- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Pam gets ready for her date with Jim.
Pam stood in front of her closet in her robe, staring blindly at her choices as she spoke into the phone. “I don’t know, Mom. He didn’t say where we’re going. That’s why I need your advice.”

“Yes, he did say he liked that shirt, but that’s a work shirt.” She sighed in exasperation. “Because, I can’t go on a date in work clothes.” She paused and wrapped her arm around her middle in nervousness. “Not on this date.”

Her mother, a close clothing confidant, suggested something else.

“No.” Pam said more forcefully than she intended. She took a deep breath even as she winced at the memory. “Not that one. It’s too fancy and besides…that’s what I was wearing that night…you know.” She nodded at her mother’s response. “Exactly.”

“I can’t wear the red sweater. It’s too warm outside. Anyway, I’d feel like a siren’s call – Oh, God, now I sound like Angela.” She laughed. “I know. I’m just nervous.”

She looked at the clock. “It’s after six, Mom. I’ve still got to dry my hair.” She smiled, “Okay, I promise I’ll wear something bright. I love you. Bye.” She tossed the phone on the bed and reviewed her closet. Something bright, she thought as she chewed her bottom lip.

Many of the items in her closet had been chosen with an eye to a ‘new Pam’ but hadn’t been test driven anywhere but in her bedroom. Her one foray into new fashions had drawn a lot of unwanted male attention that made her uncomfortable.

Not tonight though, she thought as she brought out one of the new tops; a flattering light blue boat neck top with short sleeves. Tonight she was going to do her best to attract one male’s attention. And while she might be nervous, she wasn’t going to be uncomfortable…unless butterflies counted.

As she continued getting ready she consciously tried not to think of all the questions that she wanted to ask him. It was easy when she thought of how he had looked when he sat across from her in the conference room. She had to put her hairbrush down as emotion flooded her again. She pressed her fingers hard to her mouth as she closed her eyes. He’s staying and their going on a date!

*******************************************************

“Okay Pam,” she said encouragingly into the mirror. “You can do this. Don’t think of it as a date or you’ll freak yourself out.” She pointed commandingly. “There’s no one else there to make you nervous.” She blew the hair out of her eyes and sighed. “You can do that all by yourself.” She smiled. The kind of nervous Jim made her, she could live with.

******************************************************

She put her hair up in a ponytail, then down, then up again after another call to her mother. At 6:45 she was sitting on her couch, chiding herself for agonizing over her shoes. She had on what she had dubbed her ‘date shoes’, though they’d never been used to that purpose. Date shoes were high heels that tortured women’s feet, but made them feel powerful and sexy. And taller, she thought to herself bracingly. With Jim, she needed the taller aspect. You actually didn’t have to walk that much in date shoes. You walked to the car… then sat down. You walked into the restaurant…then sat down. She had this planned. Sore feet were a very, very small price to pay.

She sat up and gripped the couch’s armrest with white-knuckled fingers as she heard another car enter her complex. She relaxed again and blew out a breath as she heard a laughing couple exit and head towards the building. She had to chill out.

That mantra was, of course, shot when she heard another car come in. When the car door closed, she knew it was Jim. For the first time she blessed her thin walls as she could hear his tread on the staircase. She’d know that long-legged stride anywhere.

She walked towards the door as she heard him take a deep breath, then knock. She leaned her head on the door for a moment as another wave of happiness and nerves swamped her.

Then she opened the door.

**********************************************************
Chapter End Notes:
Next: the date commences. Please review.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans