- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Title: Look After You, the Fray.

I own nothing.
She carries her computer into her living room and sets it on the coffee table just as her doorbell rings. "Just a minute," she calls out, and runs to put a t-shirt on over her tank top/night shirt.

She whirls the door open so quickly it makes her dizzy, which isn't good because the sight of him standing there - hair seemingly on end and breathing heavily - makes her stomach do backflips. "Jim," she whispers. "You, um - I was just about to turn in for the night, so --"

"This'll just take a...Just a second," he heaves. "Please."

She can see it in his eyes - he's got that look. The same look he had that night he turned her world upside down. She moves to close the door; "Come on in."

What was that? She can't figure out what she just did, but now Jim's here, standing in her living room.

Staring at her computer.

"Houston?"

"Seemed like a good starting point...What'd you want?"

"You're leaving?" He seems bewildered.

"For a while. Why? Why'd you come here?" Anger flashes in her eyes. He has no right to intrude on her.

"How long's a while?"

"What do you want?"

He leans in to read her non-confirmed ticket closer. "Two weeks? What can you start in Houston in two weeks, Pam?"

"Why are you here?" She asks, as sternly and calmly as she can.

"I wanted...When were you gonna tell me?"

"I wasn't. You'd figure it out eventually. Besides, I'll be back. It's just a vacation." She turns and walks towards her kitchen. "Water?"

"Please. Um. I came over to --"

She hands him the water and looks him in the eye: "It's no different than going to Australia, other than, you know, I'm not leaving the country."

"I broke up with Karen."

She stares up into his eyes, so close she can feel his breath. Surely he can feel hers - why else would his neck be covered in goose bumps? "I don't care." A wicked little smile crosses her face.

"Yeah, you do."

"Okay," she sits down and crosses her legs. "Tell me, Jim. Tell me what I care about, what I know, what I don't know, why I should've told you I'm going to Houston - hell, why I'm going because I don't think I'm sure - and why the hell you're still in my living room?" She leans forward, elbows resting on her knees, and motions for him to sit.

"I'll stand. I --" He looks at her. "You care that I dumped her. You know you're in love with me. What you don't know is I'm still in love with you. You're running to Houston, and you should've told me because I'm your best friend. I'm still here, well, now, 'cause I'm hoping for an answer slightly different from last May." He smiles faintly.

"Out."

"Excuse me?"

"Get out." She stands. "Look. Leave, Jim. Just, go home, get some sleep. My flight leaves in a week so for the next seven days I don't want to hear your better-than-me bullshit."

"You haven't confirmed your flight. You're not really going."

She reaches out and clicks a button. "Yeah, I am. Good night, Jim." She stands and walks to the door, locking him out in the gentle summer breeze.

Chapter End Notes:
Um. This took a direction of it's own. Where'm I going with it?

Here?

How about here?

How about reviews with suggestions and/or praise? :]

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans