- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

It is a summer day, and he's sitting at an outside cafe, sipping ice coffee.  He is thirty-eight years old, divorced, father of one, and the Vice President of Marketing, DMI- Northeast.  He goes to AA meetings once a week, lives alone, and every other weekend he has custody of his eight-year-old son, who lives upstate with his mother, and who happens to hate his guts.

So this is just another day in the life of James Halpert, when he happens to spot her walking across the street, pushing a stroller. 

At first he can't believe it, but he can't just let her walk on by without finding out for sure, so he ditches his coffee and sprints across the street.

"Pam!" he yells.

She stops, and turns around.

"Jim?"

He nods, and runs up to her.  She throws her arms around him, pulling him into a hug.

"I can't believe it's you," he says, in barely a whisper.

She pulls back and says, "Me neither."  They smile at each other.  He looks down at the stroller.  "And who is this?"

The little boy was fast asleep.  "That's Ben," she says.  "He's three.  Too big for a stroller, really, but he's a runner-awayer."  They both laugh.

"How are you?" he asks.

"I'm okay," she answers, looking down.  "I'm divorced.  Ben's dad left about a year ago, and I'm working at a web design company."

He nods, but doesn't respond.  He just can't believe she's standing here in front of him.  After an awkward moment, he asks her if she wants to join him back at the cafe, so they could chat.  She agrees, but he senses hesitation.

They chat for an hour, and it's almost like the old days.  Almost.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans