- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
**********************************************************
Jim was right about one thing, he did have to catch her.

They were following the mâitre’d to their table when they looked at each other for a moment and smiled. The floor tiles simulated their European counterparts exactly, down to their unevenness. Her heel caught and pitched her forward.

Jim caught her arm before she could go down. “Whoa! Are you okay?”

“Oh, God,” Pam groaned, “Is there anyway we can go back to the front and start that trip over?” They continued after the oblivious mâitre’d with Jim still holding her arm.

He chuckled, “No problem, Pam,” he said with an air of decisive helpfulness. She looked at him, suspicious. “I’ll explain it to our tour guide. You go ahead and head back.” He waved a thumb over his shoulder towards the front of the restaurant. “Excuse me…,” he started to call out.

“Yes, sir?” the mâitre’d replied as he stopped at a table and gestured towards their seats.

“Yeah, you see she’s…,” he started.

“…wondering if you still have breadsticks?” Pam broke in hurriedly, seating herself and trying not to laugh as she shot Jim a look.

He was obviously a veteran of customer service. “Yes, Miss. We do indeed.”

Jim thanked him then sat down as he walked away. “Man you’re hard to please.” He teased.

She stuck out her palm in mock exasperation. “It’s in writing Jim!" She pointed to her palm. "In writing.”

A waiter popped up to their table like a genie. “Hello, I’m Matty. I’ll be your server this evening,” he in said in passable valley-girl.

“Hello,” Jim replied. “I’m Jim and we’ll be your customers this evening.” He heard Pam snort as Matty’s smile grew wider.

As Matty listed the evening’s specials, Jim noticed Pam’s eyebrows getting higher and higher and her lips pursing. She was obviously trying not to laugh, but at what?

They were left alone to look at the wine menus.

“Oh, my God,” Pam chuckled while staring at him.

“What’s so funny?” he asked.

She looked at him for a moment as though waiting for him to get it, then turned her attention to the menu. She shook her head disappointedly at his quizzical expression.

“I noticed his impression of the blonde guy on ‘Queer Eye’, if that’s what’s funny.” He guessed.

She leaned forward and lowered her voice. “Matty just scoped you out, big-time.”

“What!” he looked across the dining room to see Matty and a female wait-staff with their heads together, shooting the occasional glance over to their table. “No way.”

“I don’t know,” Pam shrugged philosophically. “A little competition’s healthy.” She grinned at him as she looked over, too. “He has a nice butt. You could do worse.”

Jim just stared across the table. God, he’d missed her. “Wow,” he chuckled, leaning back in his chair. “Best date conversation ever”

She feigned surprise. “You mean witty, gay, repertoire isn’t actually on your list of conversation topics tonight?”

He leaned forward again, crossing his arms on the table as he nodded. “You’re right. I’ll have to pencil this in. It’s obviously a great conversation starter with the ladies.”

They saw the waiter head back towards their table with an obvious sway to his hips. Pam tapped her fingers on the table to get Jim's attention as he got nearer. “Bet he slips you his number before the nights out,” she whispered.

“Unbelievable,” he shook his head in amazement as Matty came back to the table.

“I’d like the house red,” he said, trying to keep his eyes off the other man’s too-warm smile. “Pam?” he said pointedly.


“You’re evil,” Jim said decisively as he walked away with their orders.

“Oooh, is that on your list, too?” She looked impressed. “’Cause that’s a good line, there.”

“Well let’s see, date conversations, page one.” he held out a hand as he started to tick them off. “There’s ‘You look great, Pam.’”He looked up from his fingers. “Which you do by the way, in case I hadn’t mentioned it."

She’d drawn her hands down into her lap like she always did when she was nervous, but she was smiling softly. “You didn’t, but thanks.”

“Don’t mention it,” which was what he’d done. He mentally kicked himself. “There’s also, ‘Thanks for coming out with me’ – which gets you brownie points for not squealing at the short notice.”

“Squealing?” She raised her eyebrows and giggled. “Do you get that reaction a lot, Jim?” she asked sympathetically.

“Shh. I’m not done.” He raised his eyes to the ceiling as though in thought as she snorted again. “Oh yeah, then there’s the whining and begging later in the night where I finagle you into agreeing to a second date.”

He spread his hands and shrugged as she continued to giggle. It was so great to make her laugh again. “What? ‘Failing to plan is planning to fail’, Pam.” He said sagely, wagging his finger at her.

“Thanks, Matty,” he said pleasantly when their drinks were brought by. “I’ve got your script in the car, too. You know…in case you forgot your lines.”

Pam leaned on the table and put her chin in her hand as Jim took a sip of wine. “Boy, that’s lucky.” She said in a relieved tone. She could do just this, listening to his voice and his humor, all night. She moved her free hand as though searching for a word. “Because it just so happens that I’m drawing a blank, here.”

“Well, let’s see.” His eyebrows drew together as he tapped his pursed lips with a finger. “Oh yeah,” he cleared his throat. “’You’re awesome, Jim!’” he said in a horrible falsetto. “’This place is amazing, Jim!’, and let’s see… ‘I’m having the best time, Jim!”. He calmly took another sip as Pam’s head touched the table, giving in to the silent, racking laughter. His voice went back to normal as he shook his head in regret. “I should have brought them in from the glove box.”
**********************************************************************
Chapter End Notes:
More still coming!
Please review.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans