- Text Size +

Pam slammed her car door and looked at the directions one more time.  She had just filled up her car to leave town and she wanted to make sure she knew where she was going.  She had really wanted to leave last night, but by the time she got from the office to her parents and packed, it was starting to get dark. 

 

“Pam, what are you going to do when you get there?  Do you have a plan?” 

 Pam froze and looked at her mother.  “You think I need a plan?” 

“I think you should think about what you are going to say to him.  He’s a man, Pam.  He thinks you rejected him.” 

Pam hadn’t thought about that, not once.  She sat down on her bed.  “A plan, huh?  You got any ideas?” 

“Not right now, but let’s got get some food and some alcohol.  I’m sure we can figure something out tonight and you can leave in the morning.” 

Pam pulled onto the interstate, humming along to the radio. Just the thought of seeing Jim was making her heart beat faster – she had done the right thing in breaking up with Roy, she knew that now.  She glanced at the directions one last time.  Her mom had made her a reservation at the Marriott in Stamford this morning as she packed, so Pam at least had a place to go.

 

+++

 

She turned off the car and stared at the condo.  She had gotten lost twice and hadn’t checked in until after 5:30.  It was 6:30 now as she stared at his front door.  She double checked the address, which Ryan had helped her get.  She took a deep breath and got out of the car.  She smoothed her hands over her skirt and strolled to the front door.

 

She knocked and knocked and knocked, but got no answer.  “Are you looking for Jim?”  She looked over her shoulder at the older woman who apparently lived next door to Jim.

 

“Yeah, I am actually.  Have you seen him?”

 

“He seems nice.  He came by about an hour ago to make sure he knew how to get to the square.”  Pam backed away from the door and crossed to this woman.

 

“Did he say where he was going?”

 

“No, he didn’t.  Sorry.”

 

“Look, I’m… we’re… I need to find him.  Can you tell me how to get to the square?”

 

It didn’t take her very long to get down there and park.  She walked around for awhile, until she spotted his car.  She ran over to it and looked around; hoping that he was nearby, but she didn’t see him. 

 

She just started walking, running over what she wanted to say to him, what she needed to convey.  A large group was walking toward her.  She did her best to get out of the way, but they ended up pushing her up against a window for one of the restaurants on the square.  She pushed herself off the window and looked in.  She saw him and froze.

 

+++

 

“… so we’re covered in mud and my sister is telling this elaborate story about a rampant cow that my parents are nowhere near buying.  So…”

 

He smiled as she kept telling him her stories.  ‘She’s nice enough’ he thought to himself, ‘but she’s not…’

 

“You alright?”  He felt Janine’s hand on top of his, bringing him back to reality.  He shook his head slightly.  “Yeah, sorry.”

 

“Am I boring you?”

 

“Not at all” he said, smiling widely at her.  She squeezed his hand.  Just then, the waiter came over.

 

“Can I get you all something else to drink?”

 

Jim glanced over at Janine.  “Yeah, how about another bottle of wine.” The waiter walked away and Jim froze eyes wide.  There, staring at him through the window was Pam.

 

“Oh my god” he said.

 

+++

 

“Oh my god” she said, staring at him, holding hands with a beautiful blonde.  She watched as he slowly pushed himself out of his chair, staring at her.  She dug her keys out of her pocket and turned on her heel, running back to her car.

 

TBC…

  

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans