- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Chapter title from "Chasing Pavements" by Adele.
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.



They had gotten over yesterday's hiccup at lunch easily, both determined to make the best of the week. They didn't discuss it directly, but through many words with double meanings they had come to a solid agreement. It was almost astonishing how much meaning they could force into a conversation about the broken air conditioning in Pam's car.

They both wanted to have a good time at the birthday party and nothing was going to stop them.

Pam had spent the evening of Maddie's party baking a cake that looked like a parrot. Jim had no technical or theoretical experience with baking, so he sat back, offered encouragement and mixed drinks for the two of them.

By the time the cake was decorated, they were both pretty buzzed. Jim was worried about this because the last time he felt like this he had told Michael a pretty big secret. He didn't want to tell the same secret to Pam, but with every mixed drink the secret crept closer and closer to the tip of his tongue. He munched on pretzels and tried to keep his mouth shut.

"There!" Pam exclaimed proudly. She turned the cake around so Jim could see it. "What do you think?"

"Really good," Jim said. "Why a parrot though? That's what I've been wanting to ask."

Pam wiped her forehead with the back of her hand, accidentally smearing orange frosting on her face. She was too tipsy to notice or care. "Well, Maddie used to have a parrot named Ferdinand, and - and he was just... awesome, apparently. She loves birds, too, so I thought - why are you looking at me like that?"

Jim smirked. He wiped his index finger across her forehead to collect some of the icing and licked it off his finger. "You're delicious. If the cake tastes half as good as your forehead, everyone will love you. It. Everyone will love it."

Pam wiped her forehead with her hand, but that only spread the icing even more.

They both cracked up laughing.

* * * * *

Once they had sobered up and changed clothes, they went next door. Maddie's party was in full swing by the time they walked through the front door. People of all ages were milling around the house, talking and laughing. Jim had to admit he'd never seen a turn out like this for a 79th birthday party.

After Pam put the cake in the kitchen, she grabbed Jim's hand and led him to the backyard. Maddie was seated at a table, playing poker and sipping the largest margarita Jim had ever seen in his life. Seated with her was a man about her age, a woman who must have been in her 40s, and a boy who looked like he was a year shy of graduating high school.

"Pam! And Jim!" Maddie exclaimed. She waved them over to the table. "Everybody, my hot date is here!"

Jim smiled and made his way over to Maddie. He leaned down to kiss her cheek and took a look at her cards. "Oh, good hand. I'd be worried."

"Jim, this is Rupert, Darlene, and Little Doug," Maddie introduced. "This is Jim, everyone."

"It's just Doug now," the boy said. He straightened his posture to appear older. "I'm not little anymore. Hi, Pam."

Pam smiled at him. "Hey, Doug. How bad is Maddie kicking your ass tonight?"

"Ah, well." Dough blushed. "I'm doing okay here."

"He'll be mowing the lawn free of charge for a couple months," Maddie said. "I'm beating them all something good. You two want to be dealed in?"

"Nope, I know better," Pam replied. She playfully elbowed Jim in the ribs. "You might be able to steal some of this guy's money though."

"I don't know," Maddie said. She eyed Jim playfully. "He looks pretty sharp... but I'm willing to give it a shot. You up to the challenge, Jim?"

"I think I am," Jim said. "For one hand at least."

"Excellent," Maddie said. "Doug, Pam, could you do me a favor and see how we are on food? I want to have a little talk with this young fellow while I take him for all he's worth."

Doug couldn't get out of his chair fast enough. As they walked back toward the kitchen, Jim could hear Doug talking a mile a minute about his favorite artists. He chuckled to himself.

"Pam's got herself a boyfriend, huh?" he asked.

"Oh my, yes," Maddie said as she dealt the cards. "Little Doug has quite the crush on her. He's a sweet boy. It must be tough to be so in love with a married woman."

Maddie's eyes flashed up at Jim. She held his gaze for a moment before turning her attention back to the cards.

"It doesn't hurt to hope," Rupert said. "Just look at you and Henry. If the poor sap never had hope, you would've been a lonely lady."

"Rupie's got a point," Darlene chimed in. "Even a cynic like you's gotta believe in miracles sometimes."

Maddie shrugged. "I don't know that there's hope for Little Doug there." She looked up at Jim again. "I think that's someone else's place."

"Yeah, how is that husband of hers anyway?" Rupert asked.

Maddie shook her head and looked down at her cards. "Fine, I s'pose. Away on business. I don't know him too well yet. I've heard a lot more about the other people in Pam's life. I guess things are just funny that way, aren't they?"

Jim could feel that tiny ember of hope in his belly start to throw off sparks.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans