- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Pam waits the whole day for an opportunity to talk to Jim without any cameras.

3-14-11 Grammatical edits only. No new text.

The day stretched interminably before her.  It was a slow Thursday, offering little to distract Pam from the hundreds of minutes she had to endure before she'd reach 5:15.  She noted the exact time of irrelevant happenings, as if she could will the day forward by marking the passage of time.

At 11:42, Angela surreptitiously dropped a Baby Ruth onto Dwight’s desk.  At 12:04 Kelly succeeded in wearing down Ryan’s resistance and he took her to lunch.  Creed went to the bathroom – and Pam could swear he went into the ladies room – at 12:19, and he didn’t reappear until 12:34.  Oscar and Kevin played a game of hate ball from 12:58 until 1:13.  Pam gloomily noted it all as the day inched along.

At precisely 3:47 Pam’s attention was suddenly focused as she heard Karen say, “So, Halpert – you sure you don’t want to join me?”  Her voice dropped to a sultry purr as she added, “I can make it worth your while.  I don’t mind waiting for you to pack a few things.”

Pam could see Jim’s back stiffen and his head shake almost imperceptibly.  She couldn’t hear what he said, but a glance at Karen’s now stiffened posture and pinched expression left little doubt that Jim was not accompanying his girlfriend on her three-day weekend.

At 4:23 Karen shut down her computer and headed toward the door with a clipped, “See you Monday, Halpert.” 

“Yeah, Monday.  Have a good time with your girlfriends.”

Pam busied herself with faxes, filing and anything else to force the last half hour of the day to pass.  At 4:57 she retreated to the ladies room, hoping, hoping that, if she stayed in there till 5:15, she’d emerge to find Jeff – and his damn camera – gone, but Jim still at his desk.  Just to be safe, she waited till 5:17 and overheard Jim say, “Night, Jeff.” as she opened the door to the office.

Pam scanned the room to confirm that everyone else had fled the office.  Only Jim was left at his desk.  Without a word, Pam returned to her desk, trying to gauge Jim’s mood and mentally rehearsing possible opening lines.  I wish you’d stop being so cruel to me.  Too negative.  You didn’t misinterpret anything.  Maybe too cryptic?  I love you, you know.  Way, way too direct.

Suddenly, Carly Simon’s voice pierced the quiet.  Embrace me you child.  You’re a child of mine and I’m – Jim pulled out his cell phone and opened it without a glance.  “Hi, mom!  What’s up?”  Even with his back to her, Pam could see Jim’s relaxed smile.  Then, for the second time in as many hours, Pam watched Jim’s body go rigid with tension.  “Yes, this is Jim Halpert.  Yes, I am related to Larissa and Theodore Halpert; I’m their son.  Who are you?  Has something happened?”

At 5:34, Jim collapsed into his chair.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans