- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Yeah, a new chapter! Wahoo! A bit of fluff in this one mixed in with some shocking surprises. A big ol' thank you to Malcom Lake (and a late happy birhtday) because he is the best beta EVER. Also, jimandpaminlove and ISayOye for their constant support!

The next day at work, Pam needed extra cups of coffee; her head was pounding like it always did when she didn’t get enough sleep. Her muscles felt tense, and her eyes kept closing on her. After her nightmare (well, more of a scary dream that was a flashback to a few years ago), she kept waking up, shaking and frightened. Jim would wake up too and would comfort her each time. She looked over at his desk and saw how sleepy he seemed as well. She felt horrible knowing that she was the reason for it. She laid her head down on her desk and closed her eyes which instantly sent a feeling of relaxation throughout her. She figured she would only close her eyes and not allow herself to go to sleep, but it felt so nice…

 

“Sleeping on the job, Beesly?”

 

Her head instantly jerked up and the sudden surge of light made her head hurt. She blinked her eyes a few times and then looked up at Jim who was leaning on her desk and chewing on a jellybean.

 

“I didn’t notice I was asleep.”

 

“Yeah, you were sleeping like a baby. I thought I would come over and wake you up before you started snoring.”

 

“I do not snore!”

 

“Ok, fine. You just make these cute little noises. Oh, and sometimes you sleep-talk.”

 

“What?! I refuse to believe that!”

 

“Come on, Pam, would I ever lie to you?” She raised her eyebrows to that. Jim shrugged and said, “Ok, well I’m being honest! And it’s really adorable.” he said.

 

“Well, at least I don’t mis-button my shirt.”

 

“You’re lying,” Jim said, carefully avoiding looking down.

“Come on, Jim, would I ever lie to you?” she mimicked. He gave her a teasing glare and looked down at his shirt, noticing that it was in fact mis-buttoned.

 

“I’ll fix that later. But first, did you get the e-vite Michael sent out?” Pam was puzzled by Jim’s apparent enthusiasm at an email from their boss.

 

“I haven’t checked my e-mail yet today.”

 

“Oh, well you have to see this,” he said as he made his way around the desk so he was leaning behind Pam. He reached his arm around her, grabbed the mouse, and opened up the invitation. It read:

 

The 10th annual Dundie Awards!

When – 2moro; November 12, 2008

Where - Radisson Lackawanna Station Hotel

Who – The whole Dunder Mifflin Cmpny

RSVP – Michael Scott; Dunder Mifflin Scranton

Evrybdy dsrves an awrd, rite? Well, ths is yer chnce 2 get 1! Come on dwn 2 the wndrful Scranton , Pennsylvania and enjy a nite ful of awrds, dinnr, and drnks. I, Michael Gary Scott, will be hostng it. U will git to hve fun wtching me dnec and sng to sngs dedicated 2 The Dundies.

 

“I can hardly read his computer slang,” Pam said.

 

“I know. That is anything but professional. Then again, we are talking about Michael Scott.”

 

“That’s a good point. And they’re tomorrow? How is he going to have the awards made in time? I mean, he invited the whole company!”

 

“I bet he already has them all made and waiting in the trunk of his car.”

 

She giggled and responded, “That’s probably true.”

 

“I think we should RSVP.”

 

“I second that.”

 

“Well, I think I should probably get back to my desk. I can feel Dwight’s glaring eyes burning on me.”

 

“Okay, but are you up for lunch at Cuginos?”

 

“Absolutely I am.”

 

*****

 

Once people were finally filing out of the office for the day, Jim walked up to Pam’s desk again as she was shutting down her computer.

 

“What do you say we go and catch a movie?” he asked.

 

“I say it sounds like a great idea.”

 

“You know, I’ve kind of been dying to see The Strangers…”

 

“Are you serious? You know how much I hate scary movies!”

 

“But it’s so cute when you get scared and grab onto me!”

 

“That’s not bad, but it’s the teasing I get from you afterwards that sucks.”

 

“If I promise I won’t tease you this time, will you agree to see it with me?”

 

“I’m not sure if you’re liable to keep your promise, but I’ll go anyway just because I will do anything to please my boyfriend,” she said with a teasing tone.

 

“That’s what she said.”

 

“Oh, no. Who are you and what did you do with Jim Halpert?”

 

“What can I say? Being around Michael Scott almost every day has kind of gotten to me.”

 

“It’s a good thing I love you so much.”

 

*****

 

At the movies, Jim and Pam shared popcorn and a Coke but of course, the popcorn was half gone by the time the previews ended. She ate her popcorn one by one which of course, resulted in teasing from Jim. He told her that normal Americans ate popcorn by the handful. Once they finished their Coke, he lifted up the armrest and pulled her close to her. As things began to get scary, she would bury her face into his arm and squeeze her arm shut asking him to tell her when things calmed down. Once it was over and the credits were rolling, they stood up and made there way out to the car. The cold November air bit at their faces as a light snow began to fall. They were almost home when Pam’s cell phone rang. Jim watched as her cheery face fell and a worried look crept onto her face. She set down the phone with a shaking hand and she stared in her lap.

 

“Is everything okay?” he asked as he reached for her hand. She shook her head and tears welled up in her eyes. “Pam, what’s going on?” She squeezed his hand harder and after a moment of silence replied with a tear threatening voice, “The killer… the one from the night a few years ago… he somehow escaped from prison and nobody knows where he is. He promised he would go after me and now that he is free from jail, I think he’s going to try.”

 

Jim pulled into a parking lot at a grocery store and turned off the engine. He pulled her into a hug as she started crying.

 

“I’m not going to let anything happen to you, I promise. And I keep my promises.”

 

“But I don’t want anything to happen to you. If you die—”

 

“Don’t say that,” he interrupted. “I’m always going to be right here with you and I don’t want you to ever think otherwise.”

 

“Okay,” she choked out before her cries turned to sobs. He hugged her closer and rubbed her back as she began to shake. He couldn’t help but feel worried, himself.

Chapter End Notes:
Reviews for the last chapter were ok... I'm hoping that this one will get lots more! Your easiest ticket to a quick update is a lot of reviews, so there you have it!


flonkertonxx is the author of 8 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 2 members. Members who liked I'll Be Your Hero also liked 341 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans