- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
The next morning, Jim is paralyzed with guilt.  Not only for what he had done, but for the fact that if he had to do it all over again, he would.  His chest is constricted as he looks at Pam lying next to him, everything he's ever wanted.  Yet he had cheated on his wife.  He was an adulterer.  He was That Guy, the one he never thought he would be.

Not surprisingly, things are awkward with Pam as they go through the day.  He can't stop staring at her all through the conference.  She looks as though she is going to burst into tears at any moment.  He tries to talk to her at lunch, but he chokes on his words.  She just smiles and her eyes glisten.  They don't really talk on the flight home.

When he gets home that night, he quietly opens the door and tries to sneak to bed without waking Karen.  But she's up reading, and she asks how his trip was.  He says he is really tired and wants to go to sleep, that he'll talk to her in the morning.

But he can't sleep.  He feels sick for betraying Karen, yet he can't stop thinking about what it felt like to finally make love to Pam.  He yearns for it, like a drug.

Instead he gets up and pours himself a drink.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans