- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Jim and Pam wait for the car to be brought around.

**********************************************************
“What,” he paused emphatically, “did you do?”

“What do you mean?” Pam asked in feigned innocence. “I didn’t do anything.”

He’d come back from the men’s room to find their dishes cleared and Pam sitting with an obvious air of mischief. He’d seem her make that face a thousand times while they were pulling pranks at the office.

“Riiight.” He drawled as he gave her a hand to her feet. He handed her jacket. “And I would believe you because…”

“You have such a suspicious nature, Jim.” She said and shook her head sadly. “Really. You might look into therapy.”

“Uh, huh,” he said dryly, amused and curious. He gave a short wave back to Matty as they made their way to the front door.

They’d wiled away another hour, catching up in a way, with no references as to the reasons they’d been apart, spatially and mentally. They shared stories and recounted their individual and shared moments of hilarity.

Jim had told her about putting Andy’s stapler in Jell-O and his experiences with online gaming. Pam told him about the funeral/barbeque of the bird in the parking lot and about Dwight’s antics earlier that day with the ‘Schrutte Bucks’. In each telling, they’d shared the mirth along with the silent pangs that they couldn’t relive them together to make each even better.

“So you knew!” She’d said in amazement. “You knew Andy’d freak out like he did when you took his phone,” she pointed at him in accusation and admiration.

“Oh, please,” he pointed right back. “No one could prepare for that. Besides, it was totally worth it and you know it.” He picked up his glass and gave hers a tap in salute. “I’d say that was some of out best work to date.”

“I don’t know,” she’d said. “Do you remember when we…”, and they’d continued on their solo and combined trips down memory lane up to the moment Jim had paid the bill and gone to the restroom.

They left the restaurant and stood side by side under the awning as the valet went to get his car. Jim stood with his hands in his pockets and alternated between looking at his and looking at Pam as they waited. She was swinging side to side as she held her purse and jacket in front of her, like she did when she was relaxed and happy, her hair and her skirt gently swaying with her movements.

“I didn’t forget my line, you know,” she said quickly glancing up at him, then away.

He grinned down at her. “And which one would that be?”

“I am,” she said in heartfelt tones, turning to look him in the eye as she emphasized every word, “Having the best time, Jim.”

He just smiled at her, his full-watt one where all his teeth showed and his ears, which were now fully on display thanks to his new haircut, moved back a full inch, at least. “We aim to please, Beesly,” he said as his gaze moved slowly over face.

They were still standing there smiling at each other a few moments later when his car was pulled up to the curb. He walked her to her side and opened the door.

“Oh, and Jim,” She added, as though an afterthought had occurred to her. “I won.” She said smugly and got in.

He stood at her door and just looked down at her. “Won what?” he asked confused.

“Our bet? You know…about Matty?” She said helpfully.

His mouth fell open. “Oh, no you didn’t.” he said warningly.

“Yup.” She handed him a folded up note with a grin. “Here’s his number.”

**********************************************************
Chapter End Notes:
Next: Driving her home.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans