- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Jim and Pam arrive at the restaurant.

**********************************************************
He’d actually written on her hand. She curled her hand around the words as she tried to contain the giggles that continued to escape.

“Hey, you’re the one who wanted it in writing.” Jim said in mock self-defense. “Whose fault is it if we didn’t have paper handy?”

“You didn’t even look.” She said accusingly as she tried to catch her breath.

True to her statement, at the next stoplight he’d pulled a pen out of his pocket and grabbed her hand. “It’s alright, I have my own.” She’d tried to pull her hand back, but he secured it under his arm as she started to laugh at the feel of the pen in her palm.

He’d written ‘Pam will have fun tonight. X-Jim Halpert’.

She looked up from her hand as they turned onto Moosic Street. “Oh my God,” she said, stunned. “Are we going to…?”.

He nodded and gave his rubber-faced, closed-mouth grin as he reveled at the look on her face. “Yup.”

“You remembered this?” She said softly. She had told him about the Italian restaurant, La Trattiora, years ago. They’d been talking in the break room and she’d told him the story of when her parents had had their twentieth wedding anniversary there.

She'dd been fifteen and she'd remembered everything; the food, the atmosphere, and especially the way her parents had still looked at each other. “It’s my favorite place.” She had sighed.

“So,” he had said, looking into his mug. “Roy must take you there a lot.”

She’d wrapped her hands around her coffee mug and shrugged her shoulders. “Nah.” She’d said dismissively. “It was my favorite place.” She amended. “I haven’t been there since and,” she slowed and finished rather lamely, “…you know…it’s a bit pricey and, anyway, Roy doesn’t like Italian.”

“Hmm,” was all he’d replied.

As far as she remembered, that was the only time she’d mentioned it.

Now they were pulling up to the familiar black and white awning as a young man in a red jacket stepped up to Jim’s door.

“One sec’.” He said to her and got out of the car. He passed over his keys and waived another valet away as he made his way to her door.

She realized she was still gaping in surprise when the hand he’d offered to help her out of the car waved in her face. “Pam?”

“Wow.” She said softly, allowing him to help her out. “I think I’m having fun already.” She said wonderingly, looking up at him.

“Man,” he sighed dramatically. “If it’s taken this whole drive to get to that point, I have got to work on my technique.” He gestured towards the warmly lit entrance. “After you.”

**********************************************************
Chapter End Notes:
Next: Heavy Silence. Please review!:]
Note: La Trattiora is a real Italian restaurant in Scranton. I embellished a bit, but you can read about it on dinesite.com

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans