- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Title: Motion City Soundtrack - The Conversation.

Again, this is being randomly written, so we'll see where it takes us. I'm thinkinkg it's going to tear away from the format, but only for this chapter. I want to give some 'background' as to what'll be coming in chapter nine.

She sits on her bed, laptop resting on her lap and a glass of fruit-punch in her right hand.

Staring at the blank screen, she wonders where she went wrong. How did she lose him? Or did he lose her? They were never on the same page. She stares at the screen a moment longer, then clicks over to Travelocity.

She wants to travel.

Not far, mind you. She just wants to see. To be outside of this city, this state. She books a flight to Houston (Texas, of all places!) for a fairly cheap price. A hotel in a small suburb, close to the highway (or so the reviews tell her). Supposedly, there's good shopping and great food in this surburb. And it's only 20 minutes from the heart of the city, not that she really wants to go there. Maybe a few museums. Art from the Metropolitan is being showcased there, and admission's only $15. The Phillies are playing whatever baseball team's in Houston, and maybe she'll do that. She books her flight back home to take off two weeks later. She doesn't finalize the order, yet.

**************************************

He just wants to be alone. He has to figure this out. He has to figure out what he doesn't know, why he's being left out.

He can't tell Karen that, of course. So instead, he does the only thing that will save him a talk.

He breaks up with her.

And she asks why, of course. He doesn't know what else to say.

He's said it all. And so, as cheesy and filthy as it makes him feel, he quotes a song: "I'm too tired to pretend it doesn't hurt to be left out."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Karen," he pleads. Don't make him say it.

But she wants to, she needs to hear it. "Her."

He steps to look out the window, and she sees it.

He's thinking about her. He feels left out of her life, which he is, and rightfully so.

And she knows that if he figures it out, she'll be completely singled out. She can't take that. She's strong, she can take competetion and stress but not lonliness. "Okay," she resigns, "I'll leave."

"I...See you at work Monday." His eyes silently plead. Don't say anything else.

"I'm leaving Scranton, Jim. You feel left out of her life, can you imagine how long I've been left out of yours? This...This game. I don't want to play anymore. I'm putting in for an immediate transfer, and taking vacation until it goes through."

She stands up a little straighter, having regained some confidence. He doesn't say anything, and she feels like slapping him, but he's so vulnerable. She stands on her tip-toes, and kisses his cheek. "Take care, Halpert."

And he's mad that she's not mad, but he can't figure out why.

He runs and grabs a coat, prays he remembers the way to her house.

Chapter End Notes:
Um, we'll see. I don't like this too much, but it's a nice set-up for next.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans