- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
The sections are longer than usual but I hope that they just clarify things. Jim's POV starts off and alternates with Pam. :)

 

 

February 10, 2003, 6:32 PM:

“Man, you suck at this!” I look back at Oscar, who’s already into his fourth beer. Really? It’s been, like, what… an hour and a half since we got to Poor Richard’s. Geez.

“Mr. Halpert, ignore him and go on.” Guh… “Mr. Halpert.” I sometimes feel old with our new quality assurance officer, Charles Bratton. This 21 year old, fresh from Marywood. We call him “Creed,” though. Reason? Well, when he first started a month ago, his cell phone went off during one of the meetings. Luckily, Dwight was in charge instead of Michael, who was off teaching a seminar at Lackawanna College. Anyways, Charles’ ringtone was “With Arms Wide Open” by Creed and Angela automatically recognized the song because she loved Creed and boom! Charles’ nickname became “Creed.” It’s unfortunate for Angie about the band kind-of disappearing, but she’s still hoping that they’ll come back with something. And really, it’s all about---

“Earth to Jim…” Ugh!

“Dwight! Never get that close to my face. Ever again.” I’ve probably drunk-kissed Dwight once or twice in my lifetime, but I’m still quite sober at the moment.

“Well, you’re off in La-La land instead of throwing the stupid dart.”

“Sorry.” I take my turn. Nice… 20 pts. That puts me and Dwight ahead. Do I feel bad that Creed was stuck with drunk Oscar? Nah. Especially after he still calls me “Mr. Halpert” even when he’s only three years younger.

“Hey, boys!” And here comes the girls. God, Angela sure know how to brighten up a room. I take a quick sip of water before giving her a kiss. Yeah, as much as she doesn’t mind me drinking, she kind-of hates the taste of beer when she kisses me so try to be considerate to the girlfriend, ya know.

“Miss Beesly, were you able to keep your cast?” I glance at Pam as she gives Creed a death glare.

“First, Creed, what did I tell you about calling me ‘Miss Beesly’?”

“Um… don’t call you that.” Poor guy. Well, not really, I’ve been subject to the infamous Beesly death glare for a year already so no real sympathy from me.

“Good. Secondly, why exactly would I want to keep a reminder of the pain and frustration that I had to deal with for the last two and a half months?” She’s still glaring.

“Yeah… sorry. Um, you wanna a drink?” Yes, ask her if she wants alcohol right after she got her cast off. That’ll get on her good side.

I barely got back on it. However, it really wasn’t my fault. Our winter trip was to Quebec City. Yes, Quebec City. You know the French city disguised as a Canadian one? See, it would have been more fun since Angela was a French minor so going to Quebec would kind-of been like going to Paris and she would have loved it. But since it was Pam and I, it wasn’t as great. I mean, we had fun. Going to a new place is always an adventure. Pam just wanted to get away from Scranton and her family and Roy and everything else. Angela told me to make Pam as worry-free as possible.

I tried. I really did. I thought that it was just going to be a fun trip. I had planned it out like a month beforehand and when we got there, it hit me. I forgot how much of this trip was supposed to be a romantic trip for Angela and me. So awkwardness was the theme for the first couple of days. I mean, the room situation was the first. I couldn’t change the reservation from the queen bed to two double beds. We ended up calling up about five pillows and built a pillow wall between the two of us. Then there was the couple’s massage… and the candlelit dinner… um… yeah, the first couple of days were just awkward.

However, by midweek, we got into a stride and we were able to truly enjoy the city. Yeah, it was cold, but it wasn’t extremely bad. It was sunny but windy so bundling up was the main thing. We sat down and planned out a sightseeing tour, especially in Old Quebec. I never realized it but Pam had a fondness for art so I definitely make sure for us to go to the museums. So, yeah, the week continued to go on well. Pam and I weren’t killing each other; in fact, I would say that we became friends… until Saturday night.

Remember the pillow wall that we had made? Well, we were just laying there and just talking and I decided to take one of the pillows and hit her with it. Of course, she responded in kind and we got into a pseudo-pillow fight. Now, there are no lights on except for the glow from the window… I had stopped after a little bit as she continued to whack me with the pillow. Suddenly, I heard a crash. Pam had been backing up on the bed until she finally reached the edge and just fell, hitting the nightstand on the way down.

She fractured her left arm. As well as bruised her spine. And twisted her ankle. And bumped her head. So… yeah… lovely trip to the hospital at two in the morning. Luckily, her spine wasn’t too bad… just a bit sore. Ice compress on her ankle and head. Since we were leaving later in the afternoon, she couldn’t get a cast until we got back home to Scranton; they just put it in a sling and taped a board on it so that she wouldn’t bend it. Well, that was the trip. Wasn’t the best thing ever. And Pam didn’t talk to me for weeks. She didn’t even talk to Angela. However, really? You can’t stay mad at Angela. It’s just not really that possible.

Pam’s still warming back up to me so it’s trying not to step on landmines.

“Bull’s eye!” And ladies and gentlemen, drunken Oscar has gotten a bull’s eye by tossing the dart behind his back. Wow…

 

 

February 11, 2003, 3:13PM:

I’m glad to have my arm out of that cast. But damn, it’s so weak. I could barely carry things. And it annoys the hell out of me that I have to ask for help. Especially from Jim. I’m always bothering him to He’s the closest to Reception and quite frankly, I’m glad that he’s there instead of elsewhere. Yeah, I had been hard on him because of the fractured arm thing but it really wasn’t his fault. I gotta say… I’m pretty jealous of Angela. I didn’t tell Jim this but everything that he planned for the trip, it was perfect and romantic and everything I wished a guy would do for me. However, Jim is Angela’s and that’s great. She deserves a great guy. Wait… did I just call Jim Halpert a “great guy”? Guh…

Ooo, now the fun starts. Here comes Michael to Reception. “Pam, has Jan called yet?”

“No. Not today. Are you expecting a call?” Jan usually just checks in on Mondays, so I’m a bit muffed.

“Yes, she had another meeting before I was able to get through the agenda yesterday and said she’ll call back today at three.” He glances at the wall clock before heading back to his office. “Put her through immediately when she calls.”

Jan. Jan Levinson-Gould. She’s one of the corporate managers at Dunder-Mifflin, overseeing the Scranton branch along with Stamford, Albany, and Buffalo. Let’s just say that hers and Michael’s managerial style are completely opposite. While Michael is strict and precise, she’s more relaxed and even a bit disorganized. She loves to shop and read gossip magazines. Whenever she comes to Scranton, she always decides to an excursion to Hershey and gets the giant bars of candy, even though Gertrude Hawk Chocolate is so much better. She’s such a girlie-girl, with her bright pink suits and the designer bags… yeah, very different than Michael. However, she does get the job done. She’s competent which Michael appreciates even if he hates when she’s chatting with Angela and I about Friends, Jan’s favorite show. We’re trying to get her on the Gilmore Girls bandwagon.

Oops! The phone… probably her. “Dunder-Mifflin, this is Pam.” Yup. It is. “One moment, Jan, while I put you through.” Damn, even holding the phone seems heavy.

Hmm… Jim looks awfully cute when he trying to concentrate on something that he has read several times already… God, Pam! Stop it! Stop staring!

 

 

February 12, 2003, 8:51 AM:

So strange… both Dwight and Michael are out after an emergency meeting was called at corporate yesterday. Stanley is out sick. Meredith’s out on a family vacation in Vail. Once Oscar found out Michael wasn’t going to be in, he just didn’t show up for work. Probably passed out from last night’s adventures. I should really try and get him help.

Anyways, I was left in charge. It’s not the first time but due to everything happening so suddenly, Michael didn’t give me his checklist or the two-hour discussion on what needs to happen while he and Dwight are gone. So, we’re just going about what we usually do. But it’s just going to be painfully slow and boring.

I need coffee. No offense to Pam but I hate it when she makes the coffee in the morning. It’s never strong enough and I just end up drinking more of it. Luckily, she hasn’t come in yet so yay! I get to make the coffee.

“Just the man I wanted to see,” Angela says as she walks into the breakroom. Better to give her a kiss now before I get coffee breath. “Listen, I was wondering on what are our plans for this Friday.”

Heh… this Friday is Valentine’s Day. I give Angela another kiss. “Just be free the entire night and you’ll see. It’s a surprise.” And there’s that 100-watt smile.

“I’m not interrupting anything, am I?” And here’s Pam.

Angela shakes her head. “Nope. I was just trying to figure out what Jim has planned for Valentine’s Day, but he’s not budging.”

“Ah. Well, I’m going to make the coffee then.” Or not.

“Um… I actually already started it, so don’t worry about it, Beesly.”

“You’re going to make it too strong, Jim.” She turns to Angela. “I hated it when he made coffee while we were in Quebec. It was always too strong.” And with a shrug, she leaves.

Wait… backtrack a moment. In the past two months, Pam hasn’t mentioned Quebec. Ever. Not even a little bit. And now she… without even… so weird. And the look on Angela’s face tells me she’s thinking the same thing.

I bring out a cup of coffee to Pam. “Here, I went in the middle of the two.”

“Thank you,” she says as she takes it from me.

“How’s the arm?” I figure it’s better to ask now than later.

“It’s better. Still kind-of weak, but it’s better.” Um… I think she just gave me the look over. Like looking from the top of my head and slowly down… how, um, weird.

“Okay, well, I’m going to go back to my desk.”

“Cool. Thanks again for the coffee.” Okay, I now feel a little self-conscious. She keeps on glancing over here… it’s nothing, Jim. It’s simply nothing.

 

 

February 13, 2003, 7:07 PM:

Pam, you’re being stupid. You’re being irrational. You can’t. You can’t do this. You don’t have feelings for Jim Halpert.

You just can’t. He’s dating one of your best friends. They’re perfectly happy. They’ve been so for a while. So, just stop looking into your fridge and actually grab something to eat or close it and order take-out. Tomorrow is Valentine’s Day. You’re going to be alone on Valentine’s Day. The first time in years. That’s ridiculous! You need a date. Call Marissa. She’s wanted to set you up on that blind date for a while.

Okay, maybe not tomorrow night, because then the guy might be expecting something. It’s only 7:00, you can go on a date now. Calling Marissa…

“Hello?”

“Hey, Marissa. It’s Pam.”

“Oh, hey, Pam. What’s up?”

“Well, I know that this is last minute and all but I was wondering if that guy that you’ve been trying to set me up on is free tonight.”

“Really? Are you sure you want me to?”

“Yeah. I’m positive.” That I want the feelings for Jim Halpert to just go away.

“Okay, well, he’s actually Colin’s friend. I think he’s a professor at the University. I have his number so I’ll give him a call and if he’s free, I’ll call you back with a time and a place. Is that fine with you?”

“Yeah. Totally.” I have nothing better to do tonight.

After hanging up, I decide that I look like a train wreck and go off to change into a date-worthy outfit. Roy never seemed interested when I wore something skimpy and sexy… probably the first sign that he was gay, right? Anyways, I got rid of most of those outfits except for this spaghetti strap red dress that I have. Yeah, definitely wearing that.

Ooo… phone ringing.

“Hello?”

“Hey, your date awaits for you at Farley’s. He’s heading over there right now so you get to it.”

“How will I know it’s him?”

“Um… He’s going to be at the bar. He’s been reading ‘The Tipping Point’ which just came out last month so he said he’ll have that with him.”

“Ooo… I’ve been wanting to read that. Alright. Thanks so much, Marissa!”

“No problem. Just let me know how it goes. Have fun!”

He sounds pretty good. I mean, Colin has good taste in friends. He surrounds himself with intelligent, witty people. A university professor sounds interesting, too. I wonder what he teaches. If he’s reading “The Tipping Point,” then maybe it’s psychology? Or maybe just literature? I’ve read only reviews of the book and it sounds like a thinking book, so for a casual read, the person has to be pretty smart. Holy shit, I’m so excited about this date! It’ll take my mind off of the suckiness that is my life.

Hmm… Farley isn’t too crowded tonight. Probably people are saving up their date night for tomorrow. I hope this dress doesn’t say “I put out.” Okay, looking for a guy at the bar with a book. Maybe Marissa thought that I would take a while to dress up and assumed that he would get there before—

“Pam?” I recognize that voice. Turning around… slowly.

“Hey…” Fuck! He’s has “The Tipping Point!” Oh, shit. Fucking shit!

 

 

February 14, 2003, 12:46 PM:

I don’t think I made a dumber excuse to leave the office early for lunch before in my entire life. I literally told Michael “I’ve been bothered all morning on whether or not I turned off the oven, so I’m going to go home really quickly.” Luckily, Michael seems to be in a good mood today so he just let me go.

Nothing was going right for me today since I woke up. The alarm didn’t go off, making me late and I wasn’t able to order flowers or pick up Angela’s gift. Several clients have been changing their orders. Dwight’s in a bad mood due to Mose bringing some “unsavory” people over last night, which doesn’t bode well for me and asking him questions about the new catalog which I have yet to familiarize myself with. And Pam’s been spacey and hasn’t helped me with the copies that I asked her to do and the faxes and blah and blah. It’s just been a bad day overall.

I do my errands at the Mall, including a quick stop at the food court, before heading back to the office. When I pull into the parking lot, I notice a brunette woman sitting on the bench on the front of the building. As I walk closer, I… Heh… that’s a first.

“You know that’s bad for you.” Pam looks up at me from the bench.

“I usually don’t smoke. I tried it in high school, but haven’t since. However, I just felt like I needed one today. Got one from the Vance Refrigeration guys.”

“Nice.” I sit down next to her. “You seemed a bit spacey today.”

“More so than usual?”

“Ha. No. There’s a difference between bored and spacey. You’re usually bored.”

“I had an interesting night last night and it just kind-of ran through until the morning, if you know what I mean.”

“What is this? Did Beelsy have a walk of shame?” I just couldn’t help on grinning as she dropped the finished cigarette to the ground and stepped on it with her foot.

“In more ways than one, actually.” She looks at me. “I had a blind date. We met at Farley’s. Got amazingly drunk and ended up getting a room at the Radisson. Let’s just say the both of us hadn’t gotten any in a while so it was just… yeah…”

“Oh my God. That’s… I have no idea what to say to that.”

“It gets better. Um, you promise that you won’t repeat this to anyone. Even Angela.”

“Okay. I promise.” This is going to be very good.

She leans into me and whispers, “My blind date was Michael.” And my mind is blown.

 

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:
Heh... were you expecting a little tryst from Miss Beesly? ;) With the school year winding down, I'll update more often... I swear!


sorano916 is the author of 11 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 8 members. Members who liked Opposites also liked 904 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans