- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
A little look at the little man in Jim and Pam's life.

Jackson James Halpert was the kind of kid that, on first impression, made you feel sorry for his parents. He came into this world kicking a screaming, and hadn’t stopped since. Jim’s mom said that he was EXACTLY like Jim was when he was a kid, right down to the floppy hair and playful temperament. But despite his ability to wear you out in a matter of minutes, Jackson was the pride of Pam and Jim’s lives. They loved him more than anything, and cherished every moment they spent with him. As hard as it was for Jim to leave Pam, it may have been equally hard for him to leave his little boy. He fell in love with his little man the second they found out Pam was pregnant. Jackson whined every morning when Jim left for work, and latched onto his leg the second he came home. Jim missed Pam in every way imaginable, but he missed his little son in a way only a father could.

When he called Pam after he got off work, the first thing he did was ask to talk to Jackson.

“Jackson, guess who’s on the phone?” Jim heard Pam call out.

“DAAAAADDY!!!” He heard Jackson yell, commotion, then his voice, “Hi Daddy!”

“Hey, little boy! Are you being good for mommy?"

“Yeah.”

“What did you do today?”

“Play with auntie Debbie.”

“Yeah, you went to Debbie’s house? Did you play with Dexter?”

“Yeah, he licked me! Can we get a doggie, daddy?"

“Uh…” He wasn’t expecting that. “We’ll talk about that after mommy has her baby. Did mommy tell you you’re going to have a little brother? What do you think mommy and daddy should name him?”

“Jackson. I like Jackson.”

“We can’t name him Jackson, silly! That’s your name!”

Jackson giggled, and Jim heard him fidget as his attention span started to waver.

“Hey, Jack. Will you be good for mommy, for daddy? She needs you to be a good boy.”

“Mommy is sad.”

“Mommy is sad? Why is mommy sad?” This was the last thing Jim wanted to hear.

“I dunno. Mommy cried.” Jim heard commotion and then Pam’s voice close to the phone.

“Oooookay, Jackson. Mommy’s turn! Tell daddy bye-bye!”

“Bye daddy! Lub you!”

Jim smiled, and said “I love you, too. Bye, Jack.”

Pam came back on the line, “Uh, so how was work today?” She was trying to change the subject.

“Pam, why were you crying? Is everything okay?”

“I‘m okay….now. Uh, let me put Jackson to bed and I’ll call you back.”

“Okay.”

“I’ll call you in an hour or so. Bye.”

“Bye.”

Jim closed his phone and let out a sigh. As hard as this day had been, he had no idea how hard it was going to get.

Chapter End Notes:
Soo...tell me what you think of this story. I love writing it, but I'm not getting quite the response I was hoping for. I don't want to keep writing if people aren't enjoying it. So, let me know! :)

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans