too?  Am I crazy for wanting this?”

 

Jim smiled a wide grin.  “No, actually, I think it sounds...amazing.”

 

“You know, also, when I think about it, I’m just not too crazy about getting up in front of hundreds of people and sharing something so…personal.  You know?  I just feel like this is our life and our marriage and it should be just between us.”

 

“Yeah,” Jim said thoughtfully.  He bowed his head and stared at her hands wrapped in his.  After a moment he brought his eyes back to hers and said wistfully, “Yeah, you know what?  That makes total sense to me. When I say my vows I want to say them just to you.  Our lives for the past three years have been on display with those cameras around and I do not want our wedding to be the property of Dunder Mifflin.”

 

“Exactly!”  Pam squeezed his hands excitedly and asked, “So…?”

 

Jim looked at her seriously.  “So…”  A huge grin crept across his face, “Let’s do it.”

    
Chapter End Notes:

Thanks again to everyone who is on this little journey to the altar, especially my beloved JAM Therapy peeps. 

Hmmm, I wonder where Jim and Pam will go to elope? 


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans