- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
this chapter is not very long either...sorry. Angst is on its way.
Jim walks in, slouched, hands in pockets. The usual. He wears a blue striped scarf and pea coat, with his messenger bag carefully hanging over his shoulder.

“My name is Jim Halpert..I’m new here…”

She looks up at the sound of his voice, not sure whether she should laugh or cry. She begins to stand to hug him, but catches herself and sits back down. She decides to smile.

She feels pathetic sitting in her seat, because it has been a good seven months, so the least he’d expect from his best friend would be a hug.

"Oh my God. I can't believe it's really you!" she whispers, as she covers her mouth with both hands. Her eyes widen. She swears she feels tears, but she fights them away.

Jim starts heading around her desk, but she doesn’t rise to meet his hug. “What’s the matter Beasley?”

She tries to laugh off the awkwardness. “Oh! Nothing! My foot… it’s been bothering me, that’s all. But it’s totally okay.” She smiles. “I’m just really glad you’re here.”

He slips away from her work area, and thumps on the reception counter. He seems confused. "Yeah. Me too."

---

She swears she’s been holding the contents of her bladder in for years, but she doesn’t have the guts to march to the ladies room and back…not with his eyes on her.

Her opportunity finally arises when he gets up and walks over to Karen’s desk. She is confused though. Why do they keep looking at each other, and why does she keep visiting his desk?

He leaves her desk, looking disappointed. Karen sighs and continues to work. He walks up to reception with a half-hearted smile. “Hey Beasley, I’ve got an hour off. Can you grab a bite?” She looks around anxiously. She needs an excuse…and to pee. “Hey, well, Michael has this...report...that he needs me to, um, help him write. He’s got me on a tight leash. Maybe you could bring me something back?”

Jim sighs, but manages to maintain his side smile. “Oh yeah, definitely,” he breathes. “It’s just great to see you again. I thought we could catch up.”
She begins to bounce her legs. “Oh, I definetly agree. Maybe tomorrow? That would be real nice." He looks down and begins making his way out the door. “Yeah. We’ll talk about it later, then, I guess. I’ve got to run…”

“Yeah! Hey, thanks for asking though. I’ll take you up on this later.”

“No worries, Beasley.” He is out the door.

She dashes to the bathroom.


Xearth is the author of 0 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 2 members. Members who liked The Things They Carried also liked 1656 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans