- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Pam is having a hard time, and so is Jim.

“He had his eyes open?!”

“Yeah, it’s like he knew I was looking at him. He started kicking like crazy when the doctor told me he was a boy. It’s amazing how smart babies are.”

“What’s amazing is the fact that you are actually excited to have triple the testosterone in your house.”

Jim was sitting on his bed with his back against the headboard and his long legs stretched out in front of him. He and Pam had been talking for close to an hour now, and it had only managed to make him more lonely. They hadn’t talked about her breakdown today, he just wanted to savor their conversation for now.

“Did Jackson tell you he wants a dog?” Jim asked.

“It’s all he’s talked about today. What do you think?”

“Well, not until the baby’s born, that’s for sure. I dunno…I’m not opposed to it, and we certainly have more than enough room at this house. Maybe Santa will be nice this year and bring him one.”

“I think Santa’s pretty nice already.” Pam wasn’t hiding her tone.

“Oh, really? How would you know, you know him pretty well?”

“You could say that. He and I are…close.”

“Are you cheating on me, Pam? ’Cause if you are, maybe I should just stay in Arizona.” He was joking, but as soon as he said the words, he knew he’d hit a sore spot. “I’m sorry Pam, I didn’t mean to say that…”

A long pause. Sniff. “I miss you, Jim.”

“I know. I miss you too.” He wanted to cry with her, but he knew he had to be the strong one.

“No, I mean I really miss you. You weren’t there at the ultrasound today, and that just killed me. I had to stay in the room for an extra half hour so I get control of myself. I lost it in there.”

“Oh, Pam. I’m so sorry.” So much for being the strong one, he thought, as a single tear ran down his cheek. He was crying, but he didn’t want her to know.

He cleared his throat in an attempt to try and get rid of the lump that had formed there. “Maybe I should just come home…”

“NO.” She said it a little more strongly than she had wished to. “No, we can do this…together.” Her tears has stopped flowing for a moment. “You’ve wanted this since you were a kid, and I’m not going to let you give up on it just because your emotionally unstable wife had a little breakdown today.”

“You’re right. As always.” Jim wiped away the tears that were trickling down his cheeks. “I’m sorry I wasn’t there.”

“There’s always next time…we’ve still got to try for a little girl, you know.” That made Jim smile.

“You never cease to amaze me, Beesly.”

“If you only knew, Halpert.” Oh, if he really only knew how amazing he is.

“You’ve got to get to bed, young man.”

“I know. Call me tomorrow?”

“You know it. Good night, my Jim. I love you.”

“I love you more. Good night, my love.”

He put the phone on his nightstand and lay down in bed. Sleep came quickly and he dreamt of his little family. Pam, two boys, little girl, dog, and all.

Chapter End Notes:
If you want me to keep going, you'll have to let me know, please!

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans