- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
In the fall, Karen starts talking about marriage.  He balks, and always tries to change the subject.  She finally confronts him, and he tells her that he is still adjusting to this new life, that he needs more time before he thinks about making that step.  She seems to accept that, and backs off.

Every two weeks he drives to Scranton to meet with Michael.  He always gets butterflies in his stomach and feels a vague sense of nausea when he emerges from the elevator and enters the office.  But that feeling always dissipates after he greets her, and when they talk and laugh together it feels like the old days for just a few minutes, until something invariably snaps him out of it.

But one day, he gives in to himself, and asks her to go for coffee.  She agrees, and it isn't even awkward as they sit and talk about the things he has missed since moving to New York.  Two hours later he realizes he still has a long drive ahead of him, so he reluctantly tells her he has to get going.  He walks her to her car and lingers a moment.  After he says goodbye she calls after him.

"Jim!"

He turns.

"I've missed you."

"Me too," he says.  When he gets in his car, he feels the nausea come back.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans