- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Pam opens the door to Jim.
Note: It doesn't sound like a lot, but just stop and count to 10. It's longer than it sounds.
********************************************************************************************************************
Jim’s eyebrows went up along with the corners of his mouth as Pam opened the door.

“Hi,” he said softly.

“Hey,” she said back in the same tone.

They might have stood there a full ten seconds, just grinning at each other, relieved, despite all their nervousness that they had finally arrived at this moment. Jim shook himself mentally. “All set?”

She gave the same mental shake and laughed “Yes. I’m sorry. Come in.” She stepped back and went over the couch where she left her purse and jacket. She turned around to find Jim standing just inside the door, staring at her.

Most people, when they come inside someone’s place for the first time, look around (maybe unconsciously) to see if the space matches what was in their mind for the person. Not Jim. Not this particular time. His eyes had stayed on her even as he’d stepped inside, caught up once again in the sight of her.

It had happened before. He’d just look over at her and he’d get lost in her features, her movements, her voice. But this time was different. All the things about her tonight; her outfit, her hair, her mood... were all about him. He knew it was egotistical…but then he knew what she had looked like when she’d left work.

“Jim?” she asked softly. She'd stopped smiling and was gripping the back the couch with her free hand as though to brace or steady herself. He realized she’d said his name twice now as he'd continued to look at her.

“Yeah.” He cleared his throat and stuck his hands in his pockets. “Sorry. You have a nice place,” he said automatically. He still hadn’t looked around him.

Pam smiled shyly once again. “Thanks. I’m all set now.”

“Okay,” he held open the door to let her through. They smiled at each other. “Let’s do this, Beesly.”

*********************************************************
Chapter End Notes:
Next: The date commences.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans