- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Karen and Jim's conversation, Michael thinking someone's been having sex in the hospital, and a few 'That's what she said'. Enjoy!

“Uh… I should… go,” Pam murmured, shocked by Karen’s appearance. Jim looked at her, alarmed that she was going to leave him alone with a crying ex-girlfriend.

“Pam--” he whispered as she grabbed her purse next to the bed, but she raised her eyebrows.

“I’ll be in the cafeteria.” She avoided Karen’s eyes as she walked out of the door.

A long and awkward silence filled the room, only punctuated by Karen’s sniffles and the beeping of the medical equipment.

“So... Does it hurt?” Karen asked, looking up from her crossed arms.

“You know, you just set me up for a ‘That’s what she said’ joke. Michael would be proud,” Jim tried to joke, but immediately stopped when Karen didn’t laugh.

“Don’t,” she whispered.

“Uh… it’s not too bad. I’m fine.” These words that were supposed to comfort her just seemed to upset her more.

“No. You’re not. I know about the crash, and it’s nothing to joke about.”

“Who told you?” Jim sighed.

“It’s on the chart on your door, but wouldn’t you say it’s pretty obvious?” Karen asked, and for the first time, Jim could hear the metallic bite of anger in her voice.

“I told you, I’m fine. They’re letting me out in a week, and I’ll be back to work, even.” His eyes pleaded with her. “Please don’t be mad.”

She furrowed her eyebrows. The last thing she wanted was to be mad at Jim, yet she couldn’t bring herself to forgive him for keeping her in the dark and letting her worry.

She stared at the tile floor, ingraining it into her memory to distract from the lump rising in her throat. Two white, one black, two white, one gray, two white, one black--

“I’m sorry,” Jim whispered hoarsely. Karen looked up from the tiles. “I’m so sorry I didn’t call you,” Jim added, locking into her gaze directly.

She wouldn’t give in to him that easily. He didn’t know what it had been like for her. “You called Pam.”

She couldn’t believe she said it, but she didn’t want to take it back. She wasn’t ready to accept his apology; it had been frustrating, nerve-wracking, and all too scary coming to work and not seeing his coat hanging on the rack or his messenger bag slumped next to his desk. Bringing up Pam was selfish and immature, she knew that, but she needed to hear him say it, to hear him explain himself.

“Pam’s just…” Jim hesitated, and Karen immediately regretted bringing it up when she looked at Jim. He was pained, and it had nothing to do with the accident. She knew what he was trying to say, even if he didn’t know himself. She knew that Pam was his best friend, the girl he trusted, the girl he went to.

The girl he loved.

“Karen--” Jim tired, but she cut him off.

“Forget it,” she said, waving it off. “I shouldn’t have.”

Jim knew it would be polite for him to insist it was alright and that she could ask, but he held his tongue; he didn’t want to make anything more difficult.

“Just… let her know. Okay?” Karen said with a sad smile. Jim sighed, hoping she would understand how hard it was for him.

Karen walked over to Jim and sat down in the hard plastic chair next to his bed. She scooted closer and placed her hand on top of his, giving it a soft squeeze. Jim was startled; it was the first time they had made any physical content since their break-up.

“How could it get any worse?” she attempted with a laugh. “I mean, you were hit by a drunk driver, broke your leg and multiple ribs, been given what I’m sure was a peaceful visit by Michael.”

Jim laughed. “So true.”

“The worst thing that would happen is that you might be in an awkward position--”

“That’s what she said!” Michael said, leading everyone in to the hospital room, the boyish grin lingering on his face as he surveyed the scene in front of him: Karen leaning in close to Jim, her hand on top of his.

“Oh, naugh-TAY! Sex in the hospital!” Michael said as he gazed at Karen. She quickly drew her hand back. “It’s like in all of those porn videos! Hey, Karen.” Michael stopped and laughed. “We should get you one of those outfits, you know? The sexy nurse kind? That would be hi--larious!” Kevin bobbed his head in agreement.

“Okay!” Jim said louder than necessary. “I’m starting to feel a bit tired.” He gave a very loud and very fake yawn, and Pam had to turn her laugh into a cough. He stretched his arms over his head for extra measure, but regretted it as his ribs set on fire. He gave a real sharp intake of breath, and Michael took him seriously.

“Right, well, feel better, Jimbo.” Michael looked at Karen, and he couldn’t help it; another childish laugh escaped Michael as he headed out the door.

“Feel better, Jim,” Phyllis said, giving him a wink on the way out.

“Alright. Thanks.” Jim said as everyone filtered out, leaving Pam and him alone.

“Hey--” Jim started, but Pam was bursting to tell him something.

“Dwight came back.”

“Really?”

“Yeah,” she said biting her lip and smiling. “He’s here to inquire about,” she lowered her voice, “your powers.”

“Excellent,” Jim laughed.

“I’ll go get him; he’s waiting behind that potted plant next to your room. I think he’s hiding from Angela.”

“Send him in. This should be good.”

Chapter End Notes:

Thanks to everyone who has read and reviewed! I kind of got swept up in the Karen/Jim thing, which I originally didn’t plan on having any of in this story, so I hope you liked it. Next chapter is what I’ve been planning since the beginning: Dwight inquiring about Jim’s ‘powers’. Please leave a review! I’d really appreciate it!


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans