- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Chapter Four
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

The next morning, Jim and Pam arrived at the office at around 8:00… a good half an hour before Dwight would get there. As they closed the door behind them and sat down, they heard the Cullens walk in.

“Pam, did we come early enough?” Bella asked worriedly. “We aren’t late, are we?”

Pam kept a completely stone-straight face. “You are late, Bella. Jim will not be pleased.”

Edward arrived at Bella’s side swiftly, his face also set in stone. “Is this one bothering you, my dearest mate?”

Pam snorted, covering her mouth to hide her giggles. “You’re really good!”

“Don’t encourage him,” Bella warned. “It’ll get to his head.”

Pam rolled her eyes. “I live with this ham,” she said, pointing at Jim. “And his head is already the size of a watermelon. Trust me, I’m used to it.”

Jim swooped in and kissed her on the cheek. “It just gets better. I called someone else to come in early.”

“Here I am!” said the tiny voice of Alice Cullen, suddenly becoming melancholy. “How may I be of assistance?”

“Just act like you’re suspicious of us,” Bella giggled.

“You can start by helping us close the blinds,” Jim offered, and they did. They all started closing all of the blinds in the office, making sure that no light got in.

Jim heard the door, and quieted all of them. “Sit down,” he whispered. “And remember to be still.”

Dwight entered the office, and upon seeing the five people there, he froze. “What is the meaning of this?”

“The normal hour that we arrive is much too bright,” Pam said.

“We decided to come in at a more convenient time,” Bella added.

“Is that a problem, Dwight?” Edward asked. “That you are all alone with us?”

Dwight gulped and placed his briefcase on his desk. “Of course not. I’m not afraid of you.”

“Why would you be?” Pam asked innocently.

Dwight ignored her and went to sit down, but before he could, Alice walked up to him. And began pulling him towards the kitchen. He followed timidly.

“I’m sorry, but it wasn’t safe to talk out there.” Alice said, looking directly at Edward, who was doing a fantastic job at hiding his laughter.

“What is it that you want to talk about, Alice?”

“Well… Bella and Edward have been acting very strange lately. They’re always looking at my family like we’re some sort of food or something. It’s getting freaky.”

Dwight quickly got worried. “Anything else?”

“Just that yesterday I asked them if they wanted to go outside and play some baseball, it’s always been a family sport you know? So at first they were all for it, but then the sun started to come out, and they wouldn’t come with us. The next thing I knew, they disappeared into the woods.”

Dwight started to get more worried as Alice continued. “Another thing. Last night they didn’t come home. I just saw them for the first time at the office today because they called me in early. I remember them saying something about respecting Jim’s wishes…what does that mean? And why am I here so early?”

“I think that it would be in your best interest to stay away from those two family members of yours,” Dwight warned. “Stay away from Jim and Pam as well. These are dangerous times, young Alice.”

Dwight left her in the kitchen and went back to his desk. He began to work. Jim let him type for about five minutes before he rose, covering his mouth.

“Pamela,” Jim said robotically. “Please come here. My teeth are feeling funny. You must check them for me.”

“Of course,” Pam said, mimicking his tone. When she peered into his mouth, she gasped. “Oh my. Master, you’re showing.”

Dwight immediately jumped up. “Showing what? As a volunteer sheriff’s deputy I have the right to know.”

Jim turned away. “Nothing that concerns you. You are just a mere mortal.”

Dwight gasped, but before he could say anything, a few people started to file into the office. “Damn it, Jim,” he cursed, sitting down and turning on his computer.

Jim and Pam smiled at the Cullens. It was going to be a fun day.

----

Soon the rest of the co-workers came into the office. The day started off normally, people were doing their jobs. Then the camera crew asked Dwight if they could have a short interview with them. Dwight nodded his head and they went to the conference room.

The camera-man asked Dwight about the new people in the office.

“They seem like very nice people, but I don’t trust any of them. Especially the young couple, Bella and Edward. I believe Jim has already gotten to them. I fear for the rest of their family, as well as everyone else in the office.” Dwight took a pause. “I don’t want to kill anyone. But if matters get worse, I might have to do something drastic.”

Dwight came back into the office, and everyone ignored him as usual. He glanced over, and Jim was glaring at him. Dwight tried hard to ignore it; he didn’t want to get on a vampire’s bad side.

Dwight looked at the clock: 11:30, it was time for his lunch break. He looked around the office then he went to Michael’s private office. “Michael?”

“Yes, Dwight?”

“I’m going out for my lunch break. Be careful.”

Michael responded without even looking up. “Have fun.”

Dwight was concerned about how little Michael worried about this situation, and he knew that there was one other person that he had to talk to before he left. He walked by accounting, and as he was walking past Angela, he quickly and quietly said, “Kitchen. Now.”

He walked over to the kitchen and waited for Angela. After a few seconds Angela got up from her desk and walked into the kitchen. Dwight and Angela had gotten good at the whole, pretending to not be talking to each other thing.

Then Angela said, “Is something the matter, Dwight?”

“Stay away from Jim and Pam, and the two new workers, Bella and Edward.”

“Why?”

“Just do it, woman.”

Then Dwight walked out of the kitchen and grabbed his coat. Jim was standing by Pam’s desk, and just as Dwight was heading out the door, Jim murmured, “Goodbye Dwight.”

That only made Dwight walk faster. He fled to the parking lot, and as soon as his foot hit the gas, he started to head towards the grocery store.

Once he got inside and found a huge section of garlic, he got as much as he could in his hands. He also walked to the plants section and found wild roses and hawthorns. He did his research, and knew that these items would scare away vampires. Once he got a good number of all of his supplies, he walked up to the cash register.

The clerk laughed. “Hunting vampires?”

Dwight’s eyes widened. “Have you seen any?”

The salesperson was trying hard not to laugh. “No I’m afraid not. That’s going to be 73.87.”

Dwight had bought a lot of supplies.

He decided to leave his supplies in his car. Tonight he would stay late and plant them around the office; he couldn’t risk any of the vampires seeing him. As soon as he got into the office he noticed that both Jim and Pam were missing. He started to worry for a minute, but then he realized it was their lunch break, they had started to recently go out for lunch instead of staying in. This worried him.

By the time Jim got back, Dwight had been doing even more research. Apparently, vampires could feed on animal blood during the day. Were Jim and Pam feeding on animals during lunch? He shuddered and looked around: no vampires. He bent down to tie his shoe, and when he looked back up, Jim was sitting at his desk.

“Why hello, Dwight.”

Dwight let out a yelp. “Hello, Jim.”

“I was walking by your car earlier today.”

Dwight’s eye opened wide. He realized that he had left the garlic and the flowers in the backseat of his car; anyone could see them.

Jim continued, “Are you planning some sort of gathering, Dwight?”

“Yes.” He had to be very careful with his choice of words. “A party.”

“What kind of party, Dwight?”

“A… night time party.”

Jim then looked very serious, and slightly deadly. He glared at Dwight. “And who has been invited to this party?”

Dwight looked at Edward, he was also glaring at Dwight. He looked around the rest of the office. Pam was glaring straight at Dwight, and so was Bella. Nobody else.

Dwight cleared his throat. “It’s a family party.”

“Family,” Jim repeated in a murmur. “Interesting.”

Dwight looked up and realized that Jim was leaning in extremely close to him. When Jim was aware that Dwight knew what he was doing, he straightened his back. “Have fun at your party, Dwight.”

Dwight nodded his head and then started to get back on his work.

Edward walked over to Jim’s desk. “Sir-”

Dwight stopped concentrating on his work, and shifted his attention to the conversation, keeping his head down in order to be incognito.

“I told you to call me Jim at work. Imbecile.”

“I am sorry, Jim. I just wanted to make sure that our plans were the same for tonight.”

“As always.”

“Good. We are quite thirsty.”

“I thought you would be.” Jim looked around. “We have said too much, get back to work.”

Edward scampered back to his computer, typing frantically.

Dwight continued on with his work, but he knew that he needed to stop these four vampires from taking over Scranton. But how?

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans