- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Farewell to Dunder-Mifflin

July 19, 2007, 7:45 am

Five years, four months and five days.

An entire lifetime.

He looked up at the window of Michael’s office and remembered his first day, five years, four months and five days ago.

It wasn’t supposed to be like it was. It wasn’t supposed to be forever. It wasn’t supposed to be a lifetime. His lifetime. His everything.

And now it wasn’t.

After today he wouldn’t be back. He would never again take that ten minute drive from his house to the stark gray Scranton Business Park parking lot.

That lifetime was over.

As he grabbed his bag and trekked through the parking lot he tried to wrap his mind around what that meant. What it meant not to come back. To be done with it.

There was a weight, pressing and lifting. Pressing and lifting and he struggled to relax.

Five years, four months and five days of wanting, needing desperately to be done with it, to leave, to move on and up and now he felt almost… sad.

Was that even the right emotion? Sad?

Melancholy? Bittersweet? Nostalgic?

He shook his head as he trudged up the stairs, each step echoing the pulsing in his head.

After five years of sitting at the same desk and staring at the same people and calling the same customers he had finally decided that enough was enough. It was time to take the plunge.

Jump.

A better job offer. A new city. A new apartment.

A smile crossed his face he as thought of the place he had found only a few blocks away from Pam. Over the past weekend she had come over to help paint the walls and unpack the first few boxes. It should have been pretty simple but it wasn’t until ten o’clock Sunday night that they had collapsed in the middle of his living room, both covered in paint. The boxes remained unpacked as they talked and laughed into the night until Jim had to leave to take the drive back to Scranton one last time.

The image of Pam, her hair streaked with blue paint, laughing excitedly in his living room about how she was going to help him decorate was the one he was going to hold onto that day.

It was something he did often: picked an image of her and conjured it up in his mind during the day. He would close his eyes and see her smiling, see her laughing and there was so much comfort in that. Especially now, especially when they seemed so close… to something…

He thought of her excited little squeal of excitement when he told her the plan. The way she had wrapped her arms around his neck and told him he could do anything. And the way she said it made him almost believe it that it was true.

She made it easier to jump.

He had never before realized exactly how scared he had been. All those times when he told her to take a chance on something, to go out and find what made her happy, he had been lying to himself.

Hypocrite.

Over the years, Dunder-Mifflin had become like a drug. He was dependant on the consistency, numbed by it’s toxicity, stunted by it’s deadly dullness. In the end it was slowly killing him and like a drug the first step was admitting it to himself.

And after that it got easier.

He got the first job he applied for at a computer software company located in New York. It wasn’t perfect. He would still be a sales rep and he would be making less to start. But it was different and that was enough. For now.

For now it was just enough to be leaving Scranton.

When he got upstairs to the office he suddenly realized that he was early. That he hadn’t been early in five years, four months and four days and that he had no clue how he was going to spend the next eight hours. What does one do on the last day of work?

Lizzy was already sitting at the receptionist desk taking down the messages. She grinned at Jim when he walked in and he gave her a little wave as he sat down at his desk.

In the past year Dunder-Mifflin’s Scranton branch had gone through five receptionists. Janice had quit soon after the cameras left much to the relief of Michael and well, every single other person in the office. Then there was Cindy who had lasted three weeks, Melissa who had lasted two and Christine who didn’t even make it through her first day. After lunch she just… hadn’t come back.

Lizzy was a recent college graduate and had a spunkiness about her that reminded Jim of Katy. She even had the red hair to match. So far she had lasted about a month and if only for the fact that she somehow managed to keep Michael under control and ignore his uncanny ability to make an ass of himself.

She hung up the phone and turned to him, “So, last day huh?”

“Yup.”

“Excited?”

He shrugged, “Not really.”

She snorted, “Sure. Like, you’re not going to be doing some kind of happy dance when you leave here tonight.”

“Lizzy. I think you underestimate how much I love this job. No. When I get home I’m going to cry my eyes out.”

“Uh-huh. Whatever.” She looked back toward the door, “And just to warn you, Michael’s got the party planning committee putting together a surprise going away party for you.” She lifted an eyebrow, “I think he’s got a speech planned.”

Jim grimaced, “I kinda figured he would do something like that. You think I can sneak out of here and just call it quits now?”

Lizzy opened her mouth to reply but then shut it quickly and looked back at her computer screen when Michael walked in the door.

“Lizzy!”

“Hey Michael.”

“How’s my favorite little red--.” He turned to see Jim and his shoulders dropped.”

“Jimbo.”

“Michael.”

“Well, I guess this is it. You’re leaving us today. For the big city. The big Apple.” His voice was getting increasingly higher pitched as he went on and Jim had to purse his lips to keep from grinning too much.

“I heard a statistic on the radio today. Apparently more people will be mugged in New York this year than will be struck by lightning.”

Jim leaned back in his chair and nodded, “That makes sense.”

Michael thought about it for a second and shook his head, “No, that wasn’t it… More people will be struck by lightning than mugged in New York… No… I…” A pained expression crossed his face as he continued shaking his head, “Never mind…”

Jim swiveled in his chair to watch him march into his office and slam the door in frustration.

Lizzy snorted, “He’s really going to miss you.”

“Yeah, and I’m not really sure why…”

Jim noticed then that the message light on his phone was blinking. He picked up the receiver and punched in his code.

“You have three unheard messages… beep… Hey Jim, it’s Pam. Just wishing you good luck on your last day. Try to keep your excitement at a minimum. And whatever you do, don’t let Michael talk you into staying… beep… Hey, it’s me. So, get this. I’m walking to work and this guy stops me on the street and tells me I look like this girl from a show on NBC. How weird is that?... beep… Dunder-Mifflin, this is Pam. Please hold… Sorry, I just thought you might like to hear that on your last day. For old time sake. Anyway, um… I’ll be thinking about you today…”

Jim let a huge smile cross his face as he saved the messages and hung up the phone.

I’ll be thinking about you today.

Yes. They were definitely close to something.

He looked up then and pursed his lips in amusement.

“Hey Dwight.”

Dwight stood tentatively by the reception area and glanced suspiciously from his desk to Jim’s smile.

“Something wrong buddy?”

“You’re here early.”

Jim checked his watch, “Huh, yeah, I guess I am.”

“Why are you here so early?”

“Just excited to get the day started.”

Dwight’s eyes narrowed and darted back and forth as he approached his desk and scanned the area as if something was going to jump out and attack him.

“What did you do?”

“Nothing. Why?”

“I don’t trust you.”

“Dwight. I told you. I’m not going to do anything to you this week. Kind of as a parting gift.”

“Right Jim. Like I’m just going to believe you. I’ve been trained to detect a liar and you are lying.” He leaned forward and stared at him, “Your eyes tell me everything.”

Jim leaned toward him, “You have pretty eyes too Dwight.”

“I… you… Damn it Jim! Tell me what you have planned!”

“Don’t yell at him today… not today Dwight.” Michael emerged from his office again, his face tight with emotion.

“I want to file a complaint against Jim.”

“I didn’t do anything.”

“Yet…”

“You can’t file a complaint against him when he hasn’t even done anything yet. Besides, it doesn’t matter anyway… Jim’s leaving us today. Forever.”

“Good.”

Michael scowled, “Will you have a little respect here Dwight? This is an emotional day for us all. So just… have a little respect.”

Jim looked upward and shook his head, a small smile playing at his lips. For some reason Michael had taken it really hard when Jim had handed him his two weeks notice. At first he had played it off as a joke but when he realized that Jim was completely serious his face had fallen and for a moment he looked as if he was actually going to cry.

Jim knew that Michael was lonely. Knew that he held on tightly to whatever thread of a relationship was offered his way because maybe that was all he had. When Ryan had left he had been inconsolable. When Packer was fired a few months later he was crushed that his BFF would no longer be coming around the premises. The simultaneous breakup with his girlfriend Carol and Jan’s promotion up the Dunder-Mifflin corporate ranks had left him single and subject to a new humorless boss who was even more unwilling to put up with his crap than Jan had ever been.

The past year had been rough on Scranton’s regional manager and Jim had felt bad about giving his two weeks notice to top it all off.

“You still have me Michael.” Dwight smiled happily but Michael closed his eyes and sighed heavily.

“That’s not… helping.” He clenched his fists and looked around, “Lizzy are there any messages?”

“Barbara wants you to call her,” she replied, speaking of the new corporate manager.

“Oh god.” Michael threw his head back and groaned, “That’s great. Just great.” He disappeared into his office again and Jim turned back to look at Dwight who was turning over everything on his desk examine the bottom.

“What are you doing?”

Dwight smiled, “Thwarting your plans. Nothing gets by me today.”

Jim rolled his eyes and picked up the phone, “We’ll see.”

10:24 am

“I thought you were coming over tonight.”

“We already had this discussion. I’m not coming over. Not tonight and not tomorrow night. Not until you’re ready to ask me that question.”

Dwight glanced around the room and turned back to Angela, “What question?”

“You know what question,” she answered with a hiss.

Jim stopped outside the doorway, unsure of whether or not to interrupt the argument. Dwight and Angela were still working under the assumption that no one had any idea about their bizarre relationship despite the fact that everyone knew. Everyone that is except Michael who remained ever clueless about the goings on around his office and Creed who was just… clueless.

“What if I’m not ready?”

“Then I’m not coming over anymore.”

“Can’t we talk about this?”

Angela squared her jaw and folded her arms over her chest, “Fine. Tonight. But only to talk.”

She gave one last sharp look then turned on her heel and marched out of the break room past Jim. Dwight stared forlornly at the Three Musketeers bar she had shoved in his hand when she left.

“Lover’s quarrel?”

“No. It’s none of your business.”

“Okay.” Jim scanned the soda machine, selected the grape favored and dropped in his quarters.

“Question.”

“What’s up Dwight?”

“Exactly how would one go about asking someone to marry them?”

The clang of the soda can falling echoed through the break room. Jim straightened and turned around, pursing his lips in amusement.

“I’m flattered. But don’t you think this is a little rushed? I mean, I haven’t even met your parents yet.”

Dwight narrowed his eyes, “Not you.”

“Oh.” Jim popped the top on his soda, “Thought you were proposing.”

“I’m talking about my girlfriend.”

“Okaaay. Sure. It that’s what you want me to believe…”

“You know what? Never mind. I don’t need you.” Dwight stormed out of the room and Jim frowned.

He didn’t like the feeling of guilt that was rising in his stomach. It was unsettling.

Guilt?

Five years of pranks came to his mind. Putting nickels in his phone, moving his desk into the bathroom, putting the contents of his desk into the vending machine, locking him in the conference room, super gluing everything to his desk, convincing him it was Friday instead of Thursday, the alliance, the dojo fight, the jello… the list went on and on…

Guilt?

Maybe a little.

But he deserved it. One hundred percent deserved the ridiculous things that had happened to him. Didn’t he?

Jim suddenly found himself wondering if he should have spent more time actually getting to know Dwight, trying to figure out what made him the way he was.

Then he cringed, remembering that Dwight was still Dwight.

Things were better off the way they were.

There was no point in regretting it all now.

12:10 pm

Kelly sighed, “Jim, it is so romantic that you’re going all the way to New York for Pam. It’s like on Felicity when she decided not to go to Medical school and followed Ben all the way across the country. I mean, it’s not like you’ll be going all the way across the country. New York’s only a couple hours a way. But if a guy did that for me I would totally fall in love with him. Not that Pam’s not already in love with you. Because she totally is.” She sighed again, “Isn’t it romantic Lizzy?”

The receptionist nodded her head in agreement, “I’d marry my boyfriend if he ever decided to move his ass out here. So yeah, it’s romantic. Completely swoonworthy.”

Jim took a bit of a chip and shook his head, “I’m not moving to New York to be with Pam… And swoonworthy?”

Kelly and Lizzy shared a look, “Oh yeah.”

Creed walked in at that moment and opened the fridge. He started taking out various items, sniffing them and putting them back. He peered at them over the top of the refrigerator door, “The redhead just told be that we were having a going a way party for that Tim guy.”

Kelly’s mouth dropped open, “You’re not supposed to tell him!”

Creed shrugged nonchalantly, “Don’t worry. I’m great at keeping secrets.”

Jim coughed on a chip and Lizzy clapped him on the back, giving Creed a curious look, “It’s not Tim. It’s Jim.”

“Huh. Thought his name was Tim.” He shut the fridge door and began to walk out, “Gonna really miss that kid.”

When he left Lizzy and Kelly exploded into giggles and Jim nodded, a quizzical look on his face, “Sometimes I think those stories he tells about being in a band in the sixties might actually be true.”

“He does have an unhealthy knowledge about herbal remedies.”

Kelly gasped, “Remember that joint Dwight found last year? You think it could have been Creed’s?”

“I wouldn’t really be all that surprised.”

Lizzy laughed, “Dwight found a joint? I bet that was a nightmare.”

“Yeah, it was about as horrible as you would expect.”

“Wow. Are you sure you’re not going to miss this place?”

Jim took a swig of his water and looked at the ceiling, “Maybe more than I thought.”

“Aw, he’s getting all emotional.”

“Oh my God Jim, are you going to cry?” Kelly’s eyes widened and she regarded him with a sympathetic look.

“I think I’ll be okay.”

“This totally reminds me of the last episode of Mary Tyler Moore that I watched on Nick at Night and how everyone was actually really sad to leave and then at the very end they turn the light off and close the door. You should totally do that.”

Lizzy snorted, “Yeah, except he’s the only one leaving. And the maintenance crew is usually the one that turns off the lights.”

Jim nodded, “Besides, that’s not how I would do it.”

“Yeah? You’d go out in a different fashion?”

“Oh yeah. I’m thinking somewhere along the lines of St. Elsewhere. Maybe I’ll just wake up tomorrow and Dunder-Mifflin will just be a fake building in a snow globe by my bed.”

“That would be weird.”

“And why the hell would anyone have a snow globe of Dunder-Mifflin?”

Jim laughed, “I guess I figured that something had to account for the absurdity of this place.”

“Yeah, but if you’re responsible for thinking up Dwight and Creed then you need some serious psychological help.”

Kelly’s eyes lit up, “What if this was all a television show? How cool would that be? I mean we came pretty close with the documentary but that was just a couple hour thing on the local cable station. What if there was actually a show on television about Dunder-Mifflin? Oh my god, who would you want to play you? I would totally choose that actress from ER. Last year when her husband got killed off on the show I totally bawled my eyes out. It was so sad.”

Lizzy nodded, “Kristen Bell from Veronica Mars. She’s such a good actress. She could play me.”

Kelly nodded, “Totally.”

They both looked at Jim, “What about you?”

He regarded them warily, “Umm, I don’t know. Tough question. But I think the better question is: who would actually watch that show?”

Lizzy laughed, “Not me.”

Kelly thought about it for a moment, “Yeah, I guess I wouldn’t either. But it would still be totally cool.”

12:45 pm

Jim walked around the corner, bracing himself for what he knew was coming.

“Surprise!”

His eyes widened and he put his hands up in mock disbelief, “Guys, what is this?”

Michael clapped his hands, “This is your goodbye party, my friend.” He waved his hands towards the other employees, “We just wanted to show you how much we care.”

Jim smiled, “Thanks guys.” He took in the party hats and crepe paper and bored faces, “This is great.”

Michael came forward and threw his arms awkwardly around Jim’s shoulders, “Before you leave I just have a few words to say.”

Oh no.

“James my boy, what have you worked here ten years now?”

“Five.”

“Five wonderful years! And I’m sure you’ll look back one day and think, ‘those years at Dunder Mifflin – those were the best years of my life.’”

Jim pursed his lips and looked at the ceiling.

Anything but that.

“And in those years you have learned so much. And you have been lucky enough to call me your mentor.” Michael clapped him on the back, “When it’s time to name the Godfather of your children, you don’t have to look any further than back here at good ol’ Scranton.”

Jim nodded, “Yeah, David, the security guard already agreed to it.”

“No. Not him…” Michael shook his head and laughed, “Ha! A joke! See… he has learned from me. His boss of comedy!”

Boss of comedy?

“So Jim. As you leave here, you leave with the teachings of your fellow co-workers and friends to guide you along your paths. Use them well.”

“Thanks Michael.”

“Any last words?”

Jim looked around at all the familiar people. Dwight was leaning back in his chair scowling. Kelly and Lizzy were perched on his desk together, their feet propped up on his chair. Angela was leaning against the wall by the copier with her arms folded. Stanley was sitting at his desk, his head bent over a crossword puzzle. Kevin, Oscar, Creed…

He laughed to himself, a vague memory filtering through his mind of that day he had organized an “Office Olympics.”

“Um… I guess I just have to say… I’m gonna miss you guys.”

And somehow he knew that he actually meant it.

3:30 pm

“Seriously, what are you planning for him? It’s almost four o’clock. You’re running out of time.”

Jim laughed, “I’m telling you. Nothing.” He cocked his head to the side, “I figured it’s the worst thing I could possibly do to him.”

“He’s going insane. He keeps looking at you like you’re about to light his desk on fire or something.”

He held up his hands in a show of innocence and Kevin nodded, “Niiice.”

Oscar laughed, “I think he might actually be disappointed.”

“Um. I don’t think so.”

“I don’t know man, it’s almost like he wants you to play one last prank. I think the guy’s going to miss you.”

Jim shook his head, “Not possible.”

“How would you know what he thinks?”

The three men turned their heads to look over at Angela who was regarding Jim with a steely gaze.

“What?”

“You barely even know him. How do you know what he’s thinking?”

“You want me to play one last prank on him?” Jim asked with a puzzled look on his face.

“No. I don’t condone ‘pranks.’ They’re inappropriate. Especially in the workplace…. I just think there’s more to Dwight than you might think.” She looked up then and caught the shared smirk that Oscar and Kevin shared, “Not that I know.”

“Right.”

Angela sighed stood up with a roll of her eyes, muttering under her breath as she walked away.

Kevin grinned slowly, “I bet Dwight knows Angela better than the rest of us do.” He raised his eyes suggestively and let out a high laugh, “If you know what I mean.”

Jim grimaced and moved to leave, “That it just… wrong.”

4:45 pm

He knocked on the door and pushed it open to see Michael turned in his chair and staring mournfully out the window.

“Hey, Michael, can I talk to you for a minute?”

“Oh. Hey Jim. Yeah, come on in.” Michael spun around and folded his arms over the desk, “What’s uh… what’s going on?”

Jim shut the door behind him and sat down, leaning forward to rest his elbows on his knees, “I just want to thank you for the party. It was great.”

“Yeah. The party planning committee did… I mean, it was mostly my suggestions. It was my idea to have to party.”

“I kinda figured.”

“Listen Jim.” Michael rested his hands on the desk and leaned forward, “What do you want?”

“Not sure what you mean.”

“What do you want? What can I do to get you to stay?”

“Oh.” Jim opened his mouth and shook his head, “Michael…”

“I’ll fire Dwight.”

“No. Don’t do …”

“You can be Assistant Regional Manager.”

“Umm…”

“Better pay.”

“Michael…”

“You can have the conference room as an office…. You can have my office!”

Jim cocked his head to the side and scratched the side of his face, “That’s sounds… great. But I’ve already got this other job lined up and they’re expecting me… so… thanks though.”

Michael nodded, his face registering his disappointment, “Yeah… gotta go after the woman huh?”

“The woman…? Michael, I’m not… I mean, that’s not why…”

“Sure. How is the Pamster?”

Jim smiled and looked down at his hands. “She’s great.”

“Yeah.” Michael looked wistful, as if he was remembering all his lost loves and past regrets and Jim remembered the time that he hadn’t invited him to his party. Something in that made him feel really guilty.

And he was tired of feeling guilty.

“I just wanted to thank you Michael. For everything you’ve… taught me. It’s been great working here these past five years.”

Michael grinned, “We had some good times didn’t we?”

“Yeah. We did actually.” Jim stood up and extended his hand, “You’ve been a good… friend.”

“Thank you.” Michael hung his head bashfully, “It’s not going to be the same without you here.”

They shook hands and Jim nodded, thankful that Michael was able to handle it like an adult for a moment. He turned and headed back out the door. But before he left he added, “Hey, Michael. If you’re ever in New York. Give me a call.”

Michale smiled widely but Jim shut the door before he could say anything else.

He shook his head. That was something he was going to regret.

5:15 pm

Jim saw Angela sling her purse over her shoulder and head for the door. When she passed by his desk she gave him a curt little nod, “Good luck in New York Jim.”

“Thanks Angela.”

He gave her a little wave and noticed the way she looked subtlety at Dwight, raised her eyebrows a little and waited for him to nod in return before walking out the door.

Jim looked over at Dwight, “You leaving too?”

“Yes. I have rehearsal.”

“Yeah? Rehearsal for what?”

“Umm… it’s practice… a meeting.”

“Wow. You are a really bad liar.”

Dwight raised his eyebrows, “Or maybe I’m a really good one. The point is that you don’t know.” He stood up, threw a couple papers in his briefcase and snapped it closed.

Jim leaned back in his chair and folded his arms over his chest, “Are you going to miss me Dwight?”

“No.”

“Good to know.”

“Michael has given me the responsibility of helping to hire your replacement. As part of my duties as Assistant Regional Manager. Rest assured that the next person will be much more qualified.”

Jim nodded, “Maybe… but you won’t have as much fun with him.”

Dwight stopped, reopened his briefcase, scanned the contents suspiciously and glared over at Jim, “What did you do?”

“Nothing. I told you before.”

“You’re telling the truth?”

“Do you want to look in my eyes again?”

Dwight shook his head and re-closed the briefcase, “I can tell by the tone of your voice.”

“That volunteer sheriffs training has really served you well Dwight.”

“Yes it has.”

Dwight stood awkwardly between their desks for a moment.

“Jim.”

“Dwight.”

They nodded to each other but Dwight still didn’t move to leave. Jim shook his head, “I didn’t do anything to your car either.”

“Oh… good.” His back straightened and he walked out the door without another look back.

Jim watched him leave, surprised at the feeling in his chest. Surprised at the look on Dwight’s face as he left.

Was it? Could it have really been… disappointment?

He stood up and grabbed his keys out of the top drawer. Maybe there was one last thing he could do.

5:35 pm

Lizzy looked up when Jim walked back into the office.

“Where were you?”

“I had to run to the store. Listen, do you think you could do me a really big favor?”

She looked at him quizzically as he placed a small packing box on the counter. “Yeah, sure. What’s up?”

“All you have to do…” He opened the box and titled it down so she could look inside, “Is follow the instructions.”

Lizzy’s eyes lit up, “Are you serious? Is that actually going to work?”

He grinned and went back to his desk to sling his bag over his shoulder, “It’ll work.”

She pulled the box off the counter and tucked it under the desk, “I used to think that you were the only other sane person in this office. Now I’m not so sure.”

“Yeah, this place definitely gets to you after a certain amount of time. Take my advice and don’t stick around too long.”

“I’ll remember that. Any other pearls of wisdom?”

“Umm, don’t ever leave a tuna sandwich in the fridge. Dwight will throw it away or Creed will eat it. Never, ever forget Michael’s birthday. Don’t accept a challenge from Kevin to see how many M&M’s you can fit in your mouth. You will lose. And uh, try not to fall in love with the devilishly handsome sales rep that takes my job.”

Lizzy laughed, “I don’t think that’s going to happen.”

“Hey, we sales reps are known for our irresistibility.”

“Sure.”

Jim looked around the office one last time before grabbing the box of odds and ends of his desk and tucking it under his arm.

“Well, I’m off.”

“Well, I’d say see you around but I’m guessing I probably won’t.”

“Yeah.” Jim looked down, “Probably not.”

“Good luck in the city.”

“Good luck with Michael.”

He began walking out but stopped when she called out his name, “Hey Jim?”

“Yeah?”

“You’re gonna marry this girl aren’t you?”

Jim just smiled and waved, “Bye Lizzy.”

“Bye Jim.”

He turned and walked down the hallway, passing the elevator to push through the door leading to the stairwell. He had to go down there one last time.

“Jim… I… um…”

That moment echoed in his mind and he remembered how close he had gotten. How close and how far all at the same time. The hesitation they had both felt. The fear…

The memory faded as he reached the bottom floor and walked out into the lobby. In his mind Pam was wearing blue paint streaks and a laughing smile.

He took a deep breath, pushing through the double doors and into the glaring sunlight outside.

Sunset.

How fitting.

He wanted the laugh at himself. At the way he was trying to find meaning in every moment, significance in every event from the day. Like trying to draw the last possible drop from the bottom of a drink glass. Trying to slow it all down, memorize this place and these people and this moment. After all those years of desperation and boredom he was leaving it like he was leaving something behind.

As he threw his box in the back seat of his car he could feel everything falling away behind him into the vastness of time and memory. The pain, the boredom, the sheer meaninglessness of it all. Someday he would look back on those five years and think that maybe it had never really been that bad and maybe Michael had actually been a little bit funny and maybe the only thing that mattered was that it brought him to Pam.

“Halpert.”

Jim stilled.

It wasn’t all past him yet.

Almost a year and they had managed to avoid this. Managed to stay in their separate corners.

But somehow he knew that it had to happen. He had pictured the scene, oddly enough in the same parking lot where he has once come so close to admitting to Pam everything that he felt about her.

Jim turned around and squinted into the setting sun, “Hey Roy.”

“Hey.”

A silence fell between them and Jim watched in growing apprehension as Roy swung his arms back and forth awkwardly.

It occurred to him then that he had never really been a in a fight before. He was tall but he wasn’t big and he didn’t really like his odds in this setup. He wondered what his new boss would say if he showed up on Monday with a black eye.

“I heard you were leaving.”

“Yup… yeah… it’s my last day.”

“Cool man.” Roy stopped swinging his arms and stuffed his hands in his pockets, “You going to New York?”

“Umm.” Jim rubbed the back of his neck, “Yeah. That’s where the new job is.”

“Sounds great.”

“Yeah.”

Roy looked off to the side, “How is she?”

“Oh. Uh… she’s… I mean, I not…” Jim looked up and let out a breath, “She’s really good.”

It was silent for a moment and then, “Good.”

Roy looked back over to catch his eye. A silent moment of understanding passed between them.

“Just…um… make sure she’s happy. Okay?”

Jim nodded, “Yeah… will do.”

Roy nodded in response and turned to walk away without another word. Jim watched him retreat back toward the warehouse, relief and understanding filling his body.

His phone vibrated in his pocket and he pulled it out, smiled at the caller ID and flipped it open, “God, can’t you live just one day without hearing the sound of my voice?” A smile spread across his face, “Hey… watch that tone… uh-huh, sure.” He slipped into the driver’s seat and started the engine. “Actually, it wasn’t that bad… No, I didn’t cry… Yeah, he did.”

He rested the phone between his ear and his shoulder as he backed out of his parking space. And when turned left out of the parking lot he didn’t look back to see the building disappear from his review mirror.

The Next Day

June 20th 2006, 7:57 am

Dwight was early to work as Dwight always was… except for that one time. But it wasn’t his fault so it didn’t matter.

He took the stairs because he was feeling energized and the truth was that he always took the stairs. Kept him healthy.

As per usual, Lizzy was the only one there when he reached the office and she gave him a little smile as she checked the messages from the night before.

He saw it then even before he reached his desk, even before he had passed Jim’s empty one.

“Dammit Jim!”

Dwight dropped his briefcase onto his chair and glared angrily at his desk. He looked up at Lizzy, “Do you know anything about this?”

She shrugged and held her hands up then turned back to the phone so Dwight couldn’t see the smile that was playing at her lips.

“I knew it. I knew you were up to something.”

He stared suspiciously around the room as if every pencil, stapler and coffee mug could be rigged for attack.

Then he stopped. Stopped and stared and for the first time something like a smile crept across his face.

Sitting on his desk was a jiggling, yellow jello mold and floating inside, staring up at him with identical beady eyes, was his bobble head replica.

But this wasn’t what made him smile.

Propped up next to the jello mold was an index card with two words written in dark black sharpie.

ASK HER


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans