- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Back to short and sweet! Hope you like it!

 

Luckily the birthday incident didn't keep us from drinking grape soda. It was still our thing. I'd buy it, she'd smile, I'd think about the fact that she was engaged to someone who wasn't me. It sounds sad, I guess, but it really wasn't that tragic all the time. I was mostly just grateful to have such a good friend.

We talked about everything and nothing. I'd never met anyone who just totally and completely understood me like that, so I decided even if I couldn't have her the way I really wanted to, at least I could have her as a friend, you know? Okay, I swear it wasn't always that pathetic. Honestly. I mean, for the most part, we usually just forgot about all that and had fun together. After all, that's what we do best.

"Soda is bad for you, Jim. I don't know why you drink it so often." Dwight lectured from across the table in the kitchen. Pam was sitting next to him, and when he glanced over Jim could see her mouth twitch a little, but she didn't say anything.

"Thanks for the advice, Dwight," he responded.

Apparently Jim's polite lack of interest made Dwight feel a need to defend himself. "I'm just trying to look out for the health of my subordinates. We'll need everyone working at full capacity if we're going to keep up with the mid-season rush."

"Not your subordinate, Dwight." He chose to ignore the fact that there was no mid-season rush, because as much as he loved arguing with Dwight during work, this was lunch, he was sitting next to Pam, and he had better things to do.

"Actually, you are. I am assistant regional manager. And you are...oh wait, that's right. You have no title. You're just another lowly member of sales."

"I thought Michael said you were the assistant to the regional manager," Pam interrupted.

"Not important," Dwight countered.

"You know something, Dwight, you're right," Jim feigned a thoughtful expression. "I am nobody here. Wow. I mean, you, you're like an actual titled member of management, but me? This is just... I think I'd better go think about this...for awhile. I mean, this is really depressing," he glanced over at Pam to make sure she was keeping a straight face. "I'd better just... I think I'll be in my car." Jim rose to leave then, and when Dwight followed him over to the sink he knew it had worked.

"Jim," Dwight said kindly, placing a hand on his shoulder. "I know this is hard. I'm sure you wanted this promotion too, but Michael chose the man he thought would do the best job. It's okay if you need a little time to come to terms with that. In fact, I'll even cover for you this afternoon."

"Wow. Thanks, Dwight. I can't tell you how much that means to me." Jim replied, being careful to keep his tone from being over the top. He wasn't sure how much more he could get away with, but a whole afternoon to himself wasn't a bad start. "You know something, Dwight? You really are the best."

"I know."

"Seriously, though, I'm really depressed about this. I just hope I don't do anything drastic," Jim mused.

"Take Pam with you. She seems like she could be good at cheering people up." Pam's eyes widened, and Jim was privately amazed that he'd gotten this far.

"Okay, yeah, that's probably a good idea, I mean, just to be safe. Can you tell Michael we'll be back in a couple hours? I'm just really having trouble coming to terms with this."

"Take as long as you need, Jim. And rest assured that I am fully competent to handle all of your afternoon leads in addition to my own."

"Thank you," Jim repeated, moving like he was thinking of hugging Dwight. Dwight quickly side-stepped that and left the kitchen.

Three minutes later Jim and Pam were still laughing as Jim's car pulled out of the parking lot.

They chatted pleasantly as he drove, both still wondering how long it would take Dwight to figure out what had really happened. When he slowed for a stop light three blocks from the Marquee Cinema, her hand brushed his as they both reached for his still half-full can of grape soda that was sitting in the cup holder between them.

"Are you gonna keep doing that?"

"Doing what?" she asked, eyes full of innocence.

"Stealing my soda."

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"Okay." He just smiled and pretended not to see her when she took a long sip from the can thirty seconds later.

See? That was a good day. Well actually, back then, every day with Pam was good. But then there came a point when I just couldn't pretend anymore. She was getting married-for real this time. And I knew I wouldn't be able to just sit there and let it happen. So when the chance to transfer came, I took it.

At the time, all I wanted to do was get away. I mean, I thought I'd completely lost Pam. I don't want to get all mushy about it, but it was a really hard time for me. Eventually I decided to get rid of everything in my life that reminded me of her. I guess I just thought it would be easier. I mean, no one can spend their whole life getting upset over little things like passing an ice skating rink on their way home from work every day, or getting a rock in their shoe, or trying to decide what kind of soda to pick from the vending machine. So for awhile there, grape soda was totally and completely off limits.

 

Chapter End Notes:
Thanks for reading!

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans