- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Michael waylays Jim as he and Pam exit the conference room.
Yes, this is the same as Date night, but I was figuring out how to add things on. Sorry.
*********************************************************
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters,
settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

********************************************************

Michael hurried out of his office as Jim and Pam left the conference room. “Jimbo! Jim-Man! Are you the ‘big dog now’?” He made an obnoxious and dramatic bow as he stopped in front of him. “All hail the chief!” he said loudly.

Everyone stopped their departure rituals as they waited for Jim’s answer. Pam continued to her desk, but was fumbling with her things as she waited for his response.

Jim stuck his hands in his pockets and rocked his feet back and forth. “No, I didn’t Michael,” he said simply. “I’ll be staying in Scranton,” he said the last as he looked at Pam. She smiled slowly, happily, as her eyes once again glistened.

Michael’s demeanor turned nervous as he beckoned Jim towards his office. “Did they…did David say anything about me?” he asked, laying a hand on his chest.

“No Michael,” he said calmly once again. He looked up through Michael’s office window as he took a seat and caught Pam’s eyes as she made her way to the door begind everyone else.

“What about Karen?” Michael asked loudly.

Jim saw Pam pause with her hand on the knob, then leave in a rush with her head down. That burst his euphoric bubble. Lord knew what she thought about him and Karen. For all she knew, they were still together or that he had dumped her because she had gotten the job. His hands moved restlessly on the armrests as he stilled the urge to get up and run after her to defend his own honor and intentions.

“Well?” Michael said with an exasperated tone.

“Sorry. What?” Jim said.

“Did Karen get it? Are you going to be playing footsie with the new big-wig?” Michael joked slyly.

“Heh.” Jim gave a short, insincere laugh then said seriously. “You know Michael, I don’t think they tell everybody else right away when they decide that. How’s Jan?” He asked quickly before Michael could ask his next Karen-related question.

Michael leaned wearily back in his chair. “You know…she’s a little down,” he gave a little grimace. “I took her to her apartment after we left, buuut she said she didn’t want to be alone right now. Sooo,” he fiddled with the box of his things that Dwight had gathered on his desk. “…she’s at my place right now. I think she took a Xanax.” He abruptly lightened his mood. “But we’re still here, right, right?” He waved his hands back and forth between the two of them. “The dynamic duo. Scranton’s finest. Still in the game,” he said enthusiastically.

“I guess so.” Jim said with a nod and his quirky grin.

“So…you want to go get a drink? Celebrate our sovereignty?” Michael asked, fiddling with the box again, obviously hoping to avoid the doped-out guest in his condo.

Jim raised both hands in feigned exasperation and regret. “Oh, man. I’d love to, but I’ve got plans tonight.” He had called the restaurant from his car on the way back. “Speaking of which,” he got up from the chair. “I’ve got to get going. Tell Jan I’m sorry about her job.”

Michael’s face had fallen at his refusal. He followed Jim out of his office. “Alrighty then. I’ll stay awhile yet. There’s a lot of work piled up for me.” He sighed dramatically. “Yep, Back to the grindstone. Hey!” Jim looked back. “Tell Karen good luck, tonight.”

Jim pursed his lips and gave a short nod. “Right.”

********************************************************************************************************************
Chapter End Notes:
Next: Pam gets ready for the evening.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans