- Text Size +
The sound of her voice makes him sob all over again. He stands up for the first time in hours, hovering over her still body. He barely notices that his tears are raining all over her sheets.

Her eyes do not open, and her body doesn't move.
"Jim," she repeats.

He collects himself.
"Christ, Pam, You've had me scared as hell! I'm so--"

"Jim," she interrupts, still motionless. "What's going on?"

He sits back down, still holding her hand."D-do you remember anything?"

She sighed. "You told me the office was burning hot. I thought you were lying or something."

"You had a rediculously high fever."

"Yeah."

There is a long pause.
She sqeezes his hand to tell him she's still awake. At least for now.

Pam finally breaks the silence. "What time is it?"

"A little after midnight."

She thinks for a minute. "You really don't have to stay, Jim."

He returns the squeeze. "I know."

And with just those two words, she falls back asleep with a slight smile implanted on her face.

Jim considers it a get-well gift.

-----------------------------------

They both sleep peacefully, hand in hand. However, at about 3:30 in the morning, Pam wakes up, hyperventilating.

She squeezes Jim's hand harder than ever. "Jim!" she yelps.

He jolts awake to see her wincing in pain, panting for a full breath.

"Jim!" she repeats desperately. She digs her nails into his palm.

They separate hands for the first time in nearly twelve hours as he jumps out of his chair to press the nurse-call button.
"Hang in there, Beasly. I promise I'll be right ba--"

Her eyes are finally open, fierce, glazed with fear. "Jim no! Don't leave me! Pl-please stay! I need you--"
her words are consumed by throbbing tears. She flails her arms in the air, making begging motions him to come back to her side. She nearly snaps one of her IV chords in desperation.

"I promise, Pam, I'll be right back! Just hang in there while I find help!"
He dashes through the curtains to find the first hospital staff in sight. However, before he knows it, he's completely lost in an impossible maze of dreary, white hallways.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans