- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

OK guys, indulge me here.  This is actually based on a role that I would love to see JK play, but I thought it would be even more interesting in the context of the show.  I apologize to all you hard core Jim lovers out there.  This story makes him hard to love.   

 

Author's Chapter Notes:

OK.  Remember, all AU, I'm just taking the characters and playing with them some.  Don't throw things.  Or at least, only throw soft things...

I went back and changed this chapter a little bit, fleshing out the dialogue and taking out a key phrase I decided I didn't want to explore after all. 

He watched her eyes, watched the emotions flash through them with the tiniest smile of pure pleasure.  He flexed his hands and felt her gasp, reading her thoughts through her expressions.  Trust, acceptance, primal excitement, then doubt, fear, disbelief, panic and struggle.  

Now, finally, regret. 

His brows slammed down as rage rose within him.  She regretted him?  He squeezed harder, her struggles rapidly weakening as the finality of death settled upon her.  He watched impassively as the tremors took her body, blood vessels bursting and marring her beautiful green eyes.  

Then she was still. 

He tightened his grip once more, making absolutely sure she was gone.  He was surprised to find his own breath ragged, rapid bursts of steam punctuating the cold air around him.  

He wrinkled his nose at the sudden stench - her body had finally let go and all manner of waste had been evacuated.  The utter indignity of death had always disgusted him.

He gave her a final shake, her hair bouncing in the cold night air, then deftly folded her already stiffening body into the waiting chest, snapping the locks and enjoying the finality of the ‘clicks'.  

As he shoved the heavy box off the bow the voices of the remaining revelers reached his ears.  He quickly stepped away from the railing, running his fingers through his hair and adjusting his coat, the pretty former cheerleader now something less than a memory, reduced to a worrying niggle at the back of his mind.

"Hey man!  Where ya been?  Ech!  What is that smell?"

"I think someone got a little seasick over there.  Gross.  So, ready to go?"

"Yeah - totally cool of you to drive us back, man.  Old reliable Halpert, huh?  Hey, where's Katy?"

"She had to go - she wasn't feeling well so I put her in a cab.  To be honest, I think she kinda dumped me tonight."   

"Aw man!  It's the circle of life, huh?"

His eyebrows shot up, hidden in the mop of hair on his forehead.  Could he have seen something?

"Uh - what?"

"Oh, you know what I mean man.  I mean, here, me and Pam, celebrating our life together, and then Katy just dumps you, ends it.  That, like, sucks man." 

"Uh - yeah.  Sucks."

"Well, I can't say I really saw you guys long term.  I mean she was hot and all, but yeah - you never seemed together."

Sometimes Roy amazed him.

"Just keep your mitts away from my Pammie.  Ya can't have her!"  The big man snorted at his own joke, drunkenly slapping Jim on the back as he laughed.

"Ha - uh - yeah, hands off.  C'mon Roy, go grab Pam and Darryl and I'll drop you back."

He watched his nemesis lumber back inside and then spun, quickly scanning the water for anything that would incriminate him.  He saw nothing but a few bubbles as his secret quickly buried itself in the muck under the water.

 

Chapter End Notes:
Dark?  I know.  I am interested in your thoughts, I'm not sure how this story will play out with our lovely characters...

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans