- Text Size +
She suspects something when he starts wearing green.  A lot.  She doesn’t know when he found time to purge his entire wardrobe and start shopping in the Forest Green section of department stores, but he did.  And it looks great on him.

Really, really great.

One particular Saturday morning, when she stays in bed reading and he decides to actually get up and do something with his day (“Over-rated” she tells him), she watches him sift through the rows of hangers in his closet and pull out a pine green sweater.  He catches her eye in the mirror as he pushes up the sleeves.

“What?”

“When did you start wearing green, like, all the time?  Is this your way of being environmentally friendly or…”

He sits down on the bed next to her to tie up his sneakers.

“I don’t know.  It’s a nice color, I thought my clothes could use a little more flash.”

“So you went with earthy tones.  That makes sense.”

“Shut up,” he says against her mouth and pulls back a little to look at her.

“Hey, you know what I just noticed?”  he asks.  “Your eyes are green.”

She takes her pillow and throws it at him.  “Jim Halpert, you did not just notice that.”

“Uh, yeah, actually I did.  What, you think I’ve known what color your eyes were since the day we met?”  He stops to think about it for only a moment before leaning into her.

“Oh wait, that’s right, I have…” he presses his mouth to hers and almost out of instinct she falls back onto the bed, bringing him with her.

“Hey,” she says in mock protest, short giggles humming through her chest.  “Your parents—“

“So not the time to bring them up.”

“—Are going to wonder where you are.  Come on,” she says as she gently pushes his shoulders away.  He makes a grunt of frustration and places one more sloppy kiss on her collarbone before jumping up to his feet.  He digs through the closet, grabbing his tattered baseball cap and shoves it on the newly grown back hair winging out at his ears.  He grins and waves goodbye to her, and she watches the flurry of soft green disappear around the corner.

The next time she’s out shopping, she finds a green blouse of her own, with small flecks of brown and gold woven intricately through the fabric.  She wears it for dinner at his place that night, smiling to herself when she feels his hand brush across her back as she stirs spaghetti sauce.

Chapter End Notes:
Hope you don't get cavities from too much sweet :)


Wendy Blue is the author of 18 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 8 members. Members who liked Now You're Beside Me, and Look How Far We've Come also liked 1285 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans