- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
****************************************
“So, it’s good then?” Jim grinned as he asked her redundantly.

“Mmmmhmm,” she nodded affirmatively around her chicken cacciatore.

“You know,” he leaned forward and said in a cheeky undertone. “With these walls around us, you do that any louder and you risk getting Meg Ryan references.”

Pam put her hand in front of her mouth, abashed, as she finished her mouthful. “You just hope Matty will hear something that assures him of your sexuality,” she teased back. She nodded towards his plate, “Don’t you like it?”

“What?” he said absently. She was so cute. “Oh! Yeah, it’s great.” He spooned up more lasagna. “I don’t know,” he said referring to her earlier statement, “I think I pretty well took care of that,” he said confidently.

Pam had started to jerk her hand back from his when Matty brought their plates, but Jim had put his other hand on top of hers, keeping it place. She had given him one of her patented pursed lip glares, which meant she was trying not to laugh, along with a shake of her head. She knew what he was doing.

He’d smiled warmly at her. He knew she knew.

They continued to talk as they ate, about each their parents, their friends, and their coworkers.

“I heard about Jan,” Pam admitted. At his surprised look, she shrugged. “Well, you already know about the R.S.N.” she said acceptingly. “Was it as bad as Grace said?”

He remembered Grace, with her Pam-like phone skills. “Probably worse,” he admitted. “I mean, here we’re at least a little numbed to theatrics and a little weirdness,” he laughed at her look. “Okay, a lot of weirdness. But you could see everyone wincing and cringing.” He did a little bit of both. “New Yorkers’ aren’t as tough as they think.”

She smiled in response, then picked at her food. “How did your interview go?” she asked hesitantly.

“Great, I think,” he nodded his head and made Pam’s favorite of his expressions, where is eyebrows raised along with his chin. “At least,” he amended, looking at the table once again, “…up to the part where I asked him to take my name out of the hat.”

“Wow,” She said softly. She knew how much he disliked his job. That statement…along with what he’d done tonight, made her feel like alternately shouting with joy and crawling over the table to sit in his lap to have a little cry. Either, she was sure, would get her kicked out of a restaurant during the best moment of her life.

They sat for a few moments in shy silence once again until Jim took a deep breath and picked up his fork. “Well, eat up, Beesly,” he commanded cheerfully gesturing with his fork at her plate. “And don’t forget the sound effects.”

**********************************************************
Chapter End Notes:
Next: Leaving the restaurant.
Please review, pretty please.
Also, please cut and paste this URL to see my favorite Jim and Pam video at Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZcHDjUNgqE

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans