- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

It takes him about four months to tell Pam that he and Karen are engaged. He mentions it offhand in the breakroom, as a passing comment, because the wedding invitations will be going out soon and he doesn't want her to hear from someone else. He does not expect the reaction he gets. She blinks slowly, nods, and walks away without a word. He calls after her. She turns and says, "Congratulations, Jim. You deserve to be happy," and continues on back to her desk.

He feels like a jerk, but he's not sure how to make it right with her. The next time he comes in, she greets him distantly, and she won't talk to him.

Later on that week, in a meeting about the new corporate website, he learns that a position has opened up for a graphic designer. He thinks of her immediately, and calls her to tell her about the job. "It would be a great opportunity for you," he says.

She is still distant but she's open to the possibility. "I'll think about it," she tells him, and then adds, "Jim? Thanks."

A month later she accepts the position and transfers to the corporate office.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans