- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

We hear a little bit about Dwight and camp life with him around.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


My loving husband,

I send great news, Richard began his crawling today. Mother and I were in the kitchen baking biscuits and I put the boy down on the floor with his toy. I turned my back for a short moment and when I looked again he was on his knees almost to the doorway. Oh James it was a sight. I will have to keep a keen eye on him at all times.

I received your letter just last week and I read it every day. Seeing your handwriting brings me closer to you. I feel you here at home, with the boys. You are in them and every day I see more and more of the man I love in our children. I hope to receive another letter soon. The mail has become more frequent in town and many of the wives receive word from the battlefield often. There are rumors that other nations may join in with the South.

I have been restless as of late. I have been volunteering with Mrs. A. Schrute at the church. How much better I feel to get out to religious gatherings. We are planning a picnic for the children. Angela was there with her little one too. That child is an odd looking fellow. Mother and I have stopped at the library a handful of times and I got such a good book to read. We try and fill the time with pleasant activities, it keeps the lonely thoughts at bay.

There is excitement of the rebels outside, the night air is full of voices. I know you would excuse me, there have been many persons bothering me while I write. I shall write more when I posses a clear mind and house.

Do write again soon my love.

Your devoted wife,
Pamela

*****

My loving Pamela,

Should there be any seeming lack of punctuality in my answers to your letters, please attribute it to the fact that a military camp is not the best place for writing. Along with the fact the mail in this portion of the country has gotten more irregular. Do know I think of you daily even hourly. Every moment I long to see your eyes again. But the war is not over yet it is just beginning to assume its destructive form. We permitted the South to inflict upon a poor and helpless race of God's creatures and now we must do them their owed justice.

Master Sergeant Schrute shares his letters of Angela back home. I often ask if she speaks of my Pamela, he is cold and unwelcoming of peering eyes yet always obliges in sharing. I have grown fond of teasing him with pleasant tricks. A fortnight ago I relocated his sleeping quarters and personal items and watched him try and locate them. It was quite a laugh. Yesterday he believed it to be the Sabbath and I did not tell him it was not yet. I let him believe it all day and he only realized it a few moments ago. He is smart, yet not quick witted. It shall be an interesting war with him along side me. He believes himself to be Master Sergeant to the Major but I do not know by what he means. He often makes demands as if he were higher ranked but no one pays him any mind. He is the only one following his own orders. He asked the men to list all of their long time ailments for medical purposes and most of us did make up diseases and it pleasantly irritated the Master Sergeant. I kept mine to send home to you and it is enclosed with this letter. I miss you along my side to watch the playful games. You would enjoy the teasing we give the man. I trust you shall not share our secret with the Mrs. Schrute however, I presume you will come up with your own games. You are an amazing woman and I cherish you every so much.

I must come to a close, but remember how much I love you. Send my love to the family, write soon, and let it be a long letter.

Your devoted husband,
J.R. Halpert

enclosure:
James R. Halpert's long term ailments

Salted-beef fingers
Black Death
Dysentery - must eat any Master Sergeant rations of hardtack crackers to calm the stomach. It must be Hardtack and they must be a Master Sergeant's rations.
Killer Miniture Spiderblobs - must rub vinegar on my skin to cease from turning into the king spider.

 

Chapter End Notes:


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans