- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Jim interrupts Pam's interview.
“We never got the timing right, you know? I shot him down, then he did the same to me. But you know what? It’s okay. I’m totally fine.” Pam said cheerily, looking at the camera. “Everything is going to be totally…”.

“Pam”, Jim said forcefully as he shoved open the conference room doors. “Oh, sorry”, he said quickly to the crew. He turned back to Pam, “Um, are…you free for dinner tonight?”

“Yes”, she said simply, slightly dazed.

“Alright,” he tapped the door frame, “Then, it’s a date”, he said resolutely with a slight smile and a nod, and he closed the door.

Pam forgot to breathe for a moment or two as she battled first the happy realization and then the happy tears. It took a few seconds and a few slight shakes of her head before she could address the crew again. “I’m sorry”, she said slightly raspy and smiling. “What was the question?”

“It’s alright”, the interviewer said, grinning at the dazed Pam. She looked at her watch. “You only have another fifteen minutes on shift. She started tugging on the sleeve of the cameraman. “We’ll let you get squared away for tonight.”

After the crew left the conference room Pam twisted the blinds closed to give herself some much needed privacy. She sat down again with her elbows on her knees as she used both hands to press against the bridge of her nose to stop the tears that wanted to come.

What had happened in New York? What had happened with Karen? That they were no longer together was a given…because it was Jim. He had called it a date. Specifically! She’d had a year to reflect back on their friendship and all the tell-tale signs…or rather, how careful he’d been to not label their various interactions as anything other than that of friends.

She had gotten past the tears phase and was sitting in the same position, but with her hands pressed to her hot cheeks when the conference door opened again.

“Pam?” Jim said softly.

She raised her head hurriedly and gripped her hands together in her lap. Jim came and sat in the chair the cameraman had vacated. He didn’t look bored or mischievous, as he often did. He looked calm and …happy.

She new her voice would shake with nerves and emotion, so she tilted her head and raised her eyebrows in question.

But the smile she couldn’t control as of yet.

He smiled back, his becoming a little more nervous as their eyes held. “Is seven alright to pick you up?”

She could feel herself nodding stupidly as she swallowed. “That’s fine. Do you need my address?”

“No,” he said with a slight wave of his hand and a slightly chagrined look towards the floor. “No.” he repeated. “I know where you are.” He had Google-mapped it on his phone when he had come across the information months before.

He reached out and took one of her hands, so much smaller and softer than his. They both stared at the loose connection between them; momentarily quiet, both with soft looks of hope, affection, and trepidation. His thumb came up and swept across the back of her hand.

“I’ll see you at seven, then”, he said quietly let their fingers disconnect. She nodded as they both stood, as her throat had once again closed.

Jim opened the door into the office where everyone was putting on their jackets or gathering their things to leave.

As she passed him, their eyes met one more time. Not as co-conspirators, coworkers, or even friends; but in that tender new dimension that promised to unfold…beginning tonight.
Chapter End Notes:
Thank you for reading. I'll start the date as another set of stories. Feedback is very welcome as this is my first attempt at writing ever.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans