- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry for the delay in updating. Think of this as a way to keep the holiday spirit in your heart for a little longer than usual this year!

Monday, December 24th -


Come on, Beesly,” Jim called over his shoulder as he struggled through the door with the large bag, “we're already late.”

Relax,” Pam replied, rushing from their bedroom to the kitchen while attempting to put in a small hoop earring and pull her hair back into a ponytail all at once. “I didn't give them an exact exact time.”

Jim put the bag on the front porch and leaned back through the front door. “All the same, I'd rather start the holidays on a good footing with your dad.”


Pam finished stacking the Tupperware boxes full of baked goods into a gift bag and walked it over to him. “My dad already loves you and you know it.”


Jim grabbed the bag with one hand and Pam's waist with the other, pulling her close for a quick kiss. “Says you. You don't see the look he gives me when you leave the room.”


She laughed and returned his kiss with another. “What look?”


He wrapped his other arm around her waist, the bag still hanging from his fingers. “The look that says 'don't think I don't know what you do with my daughter.' ”


Oh, right.”


It's a frightening look, Pam,” Jim insisted.


And yet,” she mused, “It doesn't seem to stop you.”


Well, no, of course not,” Jim replied. “But let's just say I don't have any intention of getting caught in the act either.”


She shook her head. “Go put the bags in the car. I'll be right out.”


Pam did a final sweep of the bedroom, tucking into her overnight bag the few gifts she had hidden away from Jim's prying eyes. She was pretty sure he wouldn't purposely have peeked at his Christmas gifts, but she figured it was better not to take chances. Besides, he'd made a big deal out of hiding her gifts, even though she made it clear that sneaking a look before Christmas was one of the biggest sins in her book. The only thing more comical than their claims they didn't trust each other was the idea that they could successfully hide anything from each other, given how small their apartment was.


You're wanted outside.” Jim's voice startled Pam, who quickly pulled the zipper on her bag shut.


What?”


He jerked his thumb over his shoulder. “Just go see. I'm going to use the bathroom before we set off.”


He disappeared out of the room and Pam took her luggage and headed outside to see what needed her attention. She expected it was Jim's way of telling her he couldn't fit everything into the car, but was pleasantly surprised to see Parma leaning up against Jim's silver Audi.


Hey,” Pam called cheerfully. “I didn't think we'd see you today. I stalled as long as I could.”


Yeah, sorry,” Parma replied, greeting her friend with a warm hug. “My darling mother had me out on errands all morning. It goes against her nature if she doesn't actually wait until the last possible moment to do things.”


That's okay,” Pam nodded, opening the back door of Jim's car to toss her bag inside. “What are your plans for Christmas?”


The usual. Dinner tonight at my sister's. Too many family members in one room, most of them asking why I'm still single.”


You should take a date then,” Pam suggested. “That would calm their fears that you are going to end up old and alone.”


No, then they'd probably just pressure the poor guy to propose to me in front of them all.” Parma sighed and brushed her hair out of her eyes. “Tell me again why family is so important?”


Ask me after the holidays,” Pam laughed. “I still have to survive a few days of relatives, too.”


Yeah, but you guys get to play the adorable couple. Nobody gives them a hard time.”


Apparently Jim thinks my dad hates him,” Pam said.


Really? Why?”


The usual you're-stealing-my-daughter reason, or so Jim says,” Pam shook her head. “He claims my dad gives him dirty looks when I'm not around.”


Does he really not like Jim?” Parma asked incredulously.


Of course he likes Jim,” Pam said with a sigh. “What he doesn't realize is if my dad truly didn't like him, he wouldn't be looking at him at all.”


Parma laughed. “Are you going to tell Jim that?”


Maybe,” Pam grinned. “Maybe I'll make him sweat it out another holiday. Depends what I get for Christmas.”


PJ!”


I'm kidding!” Pam laughed. “I'm kidding. I'll tell my dad to quit the funny looks when we get there. Not that he'll admit he was making any.” Pam looked back toward the apartment. “I wonder why Jim is taking so long.”


Parma opened the messenger bag she had slung over her shoulder. “Might his tardiness have anything to do with these?” She handed Pam not one, but two manila envelopes.


Two?” Pam said gleefully. “Yay!”


Now don't get crazy,” Parma warned her. “One's for today, and one's for tomorrow. I'm afraid I can't manage to drive down to Harrisburg on Christmas Day, despite my commitment to service.”


Phfft,” Pam snorted. “Like you're going to know.”


Pam....” Parma warned.


Pam grinned. “What? You're not!”


Should I give them to Jim to hold then?”


Give me what to hold?” A deep, familiar voice interjected.


Hey you,” Pam said warmly, turning toward the now-arriving Jim. “I wondered when you would get out there.”


Sorry – my brother called to ask about tomorrow,” he explained. “What do I get to hold?”


Nothing,” Pam replied.


Those envelopes,” Parma said at the same time. “Pam's threatening not to play fairly.”


Jim eyed the two women. “Well we wouldn't want Pam not to play fair,” he nodded. “And she isn't exactly known for her patience....”


I'll be fine,” Pam said insistently, wrapping both arms around the envelopes and hugging them to her chest.


Jim shrugged at Parma. “She says she'll be fine.”


Parma shrugged back. “So she says.”


Come on, we gotta get going,” Pam said, pushing against Jim playfully and walking towards the other side of the car. “Or do you want my dad grumbling about how you can't get his daughter home in good time for the holidays?”


Okay,” Parma laughed. “You guys have a great Christmas.” Parma hugged Jim, then walked around to hug Pam.


And don't peek at the second one until tomorrow!” She admonished her friend.


Pam's only reply was a mischievous grin.


It was about a two hour drive to Pam's parents' house, but the trip seemed much shorter. Because despite the fact Jim and Pam were together practically all day, every day, their conversation continued on and on and on and on. Pam outlined the Beesly Christmas eve rituals. Jim responded with what his family always did on that night. Pam gave him a list of ornaments to look for on the Christmas tree – items her mother simply could not resist using year after year after year. Jim described what they would find when they drove to his parents on Christmas evening for dinner. They wondered if it would be okay to wear the same clothes in both the Beesly holiday photos and the Halpert holiday photos, since Jim forgot to pack his back up sweater. During the entire conversation, however, Pam's thoughts were never far from the envelopes sitting on her lap, and she wondered what Jim would do if she opened today's while he drove.


They were about thirty minutes from arrival when Jim stopped for gas and Pam decided she just couldn't wait a minute longer to read today's letter. As soon as he closed the car door she tore the flap of the manila envelope open. It was a bulkier envelope than most, and she feared spilling its contents all over the car, so instead she simply peered inside.


Slips of paper – varying in color, in size and in thickness – nestled at the bottom. She decided to wait until she could be alone to sort those out, though she was certain she could name the movie stubs she was sure to find. She remembered it had been a great month for going to movies. Then she remembered it had also been a great month for making out in the back of the theaters of those movies. Who cares if they were perhaps old enough to have known better? It had been fun.


She did pull out the lei that seemed to be responsible for most of the bulk. She slipped the multicolored, fabric-petaled necklace around her neck, and thought back to the day Michael took the whole office to the beach. Well, the whole office minus Toby, of course. She waited with a touch of excitement to see what Jim would say about it when he returned.


She ignored the map that was also in the package and pulled the letter out as Jim slid back into the driver's seat. Whatever he was about to say was lost on his lips as he looked over and saw what she was wearing, and then noticed the letter in her hand.


Nice lei,” he said casually as he started the car.


So I've been told,” she replied, unable to resist a grin.


Wow,” Jim laughed. “Just.....wow.”


Pam giggled, while Jim shook his head and headed back onto the highway. After a few moments of silence, Pam ran her thumb over the letter and took a deep breath.


Hey,” she said, her voice sounding throatier than she'd intended.


Hey what,” Jim replied, glancing at her with a smile.


Do you mind if I open this now? I mean, read the letter?”


Jim looked at her again briefly, and shifted in his seat. “Um, no,” he replied, “That's fine.”


Pam began to gently open the envelope when Jim spoke again. “Do you mind if I put the radio on?” He asked.


No, go right ahead,” she said, her eyes focused on her task. She wondered briefly if Jim was hoping that the music would prevent her from talking about the letter. She almost felt the need to reassure him that she had no intention of putting him on the spot, but a small piece of her kind of enjoyed his discomfort. After all, he was making her squirm having to wait each day for the next letter, wasn't he?


She smiled though she knew she was being somewhat petty, and promised to make it all up to him eventually as she unfolded the handwritten pages.

 

Dear Pam,

If my counting skills are correct, you are reading this on Christmas eve. Before I write anything else, let me just say how lucky I am to be spending Christmas with you. I can't help but think over the last handful of Christmases, when what I knew I wanted more than anything was to be with you, and instead had to pretend that everything was fine as it was. So apologies in advance if I seem to be hovering, or if you feel like I'm not giving you enough space. It will just be harder than usual to resist the urge to kiss you or hug you or hold you. I'll be reminding myself that this is finally real. That spending Christmas with the one person I love most in this world is happening, and it's not a dream. Thanks in advance for putting up with me.


Now where was I? May. We had been a couple for already a third of a year by the time May arrived, and while that's a mere 90 days, give or take, I felt as comfortable with you as if we'd been together for years and years. I think by this point I was finally starting to believe that the other shoe wasn't going to drop – that I wasn't going to wake up and found out that I'd been in a coma and it had actually all happened in my head. If I'm being honest, it was around this point that I started to see that maybe you were in fact NOT perfect. I mean, I knew you weren't – I always knew that – but I remember thinking that month that there were things about you that were probably going to drive me insane eventually.

No, don't ask for what it was you did or said that prompted the thought. I can't remember what exactly it was – no really, I don't remember! And I was probably in a bad mood anyway when I thought it. But somehow the idea that things about you could irritate me actually made me feel good. Because I am only too aware of all my faults, and sometimes I think they must be so obvious to you that it's a wonder you stay with me. So if you have faults, then maybe you'll be able to overlook mine.


I suppose in many ways May was your month to shine. I certainly don't take any credit for it, but over the those first few months we were together, you seemed to me to have more confidence. I'd never seen you like that before - standing up for yourself, putting yourself first. It wasn't any one big aggressive showdown or anything. Just you not being afraid to tell people what you wanted and expected. And it made me so very proud of you. I know change like that hasn't been easy for you. I guess I just want to remind you that I'll always be there to support you, and I'm not afraid of you changing more to be the person you really want to be. What you want for you, I want for you. Given how completely you have accepted who I am, it's the very least I can do.


One day that stands out as a perfect example of how far you have come is that day Michael took us all out to Lake Scranton. What is it with his need to drag us near water? I guess I just should be grateful it wasn't January. But from the very beginning, when he told you that you would have to take notes and sit on the sidelines the whole day, you stood up to him. You told him that it wasn't fair and you had as much right to enjoy the day as anyone. Of course, had you realized at the time that none of us were going to enjoy that day, maybe you would have decided to sit it out.


Pam, you were amazing that day. There is just no other way to put it. I still can't believe you wanted to do the coal walk. I can't believe that you DID the coal walk. I did however, like the look on Michael's face when you pointed out that he was supposed to be our leader and yet he couldn't do something you had the guts to do. As much as I do feel sorry for Michael at times, I didn't mind seeing him put in his place. He does (still!) sometimes take advantage of you, so it wasn't like he didn't have it coming.


I didn't even mind helping you take care of your feet after the walk. I do think it was a bit excessive when you had me carrying you from room to room three weeks after your skin had healed, but I'm sure you weren't taking advantage of my generous and giving nature. That wouldn't be like you at all. I'll just remember who to come to next time I need lotion applied to interesting locations.


When we found out that Michael was applying for a position in New York, I remember how we cringed over the idea of Dwight taking over the branch. Then David Wallace called me to come in and interview as well, and I have to say that having your support during all of that meant everything.


I know we've talked about it a lot since then – how taking that job could have changed our lives in so many ways, most of them changes people would see as good. But right from the beginning, all you worried about was whether this was a move that would make me happy in the long run.


Yeah, I admit I was a bit dazzled by the salary and the perks. A New York is a world away from Scranton. Had I focused only on those things, knowing that you said you'd come with me, I probably would have taken the job. I mean, as long as you're with me I'd go practically anywhere.


But your questions about what I really wanted from life – those are what made my final decision easy. And I know how irritated I seemed at the time, feeling like you were pressuring me into making a decision when all you really were trying to do was make me be aware that I had options. I'm lucky you didn't just give up on me right then and leave me to fend for myself.


So in the end, I stayed in Scranton. We stayed in Scranton. At least for now. And while I know I haven't made much progress figuring out quite what I'm going to do with the rest of my life (I'm still not completely sold on this whole growing up thing people keep telling me about) – I know you helped me avoid making a wrong decision.


I meant what I said that night I came back from New York. If I spend the rest of my life right here, I am okay with that. As long as you are here too. But just because corporate life at Dunder Mifflin is not what I want, it doesn't mean we give up on the idea of branching out. I think we owe it to ourselves to not be afraid to look at other places, and maybe someday live in other places. And I know I'd never have thought such a thing possible if I didn't have you. You make me feel like being a little more courageous in my dreams is not just wishful thinking. When you tell me you believe in me, then suddenly I find I'm believing in me, too. Where would I be without you?


We talked a lot that night about all the places you wanted to travel to – Paris, London, Venice, Greece. I even told you about the journey I had mapped out across Russia when I was sixteen and had discovered the works of Tolstoy. I'd never shared that with anyone before, because well – it was a bit geeky. And maybe now it wouldn't even be possible – but you still listened that night as if it were.


May taught me that no matter where you want to go, I want to be the one to be with you. Whether it's a temporary or permanent change – wherever you want to call home is where I'll call my home too.


Love,

Jim


Pam turn her head to look out the passenger's window, pretending to take in the view when in fact she was trying valiantly not to cry. What had she done in her life that was so good and so right to deserve someone like Jim? As she wrestled with the desire to make him pull over just so she could wrap her arms around him, she noticed the scenery looking familiar. They were in Harrisburg.

 

“It's the next exit,” she said, grateful for a neutral subject to talk about.


“I know,” he nodded. “I have been here before.”


“Right,” she nodded back. She stole a glance at his profile. She was definitely going to be kissing that face just as soon as it was possible to do so. She remembered her conversation with Parma and cleared her throat to speak again. “You do know that my father does like you, right?”


Jim didn't respond until he finished exiting the freeway and pulled to a stop at the red light. “I have no idea what your father thinks of me, to be honest. He's a tough person to read.”


“I know he is,” Pam agreed. “I spent most of my childhood having friends who were terrified of him for no good reason. He just gives off that vibe, you know?”


“Yeah,” Jim chuckled, “I do know.”


“Well, believe me. He likes you.”


“If you say so.”


“He likes you because he knows you make me happy.”


“And how does he know that?” Jim asked, eyebrow raised as he glanced over at her.


“Because I told him.”


“Just like that?”


“Yeah, just like that.”


Jim pulled up to the next stop sign and they looked at each other, then each smiled. “Hmmph,” was all he said as he made the next right which lead to the street Pam had been raised on.


When they pulled into the drive and turned off the car, Pam placed her hand on Jim's as it sat on stick shift knob. “Your problem is that you are too worried about being polite to him,” she told him.

 

“Yeah, I should try being rude,” he replied. He turned his palm up so he could interlace his fingers with hers. “That would make it so much better.”


“You know what I mean,” she chided gently. “My father says things to people just to get a reaction. Use some of that Halpert wit on him next time he does and see what happens.”


“I'll be spending the rest of the holiday waiting for you in the car?”


“Idiot,” she sighed, rolling her eyes. Then she leaned over and kissed him, sliding her free hand up around his collar to pull herself closer. They might have been satisfied to stay like that a bit longer but a loud bang startled them apart. They looked through the windshield and saw Pam's younger sister Emily leaning against the hood of the car.

 

“Hey, you guys get a room!” She yelled laughingly.


Pam grabbed Jim for another kiss before they finally got out of the car.


“Nice to see you too, Emily,” Pam said hugging her sister. “You can help us carry all this stuff in.”

 

Emily happily carried off several bags of treats and presents as Pam rummaged through her overnight bag. "Come here," she said to Jim as he pulled their suitcase out of the trunk.

"What?" He smiled as he stepped close to her.

Pam put her hand over her head and opened it to reveal a sprig of mistletoe.

"Nice," Jim murmurred before bestowing the expected kiss. "Pretty convenient to travel with your own mistletoe."


"Just wait to see where I hang it tonight," she said archly.

Emily's return scuttled Jim's original reply, though the look on his face made his reaction clear. "Wow," he said lowly. "Now that's the Christmas spirit."

The car was finally empty as Pam thought of something else. She hadn't seen a charm in the letter she'd just read. She pushed Jim and Emily to the house with the promise of following along in a minute.

“Something wrong?” Jim asked.

“No,” she said. “I just want to make sure I'm not leaving anything behind.”

“Which you could easily come back out and get if in fact you notice later that you had left something,” Jim replied, not quite believing her explanation.

“Go on,” she gave him a slight shove. “You know my mom is dying to see you. I'll be right in.”

“Okay,” he said, still giving her a confused look. “But hurry up.”

She nodded and opened the passenger door, running her hand over the seat. Nothing. She saw nothing on the floor mat, so she crouched down and tried to look under the seat. There sat a tiny scrap of red and white striped paper. She reached for it with sigh of relief, as the scrap became a solid mass in her hand. She shut the car door and leaned against it, anxious to see what charm she had received today.

An involuntary gasp escaped when she pulled the paper off to reveal a globe charm – complete with the ability to spin on its axis. She smiled as she closed her hand around it and headed into the house to greet family and then find a moment to put on the charm. It was a redundant gift to be sure, she thought, given that he'd already given her the world.

 

 

Chapter End Notes:
The charm for May: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/mst3kgirl/fanfic/PAQ-QC5056.jpg

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans